Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@GoBlue88,
I point all this out because, there's a very good chance that you did not get a new eMMC back when your center screen was replaced. They likely removed your MCU, tore it down, replaced the center screen and back together. So, you had the same eMMC and same eMMC future problems that you recently are dealing with.
Thanks Akikiki.

2 pieces of evidence though make me question this. First, If they only replaced the screen, why would the back of the MCU casing have a 2018 manufacture date on it? Wouldn't it still show the original 2014 date?

2nd, why would my service invoice say the tech removed and replaced the MCU as opposed to just replacing the touchscreen?

mcu swap.png

Reactions: Akikiki
Thanks Akikiki.

2 pieces of evidence though make me question this. First, If they only replaced the screen, why would the back of the MCU casing have a 2018 manufacture date on it? Wouldn't it still show the original 2014 date?

2nd, why would my service invoice say the tech removed and replaced the MCU as opposed to just replacing the touchscreen?

View attachment 546033
I bow to your better information - just like the government does. Tuck tail and hide when presented with current facts :)

I see Tony has verified the age. Yeah, I really think this was a new eMMC in 2018 which makes it a bit disturbing that I only got about 2 years out of it.

Thanks for all your help, Akikiki and Tony. You guys rock!

Unfortunately for another owner, they saw your 2 year and subtracted another. I'm working with a failing 2019 chip.

On the other side I still have people calling for preventive on 2012 and 2013 car/chips. Thankfully!

I see Tony has verified the age. Yeah, I really think this was a new eMMC in 2018 which makes it a bit disturbing that I only got about 2 years out of it.

Thanks for all your help, Akikiki and Tony. You guys rock!
I was reading some post of some failed eMMCs from cars in Europe. Those were not the 8GB chips. These guys were reporting a bad batch of 32 and 64 GB chips. Several owners and also repair folks were reporting chip failures after recent replacements. So its possible there's some short life eMMCs out there.

Failing 2019? That's a MCU2? 32 GB chip? Tell us more that you can.

Its a MCU1, Remember the replacement MCU's being refurbished was reported not that long ago. It is a 8 gig chip. This was in a older car where Tesla replaced the mcu due to a failed screen. Had they gotten a new screen their MCU would likely have continued working instead of giving them issues.

My chip got replaced last January for a 16 Gb Swissbit. At that time, some files had errors. I did a factory reset and everything worked fine from then on. Then it turned out that my chip was in a bad batch of chips, so I got a new one again.

My car is a 2016 December 30th build so quite young, but I drive it a lot. When I got the random reboots and failing updates, I did a preventive replace. So now I am relaxed waiting for the MCU upgrade, which will probably be late this year for EU owners.

Reactions: EV-Fixme
I just got an update from Tesla -- Apparently, the eMMC didn't fail, but rather, the filesystem was 100% full, and as a result, some databases got corrupted and required the MCU to be reformatted and factory reset -- but didn't require a hardware replacement. Pretty absurd failure in any event -- why should the filesystem ever fill up on an embedded system with no end-user access?

It's not like I had loaded up a bunch of home movies on here and didn't get around to deleting them.

I just got an update from Tesla -- Apparently, the eMMC didn't fail, but rather, the filesystem was 100% full, and as a result, some databases got corrupted and required the MCU to be reformatted and factory reset -- but didn't require a hardware replacement. Pretty absurd failure in any event -- why should the filesystem ever fill up on an embedded system with no end-user access?

It's not like I had loaded up a bunch of home movies on here and didn't get around to deleting them.

It can happen, we have occasionally seen the file system get full. Usually by their updating process. It does not happen enough for us to really look into why and easier for us to just kill it. It's on my long list of to do's but pretty close to the bottom.

Keep in mind the corrupted db's still could be signs since all emmc do wear out eventually. Until your out of warranty, let them deal with it. Once your out of warranty, then get it upgraded.

Pardon me if this was obvious, but I didn't see any info on how much the emmc replacement costs?

Also, I have a 2015 that is STILL on v8 with V10 staged for update (yellow clock) which is how I want to keep it for now. I don't want to upgrade but might for several reasons. If there's a favorable settlement in the batterygate lawsuit, I might have to upgrade to see if my battery gets capped. I also might just give in at some point if I feel I have to have remote app access again.

My MCU seems to be fine. It was replaced 2 years ago (65K miles ago) during my 50K service which came with a free LTE upgrade. Its had 2 or 3 periods of random reboots that seem to happen 2 or 3 times then it's fine for months and months. I thought it might be an imminent failure but then it never did.

Eventually it will fail so I'd rather be pro-active.

Pardon me if this was obvious, but I didn't see any info on how much the emmc replacement costs?

Also, I have a 2015 that is STILL on v8 with V10 staged for update (yellow clock) which is how I want to keep it for now. I don't want to upgrade but might for several reasons. If there's a favorable settlement in the batterygate lawsuit, I might have to upgrade to see if my battery gets capped. I also might just give in at some point if I feel I have to have remote app access again.

My MCU seems to be fine. It was replaced 2 years ago (65K miles ago) during my 50K service which came with a free LTE upgrade. Its had 2 or 3 periods of random reboots that seem to happen 2 or 3 times then it's fine for months and months. I thought it might be an imminent failure but then it never did.

Eventually it will fail so I'd rather be pro-active.

We have not posted yet.

Currently we do it for $500 + shipping for a 32 gig Swissbit running in 16G endurance mode with 5 working day turn around. We are getting ready to change the package a bit. However will keep this price for now, and will update the main page later. Think people will be really happy with the new package. Sorry no leaks.

Oh that's a great idea on the wait for battery gate. I'm still running 2018.50.

Anything prior to 2016 we recommend upgrading soon, Even newer cars don't have a huge advantage in waiting. We are just waiting for more upgrade speed improvement confirmations to make it official.

@Muzzman1 any reports on the speed difference? You may need a few more days while things settle in...

We have not posted yet.

Currently we do it for $500 + shipping for a 32 gig Swissbit running in 16G endurance mode with 5 working day turn around. We are getting ready to change the package a bit. However will keep this price for now, and will update the main page later. Think people will be really happy with the new package. Sorry no leaks.

Oh that's a great idea on the wait for battery gate. I'm still running 2018.50.

Anything prior to 2016 we recommend upgrading soon, Even newer cars don't have a huge advantage in waiting. We are just waiting for more upgrade speed improvement confirmations to make it official.

@Muzzman1 any reports on the speed difference? You may need a few more days while things settle in...

Thanks. The other factor that I forgot to mention is if there's any chance they'll offer MCU2 for pre ap2 hardware I would jump on that, but again only after battery gate is resolved since I don't want to be capped if I can help it. That said, the first time I have to have repair at the service center, they won't do it until I update the firmware to current.

I tried multiple times. They don’t do this.

I tried multiple times. They don’t do this.
Hi,
I have read that an Austrian guy who had his eMMC replaced by LuckyLuke got the Tesla certificates after legal action as the Tesla policy contradicts EU-consumer laws which state that a manufacturer has to supply parts and info to 3rd party repairers to keep the product in working order.

Reactions: goRt
Sorry to hear. I recommend you pull the A/C fuse. Else if you can still charge it, its going to drain your battery. Answer to your last question next. Yes, Tesla has posted that all cars will be able to get the MCU2 Upgrade. But right now, they are working backwards, newest first. I am sorry to say, that I predict you are 9-12 months out before you will be invited for 2013 to buy the MCU2 Upgrade. In the meantime, I recommend you reach out to @EV-Fixme for some reasonably priced help to get you til you can get the MCU2 Upgrade. Just wonderin' how many miles did your car have when the MCU failed?

Reactions: EV-Fixme
Hi,
I have read that an Austrian guy who had his eMMC replaced by LuckyLuke got the Tesla certificates after legal action as the Tesla policy contradicts EU-consumer laws which state that a manufacturer has to supply parts and info to 3rd party repairers to keep the product in working order.

Some countries are getting better support. Hopefully Tesla will supply this level of support worldwide. Everyone can let Tesla know it's wrong they dont supply owners what they need to repair their cars.

Reactions: KJD and Akikiki