Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car and your decision, but there is now way in hell that I would be doing a road trip under those conditions. Do yourself a favor and get the car fixed before you leave town.

Yeah this could be a poor choice but..rock and a hard place. I did set a service appt for soonest availabe time of the 11th next week. Who knows if that will happen since I have seen the lack of availability for replacements going on right now.

I also tent a text to my ranger asking I could pay him labor to remove and reinstall for me, if so I can ship the board off for an expedited return and still make the trip out.

well, my 2013 S85 with 86,132 miles navigation stopped working and failed to download the maps. The ranger was nice enough to try to help me out when I texted him as I was lost driving around with all five kids in the car (my non-existant navigation skills is another discussion) he got a failure code that he said was imminent Emmc failure and that my cars screen may go black and it be unable to charge at any time.

wish there was somone who could do this emmc recovery and upgrade local to me, timing is also terribly bad as we will be taking that same car to the corn fields of Iowa to visit family on a farm in less than 2 weeks. View attachment 548695
I’d suggest a rental car for that kind of trip if you can’t get the eMMC fixed beforehand. If the car refuses to charge, your towing bill, SC visit and family disappointment will be much more costly than the rental bill

Since when did MCU1 swap drop to 1500? that would at least be a silver lining for me vs 2200-2500 last I knew.
Probably when MCU2 happened. At any rate if you go for the swap out, don’t let them charge you $2500 for an MCU1. I was quoted $2500 initially back in March and then when I questioned the SC about whether that was for an MCU2, they said “oops” and revised the quote to $1500. Ended up just rewriting the chip for $170. But then the screen died again in May and they quoted me $1500 but had “no ETA” on replacement MCU1’s.

I went to Tony instead.

So if I drive down to OC from with my 2017 Model S, how long would it take Tony to remove and replace the eMMC? I don’t see any issues yet, but just planning ahead to get it replaced preemptively. Also, once work is done by Tony, would the car be back to normal again or would I need to complete the install process with a Tesla dealership for some reprogramming, etc?
Finally, how expensive is the replacement process?

So if I drive down to OC from with my 2017 Model S, how long would it take Tony to remove and replace the eMMC? I don’t see any issues yet, but just planning ahead to get it replaced preemptively. Also, once work is done by Tony, would the car be back to normal again or would I need to complete the install process with a Tesla dealership for some reprogramming, etc?
Finally, how expensive is the replacement process?

For a preventive it takes up to 5 days with regular service. and we can do up to 3 days with express service. No other additional visits are needed anywhere else. MCU may be more responsive, and you might not notice any differences, for a very long time (desired outcome) :)

Some more interesting tidbits.

Recently a 2018 car with a failed MCU showed over 3000 writes, Unit also appears to be a refurbish, so not totally sure of the story of this one.

2015 car with 2300 writes and failed, lots of corruption on all partitions. Thankfully got the keys.

So, 2016 and older cars, should get a upgraded chip soon, to ensure smooth operation, and improve performance.

Some more interesting tidbits.

Recently a 2018 car with a failed MCU showed over 3000 writes, Unit also appears to be a refurbish, so not totally sure of the story of this one.

2015 car with 2300 writes and failed, lots of corruption on all partitions. Thankfully got the keys.

So, 2016 and older cars, should get a upgraded chip soon, to ensure smooth operation, and improve performance.
Wow, seems like some of the replacement MCU’s are having even earlier eMMC failures than the originals. Any theories as to why?

I was told by the tech here more than likely the MCU is out. Unfortunately, for me here there is non available. Not even MCU 1. They have no date when they expect get some. He said unlikely I can get MCU 2. If you plan to take it to SC make sure they have one available. Also, I wanted MCU 2 with LTE. 3g will be shut down Feb 2022. So, the replacement with another MCU1 will only be good for a year and a half. I'm thinking of just waiting it out until MCU 2 become available for our cars.
Holy crap man, that sucks. I don’t know about your situation but my car won’t charge so I’m in a bit of a tough spot because I don’t want the battery to fail due to no charge. I just dropped of my car at the SC and they said they will have one in 5 days. I wanted to wait but once I drove there I didn’t have enough charge to get back and so I just told them to fix the GD thing. They quoted me 1800$ so I’ll just have to lube that up and take it. Good luck to your situation, *sugar* sucks

If you send us the board, we can let you know if recovery is possible. Additional trying is not a good idea as that generally can lead to loss of the important car key files.
Just ended up dropping it at the SC, car won’t charge and I’m I was loosing range while it sat there without being able to do anything about it. I have to go on a work trip so I didn’t have many options or time available. Appreciate the reply

Holy crap man, that sucks. I don’t know about your situation but my car won’t charge so I’m in a bit of a tough spot because I don’t want the bat
Holy crap man, that sucks. I don’t know about your situation but my car won’t charge so I’m in a bit of a tough spot because I don’t want the battery to fail due to no charge. I just dropped of my car at the SC and they said they will have one in 5 days. I wanted to wait but once I drove there I didn’t have enough charge to get back and so I just told them to fix the GD thing. They quoted me 1800$ so I’ll just have to lube that up and take it. Good luck to your situation, *sugar* sucks
I was just quoted the same. I'm fortunate my car can still charge. I was in California when it went out. I was able to drive it home. I'm rescheduled for June 22.