Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my 2013 s85 was dropped off with the Denver Evan's SC today, so here's hoping they get this fixed before my planned trip at the end of next week or this will have just been one big waste of money and added aggravation. Cant wait till I can get scheduled with my ranger to take it all apart again so I can ship it off for a more permanent fix!

Well, my 2013 s85 was dropped off with the Denver Evan's SC today, so here's hoping they get this fixed before my planned trip at the end of next week or this will have just been one big waste of money and added aggravation. Cant wait till I can get scheduled with my ranger to take it all apart again so I can ship it off for a more permanent fix!

Hi, if the car was dropped off so Tesla can erase and reprogram the chip, there is a high chance it may be stable for a little bit but get worse faster. Think of it this way. The house is falling apart because the foundation is broken. The house is rebuilt on the broken foundation, the new house will not last long.

Hi, if the car was dropped off so Tesla can erase and reprogram the chip, there is a high chance it may be stable for a little bit but get worse faster. Think of it this way. The house is falling apart because the foundation is broken. The house is rebuilt on the broken foundation, the new house will not last long.

No, it was for them to replace with another so this trip can happen and then after this trip get scheduded for my ranger to remove it again so I can ship it to you for that upgrade replacement. I would never pay tesla to reflash a failing chip before a critical trip lol.

Reactions: EV-Fixme

if your buying a new/refurbished it should have a 4 year warranty.

if your buying a new/refurbished it should have a 4 year warranty.

lol well I will find out, maybe? not sure the warranty is really worth anything to me honestly...I mean it will only be harder on my family who relies on the car in the future when it fails again in 4yrs and 1hr

At this point with the current situation it would be less hardship without the car now rather than later. Gets amplified later as 5 kids will be 4yrs older and prob a more complicated schedule than now.

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur
lol well I will find out, maybe? not sure the warranty is really worth anything to me honestly...I mean it will only be harder on my family who relies on the car in the future when it fails again in 4yrs and 1hr

At this point with the current situation it would be less hardship without the car now rather than later. Gets amplified later as 5 kids will be 4yrs older and prob a more complicated schedule than now.
I hear ya. I'm struggling with a similar decision. I'd go MCU2 (I have out of warranty due to mileage 2017 with pre-paid FSD so I'm eligible) but I don't want to drop FM radio.

The car sits in the garage mostly unused these covid days, so it would be perfect timing...

No, it was for them to replace with another so this trip can happen and then after this trip get scheduded for my ranger to remove it again so I can ship it to you for that upgrade replacement. I would never pay tesla to reflash a failing chip before a critical trip lol.

As luck would have it, and maybe it helps having a bit of a history with him already the parts acquisition guy (wont post his name for his sake) at the Denver Evan's SC was able to procure me a replacement so that it would arrive same day I dropped off the car even though others I spoke with said it could not be orderd untill my car was off the road on tesla property due to the current shortage. So it should be ready for pick up by EOD tomorrow! He truly is an amazing guy.

Reactions: EV-Fixme
As luck would have it, and maybe it helps having a bit of a history with him already the parts acquisition guy (wont post his name for his sake) at the Denver Evan's SC was able to procure me a replacement so that it would arrive same day I dropped off the car even though others I spoke with said it could not be orderd untill my car was off the road on tesla property due to the current shortage. So it should be ready for pick up by EOD tomorrow! He truly is an amazing guy.

Just another small update to this, no data at all was recoverable from my mcu so had to start over after Tesla replaced it as it had none of my settings at all, factory setting. Also it appears they replaced the entire mcu+screen as a unit as I no longer have a screen protector which leaves me to now wonder if I will end up with the screen yellowing issue because of that. Those issues aside, it was an exceptionally quick turn around and will be able to make the planned trip without worry.

Also still plan to have my ranger out in a month when back to remove the MCU so I can ship the board off to be cloned and upgraded, warranty or no warranty doesnt matter to me.

Just another small update to this, no data at all was recoverable from my mcu so had to start over after Tesla replaced it as it had none of my settings at all, factory setting. Also it appears they replaced the entire mcu+screen as a unit as I no longer have a screen protector which leaves me to now wonder if I will end up with the screen yellowing issue because of that. Those issues aside, it was an exceptionally quick turn around and will be able to make the planned trip without worry.

Also still plan to have my ranger out in a month when back to remove the MCU so I can ship the board off to be cloned and upgraded, warranty or no warranty doesnt matter to me.
The newest screen RevC is supposed to not yellow or bubble. As noted by Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Knightowl
Recently we have received a few tegra with bubble wrap only. Please make sure to also put the bubble wrapped tegra into a small box. I'll update instructions to be more clear.

And make sure to use a anti-static bag, I've posted a link to see what they look like or buy some.

Make sure if you have someone repairing your eMMC they recover your data before the chip removal. The eMMC removal process uses heat and can often destroy failing chips. Removing the chip to extract the data is a lot more risky but a cheaper less time intensive process. We value your data and take every measure to provide safety and top quality service by safely attempting to recover the data prior to upgrade.

Last edited:
Oops that sounds like me. I hope all is well.

I really miss my Tesla. Yes I know technically it's driveable but I have another vehicle I can use. Unfortunately it's a 2001 Ford cargo van on its last legs. Plus I'm adding the power frunk and home-built bio filter while everything is in pieces.

Yes, yours was one like that and fine. Please share when finished with all your mods!

Starting with firmware 2020.12+ Tesla appears to have started helping the 3rd party repair community by backup up the key cert files to help increase odds of recovery. This should help us be successful in restoring blacked out MCU's!
1f603.png

I do NOT recommend anyone with failing MCU's upgrade to that version, rather they should get theirs fixed asap. As upgrading a failing MCU increases chances of owners key files being lost.
I do love Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I'm not talking about that MCU.

Starting with firmware 2020.12+ Tesla appears to have started helping the 3rd party repair community by backup up the key cert files to help increase odds of recovery. This should help us be successful in restoring blacked out MCU's!
1f603.png

I do NOT recommend anyone with failing MCU's upgrade to that version, rather they should get theirs fixed asap. As upgrading a failing MCU increases chances of owners key files being lost.
I do love Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I'm not talking about that MCU.

Are they backing up in their servers online? Or just on another partition in the eMMC? If on their servers, is there a process for 3rd party repair community to request the certs for specific vehicles?

Reactions: whitex
Are they backing up in their servers online? Or just on another partition in the eMMC? If on their servers, is there a process for 3rd party repair community to request the certs for specific vehicles?

It's on a separate part of the eMMC. Sometimes we get boards that no longer identify a chip on the board. So this may help buy some time for the chips that read as 0's. Tesla can generate the cert, so this is still a big help to owners and 3rd party repair by them.

• Informative
Reactions: CravingMender9
It's on a separate part of the eMMC. Sometimes we get boards that no longer identify a chip on the board. So this may help buy some time for the chips that read as 0's. Tesla can generate the cert, so this is still a big help to owners and 3rd party repair by them.
Did you mean carkey.tar file? I came across it in 2019.32.12.3 (see this post), so maybe they've been doing it longer?
Or is there some new method?