Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my screen is dead, it was on then I got out and it won't power back on. But it's intermittent failure so it may come back on again ‍♂️
Anyway what is the turnaround time? I'm in So-Cal (fort Irwin) and I need my car to be functional by 9 July. If I was to ship to you next day, on like Tuesday/Wednesday how quickly would you be able to get me back my card so I can reinstall?
Thanks

Hi, Our standard turn around is 5 working days, we do have express service which is 3 working days or less. I'll PM you and you can call us in the morning.

Thanks!

yep, I got hit with the MCU eMMC Issue on my 2013 P85+. Last august I had to get the screen replaced for 1100.00 Now this repair will cost 1600.00 and it comes with another screen. They will not just fix the eMMC, p/n that is ordered for the repair includes a new screen that I don't need. I declined to pay for the repair at this time to wait until MCU2 is available, then a few days later my car will no longer even charge. Well it charges extremely slow to a maximum of 46 miles. They say the battery and drive unit is fine so guess what, no warranty for anything else for all this.
2013 MS P85+ 105k miles, MCU went out, anyone who replaces those besides Tesla for 1600.00 in the Houston TX area?

From my enquiry to the NHTSA regarding my UK registered 2015 Model S60 with the failure (at under 30k miles)...
"Good Day,
Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Vehicle Safety Hotline Information Center.
Based on your email, NHTSA does not regulate vehicles outside the United States. We only regulate vehicles manufactured and registered for operation in the United States. Therefore, we can offer no guidance in regards to your vehicle failure.
We hope that you find this information helpful.
Thank you,

NHTSA.dot.gov Response Team"

However, for UK residents/registered vehicles there is the DVLA's 'Report a Vehicle Safety Defect online':-
Vehicle Safety Defect Report | DVSA
Knowing them as I do, I won't be holding my breath for any significant effect of reporting.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-Fixme and goRt
I haven’t gone through all 34 pages of this thread (although I plan to at some point) however it appears that my 2015 model a just had the same failure. I am out of warranty as well and just spent over $2500 getting the on board charger replaced less than a month ago now. The fun fact in all this is I have 18k on the car. I’ve also started getting bubbles on the screen behind the steering wheel which is apparently yet another design issue.

Have to contact service center tomorrow but I suspect I’ll be given the usual bs. Would love to get in on any additional options that people are considering about this.

I haven’t gone through all 34 pages of this thread (although I plan to at some point) however it appears that my 2015 model a just had the same failure. I am out of warranty as well and just spent over $2500 getting the on board charger replaced less than a month ago now. The fun fact in all this is I have 18k on the car. I’ve also started getting bubbles on the screen behind the steering wheel which is apparently yet another design issue.

Have to contact service center tomorrow but I suspect I’ll be given the usual bs. Would love to get in on any additional options that people are considering about this.
There is another post on how to replace the IC and there is a forum member that sells replacement screens. If you have to remove the the MCU, the IC is very easy to replace at the same time. Good luck with the repairs, it’s really not that bad, @TonyT will replace the eMMC for a good price and does great work.

Reactions: Akikiki
There is another post on how to replace the IC and there is a forum member that sells replacement screens. If you have to remove the the MCU, the IC is very easy to replace at the same time. Good luck with the repairs, it’s really not that bad, @TonyT will replace the eMMC for a good price and does great work.

Thank you for the suggestions. Instead of prodding for more info, I’ll search my way through this forum and see what I can find with regards to this. Only downside is that, while I’m in the IT field and generally very good at troubleshooting problems, I’m afraid it ends there and I may just be one of the least handy people when it comes to diy stuff on cars so I would have to see what those recommendations entail from that perspective but either way, I do appreciate it and I’ll get to searching.

Thank you for the suggestions. Instead of prodding for more info, I’ll search my way through this forum and see what I can find with regards to this. Only downside is that, while I’m in the IT field and generally very good at troubleshooting problems, I’m afraid it ends there and I may just be one of the least handy people when it comes to diy stuff on cars so I would have to see what those recommendations entail from that perspective but either way, I do appreciate it and I’ll get to searching.

Front page has the key info.

It’s not a car. It’s a data center. With big ups, power supply. Custom color case with cool lights. And nice rims.

Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

Can I ask if you looked into buying and fitting (or getting someone else to fit) a used charger rather than rely on Tesla to supply a new one (?) and fit it?

I actually didn’t. The car wouldn’t turn on and Tesla support told me it was a 12v battery issue. Knowing that was a small enough thing, I had it towed in. A day later, they called and said the 12v was fine but It was actually the charge port that was bad and needed replacing at $900. Agreed to it reluctantly. Yet another day later, after a new charge port was installed, their service called and said it was the onboard Master charger.

Car was hostage at this point and I did speak with managers etc and it eventually went down to $2500 from the original quote of $3300 however to look into other methods at that point was going to be more cumbersome especially with covid being at its height so I sucked it up and said yes. A month ago that happened and last night, it appears my mcu took a dive. Fun.

Car was hostage.... Fun.

Not! Just the sort of utter ineptitude one associates with traditional Big Auto - which is as unfortunate as it is a pity. I would like to have thought that Tesla service would apply a similarly more thoughtful approach to their work as Tesla engineers paid to the design of their cars (eMMC chips aside!).

I have decided to get LuckyLuke to repair my Tegra PCB on the basis that it'll more or less sort the car out in the short term and I can save my money for (hopefully) a MCU2 upgrade in due course.

• Love
Reactions: appleguru and TonyT
Not! Just the sort of utter ineptitude one associates with traditional Big Auto - which is as unfortunate as it is a pity. I would like to have thought that Tesla service would apply a similarly more thoughtful approach to their work as Tesla engineers paid to the design of their cars (eMMC chips aside!).

I have decided to get LuckyLuke to repair my Tegra PCB on the basis that it'll more or less sort the car out in the short term and I can save my money for (hopefully) a MCU2 upgrade in due course.

Couldnt agree more. I actually did also get in touch with a couple members here and have decided to get this all handled by Tony at evfixme as well as a new IC cluster. Luckily there is a member in Florida that’s done this many times who is going to come and help me out with removal/installation. Thank you all for the recommendations !