Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what features specifically? I am one of the ones that purchased EAP and has an mcu1, and while I remember them promising lots of things that haven’t materialized I can’t think of anything specific like you mention...
Do you mean which features of current FSD used to be part of the original EAP? Or which features of the original FSD have not been delivered?

Just to make sure I understand, the 12v trickle charger needs to be connected in all cases right? Even if you are reconnecting the MCU while waiting on the EMMC replacement?

The trickle only needs to be connected if batteries are not disconnected and mcu is removed from the car. Once MCU is returned and connected the hv will take care of the 12v till it runs out. Likely weeks later.

We will update the main post soon.

Just to make sure I understand, the 12v trickle charger needs to be connected in all cases right? Even if you are reconnecting the MCU while waiting on the EMMC replacement?

Either connect a charger to the terminals at the front of the car or disconnect the battery (or connect the charger directly to the battery) BEFORE you remove the MCU. Here is why:

I took out my MCU at 7 in the morning and I put the MCU back in at 11 am and the car was already dead. If you are really good at doing this and are fast at removing the Tegra board and put the MCU back in immediately; in under 1 hour, maybe 2? you will probably be fine...but is this something you want to rush?

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV and Akikiki
Looks like I too may be joining this club. I could use some help assessing my situation and understanding options.

I have 89k miles on a December 2017 build, purchased new. I had HW3 installed about a month ago. I stream music about 75% of the time, but don't do much else besides drive the car (a lot).

My symptoms include:
-Dark screen 3-4 times at startup last few weeks.
-I have been unsuccessful in installing several software updates in last 3 weeks.
-Sometimes when I reboot the MCU, my GPS shows a past location, not current. Updates once I start driving.
-My energy usage graph has been on the fritz (see below), showing zero past energy usage and logging only some of the miles I drive.

IMG_5341.jpg

I'm strongly considering the route many others are taking with @EV-Fixme , but I want to make an informed decision. My three options as I see it:

1) Since I am at less than 4 years of ownership, am I still under warranty? If so, it looks like the previous posts describe a replacement that will have the same issues I have now. So I am just kicking the can down the road several years. Benefit would be I don't have to do the work to replace the eMMC now. Downside is that it could go dark without much warning, outside updated warranty, loosing critical information, and requiring Tesla to do the work at somewhere north of $1,500. Uncertainties include how far down the road I kicked the can, if my screen is replaced is it better or worse than the one I currently have, and where is the car when my screen dies.

2) I could splurge for the MCU2. Benefits include those listed on Tesla's website for the infotainment upgrade, they look nice but these don't improve the drive-ability/autopilot/safety features. Potential benefit is future feature access. Downside is $2,500 that doesn't grow on a tree.

3) Do as others have done and take the front of my car apart so I can upgrade the eMMC like other have done. Or get the car to someone that can take the dash apart for me. Benefit: price seems reasonable with less uncertainty than Option 1. Downside: I'm probably going to have to do the dash removal/replacement myself as I live up near Tahoe/Reno.

I've just read through 36 pages of this thread. Am I correct in assessing a likely eMMC issue? Did I correctly summarize the three options?

Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Looks like I too may be joining this club. I could use some help assessing my situation and understanding options.

I have 89k miles on a December 2017 build, purchased new. I had HW3 installed about a month ago. I stream music about 75% of the time, but don't do much else besides drive the car (a lot).

My symptoms include:
-I have been unsuccessful in installing several software updates in last 3 weeks.
-Sometimes when I reboot the MCU, my GPS shows a past location, not current. Updates once I start driving.
-My energy usage graph has been on the fritz (see below), showing zero past energy usage and logging only some of the miles I drive.

View attachment 560847

I'm strongly considering the route many others are taking with @EV-Fixme , but I want to make an informed decision. My three options as I see it:

1) Since I am at less than 4 years of ownership, am I still under warranty? If so, it looks like the previous posts describe a replacement that will have the same issues I have now. So I am just kicking the can down the road several years. Benefit would be I don't have to do the work to replace the eMMC now. Downside is that it could go dark without much warning, outside updated warranty, loosing critical information, and requiring Tesla to do the work at somewhere north of $1,500. Uncertainties include how far down the road I kicked the can, if my screen is replaced is it better or worse than the one I currently have, and where is the car when my screen dies.

2) I could splurge for the MCU2. Benefits include those listed on Tesla's website for the infotainment upgrade, they look nice but these don't improve the drive-ability/autopilot/safety features. Potential benefit is future feature access. Downside is $2,500 that doesn't grow on a tree.

3) Do as others have done and take the front of my car apart so I can upgrade the eMMC like other have done. Or get the car to someone that can take the dash apart for me. Benefit: price seems reasonable with less uncertainty than Option 1. Downside: I'm probably going to have to do the dash removal/replacement myself as I live up near Tahoe/Reno.

I've just read through 36 pages of this thread. Am I correct in assessing a likely eMMC issue? Did I correctly summarize the three options?

Thanks in advance.

2017 should have 1 year left however your mileage may have expired your warranty. We are seeing lots of 2016 die and some 2017.

your issues sound like emmc failing

@David99 is doing a tour. But won’t be at your area for a long time. Waiting is not a good idea.

Let us know if you need additional help or questions answered.

Reactions: FlatSix911

My symptoms include:

View attachment 560847

Thanks in advance.

I would simply recommend getting the MCU1 replaced under warranty and 'kicking the can' down the road a few more years. By then, you might have a different car, or more likely, the MCU1->MCU2 upgrade will be much less expensive than the $2500 they're charging now, and also there will be more MCU2 specific features added during that time which you might want.

My symptoms include:

View attachment 560847

Thanks in advance.

If you have extended warranty, then just let tesla replace, if you don't have extended then your likely out of warranty due to mileage and we can help.

Just joined this club today...hahahah...Black screen of death just got me. 2014 MS85 AP1...was acting slow and having issues with WiFi and Bluetooth for over 6 months. Reported to Tesla Service and on multiple occasions they did factory reset...I think to try to prolong it so I run out of warranty. But luckily I still have warranty (800 miles to go and I would have been out of warranty)...Still love my MS, but this does suck.

• Love
Reactions: dark cloud
my emmc was changed a few months ago. The last update fails to install: installation begins but hangs. I have to reboot. What can cause that?

We seen the gateway SD card fail in a very small amount of MCU's its on the back side of the MCU main board. Have to take everything out of the enclosure. The syslog should show errors on the gateway, I cant remember the exact error.

For anyone interested, I spoke with a couple mgr’s, service managers, and regional directors at Tesla about this issue and escalated as necessary. Given that my car has very low mileage on it and the fact that I just spent a good chunk of money on a new onboard charger just about a month ago, Tesla service has agreed to replace my mcu for me for next to nothing. There may be a small enough charge for some “incidentals” but I’ve been assured it’s nothing past that. Drop it off Monday.

Downside, MCU1 still, plus side, new MCU. Just sharing for others in case they happen to be in a similar situation. My car is a 2016 model s without warranty and 18k miles.

Reactions: Dave EV and MP3Mike
For anyone interested, I spoke with a couple mgr’s, service managers, and regional directors at Tesla about this issue and escalated as necessary. Given that my car has very low mileage on it and the fact that I just spent a good chunk of money on a new onboard charger just about a month ago, Tesla service has agreed to replace my mcu for me for next to nothing. There may be a small enough charge for some “incidentals” but I’ve been assured it’s nothing past that. Drop it off Monday.

Downside, MCU1 still, plus side, new MCU. Just sharing for others in case they happen to be in a similar situation. My car is a 2016 model s without warranty and 18k miles.

18000 miles? Apparently the write cycles happen even when the car is not used then...

We seen the gateway SD card fail in a very small amount of MCU's its on the back side of the MCU main board. Have to take everything out of the enclosure. The syslog should show errors on the gateway, I cant remember the exact error.

I've also seen a bad gateway SD card cause the MCU to fail to boot at all / have a black screen similar to emmc failure. The irony is that removing the gateway SD card all together allowed the system to boot in that case... Reformatting/replacing the SD card fixed the MCU in my case. (this is seemingly much more of a rare issue than emmc failure though).

Reactions: Hummer75
Do you mean which features of current FSD used to be part of the original EAP? Or which features of the original FSD have not been delivered?

We should really move this discussion to another thread, but you said:
The more customers upgrade, the less Tesla has to worry about supporting original EAP on MCU1, and the less unhappy customers left with original EAP and MCU1 that could start stirring up trouble complaining they don't get all the EAP features, even though they pre-paid for EAP so long ago.

I'm an MCU1 MS owner that purchased EAP. What features am I missing without MCU2?