Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Third party services are doing the same thing for about the same price, so Tesla doing it like this is a good way to stave off the potential recall. Cheap, fast, and simple swap. The only thing third part has over Tesla now is bigger EMMC (I wonder if the new ones have the bigger EMMC? That would last forever) and the ability to install older firmware for more range and faster charging as part of the swap.

I am in the midst of a thrash and wait with Tesla Service. I put in a Service Request end June for a failing MCU. I have been given multiple service dates at my local Dublin SC, and each has come & gone as I have been waiting for a new touchscreen & MCU (not only is the MCU failing but the touchscreen is developing bubbles). I originally had this part on order (which has been listed as 'Pending' for a while now):

MCU, MDLSX, NA, PREMIUM, REMAN #1098010-99-H

plus ANTENNA, BLUETOOTH #1052393-00-B

So at the last rescheduling of the appointment a couple of days ago (now end August), the parts order was updated to:

3G NA MS Tegra MCU W-D Motherboard #1004740-10-A

which to my eye looks like a 'downgrade' to just the Tegra board.

FWIW the estimate work order for the repair with just the Tegra board shows a price of $950 for the Tegra plus a couple of jumper cables (BT, rear view camera).

So I updated my Service Request on my app and listed all of the issues with changing parts and the need for a new touchscreen and Tegra (i.e. a full MCU).

News later....

JPP, we see those BT and Rear camera cables routinely in the estimates or invoices. Don't give that another thought.

I think that was a wise move to update your Service Request reminding them of the screen issue.

Yes, thanks. I was not concerned about the cables/jumpers needed. For me this is/has been a complete flail (with the usual lack of communication). What is interesting is the $$ quote for the Tegra board (...at least I assume that the part shown on my estimate is in fact only the board), which does not match some estimates of folks up thread.

What you are saying - just the Tegra board - makes sense. You are one of the first, so there's not enough known yet. You may be able to tell us more soon.

In other threads there's rumor of a final cost of $500 for the Tegra board swap - including labor. And again, no hard facts. So we are unsure.

For what it's worth, this is the exact text that came from Tesla Service (for me).
Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 4.04.13 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and David29
Don't suppose you can text back if that is a refurbished board? And what eMMC chip is on the board (size/brand)? Does it come with a warranty, how long?
Based on my last exchange about the MCU (pasted above) those answers are pointless to ask. The person at that time didn't know the warranty on the MCU, which is published at Tesla.com.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Cheap relative to a custom board. Nano is probably made in higher quantities. Cheap relative what it cost for us to fix them.
But not surprised they can offer it.
I don't know what quantities Nano is made in, but my guess would be that it doesn't need to be an outrageous quantity to get a decent price. A board this size and component, few hundred quantity might get you get close to similar price. Much larger quantities you can get much cheaper (think Amazon Fire, similar complexity but including an 8" touch screen, sells for $59).

I can see that the price of just physically replacing the emmc BGA chip would probably be same or higher than the $120 board cost. Then there is time spent doing recovery, which can be a while if the original chip is in bad shape. And then there is time spent on unsuccessful recoveries which needs to be amortize over the successful ones. Tesla does not have to deal with any of that - they can just regenerate certificates, and don't have to worry about corrupt firmware as a brand new, intact firmware is already flashed on the board (or they can flash it at the SC).

The primary benefit of 3rd party replacement left today is a faster and more robust emmc chip which will likely outlast the car (unless you park your car in the desert without power for many weeks, long enough for battery to hibernate but not long enough to brick the battery). The new $500 Tesla replacement service can also be a good backup option for anyone who wants a 3rd party replacement too, especially if 3rd party does not charge money if the recovery fails. At that point it comes down to - if you're willing to take your dash apart and go through the mail-in process, you can end up with a more robust chip. If the recovery fails, you can take the money you were going to spend on the 3rd party and pay Tesla to put in a new board with the old chip. That said, if Tesla can replace the Tegra boards via a ranger appointment, the convenience factor of having it done in your garage in a couple of hours can be very enticing, even if you know you'll have to do it again in 3-5 years (if you still have the car).

3rd party replacement services saved a lot of people a lot of money and often hassle, while Tesla was getting their act together. Now that they have offered a $500 fix, the 3rd party replacement addressable market size has shrunk significantly. If Tesla issues a recall and offers free daughter-board replacements, it will all but disappear (only customers left will be ones who want their cars rooted and those outside of Tesla Service range).

Last edited:
For what it's worth, this is the exact text that came from Tesla Service (for me).
View attachment 575132

Generally the front line staff don't have a lot of experience dealing with many specific issues, It's not surprising to the desire for additional diagnosis.

@whitex has pointed out many great points, here are a couple in additional to consider:

• 3rd party can often complete the repair before a customer can get into the SC for appointment
  • You often actually get to talk to someone about your issue (Many find that a huge benefit)
We are very aware of the current situation and working on getting specific details so we can adjust accordingly. Thanks to all our customers for trusting our service.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GSP
Any of you gotten a look at the eMMC statistics when yours died?

If memory serves, it was rated for 2000 writes. My eMMC is currently 1903 erases, 81 reserved. which suggests to me that it has 2000-1903-81= 16 writes left before it hits rated limit, no?

We provide the detail when available. Wear limit is 1 of the failures that can happen. The other common issue is controller failure which only shows in logs and corruption at this point.

Another follow up. The last couple of days in the morning my dashboard screen has been black when I start my car . After a a minute the car will run but the dash stays black. After a reboot the dash screen does turn on. Does this sound like it’s related to the eMMC issue?

Just wanted to follow up on my earlier post. So after the most recent firmware update, all of my issues have cleared up. In the week since the update, I haven't needed to reboot and my Tesla app has connected every time. Everything is working as it should as far as I can tell. The only change I've noticed with firmware update is that it shows that my vehicle is using more energy for the same commute I drive every day. Before it used about 290 Wh/mi, now it's up to about 320.

Well, It's my turn now. 3 years plus without a Tesla car problem.
2017 facelift May 2017. RWD coil springs. 60kwh, upped to 75KW.

Since spring, a couple sporadic black screen, on startup, reboot fixed. Weeks apart, and was around time of software updates and I wasn't concerned.

Last week wife rang bell to get in as the garage door wouldn't open. Sometimes in the past it wouldn't open or close when driving up, but the button worked if we were close enough. No concern, figured a very old opener, and just seemed a weak signal. She said there were patterns of color on the screen in the homelink area. And the turn signals not working. Pretty sure she said other sounds not working, maybe seat belt and other chimes.

I checked it out and found corrupted graphics all around the homelink and user profile areas. Could not 'find' the buttons but could by trial and error press them.

I rebooted both screens and all seemed well. Except the HVAC stuff was weird. Blue and in different places.
It was operable, and I didn't closely check it out, thinking a new update or something. Concern mounting.

Yesterday, 202008013 hottest 90+ and most humid day on record, she and a friend left an outdoor restaurant setting, and said she couldn't get the a/c going. Checking the screen, the lower HVAC and other graphics were a mess again, including a few lines at top. I managed to see the white 'auto' button in the camouflage and touched it. A/C came right on. Reboot, all is fine now.

Time for our first 'breakdown' call. I don't know how long it will take to type all this into the phone. No way to do it online. Stupid.

I've been following the emmc thread for months since my car is in the susceptible period, but only 35K miles on it. Working with that stuff in industry, I was dismayed at this design fail. Again, under warranty, no probs till now.

Oh, I have the yellow border.
I discussed upgrading to the mcu2, but she is not fond of the idea.
When she and her phone gets back, will type all this in for a service ticket.

Last edited:
Another follow up. The last couple of days in the morning my dashboard screen has been black when I start my car . After a a minute the car will run but the dash stays black. After a reboot the dash screen does turn on. Does this sound like it’s related to the eMMC issue?

Yes your eMMC is failing and time is limited till it stays black screen. If your not under warranty it is best to stop rebooting and get service ASAP. Let us know if you need help with our guides and services.

Sounds like a pending failure and you have warranty. Get the service ticket opened as it often takes a while to actually get service.

Well, It's my turn now. 3 years plus without a Tesla car problem.
2017 facelift May 2017. RWD coil springs. 60kwh, upped to 75KW.

Since spring, a couple sporadic black screen, on startup, reboot fixed. Weeks apart, and was around time of software updates and I wasn't concerned.

Last week wife rang bell to get in as the garage door wouldn't open. Sometimes in the past it wouldn't open or close when driving up, but the button worked if we were close enough. No concern, figured a very old opener, and just seemed a weak signal. She said there were patterns of color on the screen in the homelink area. And the turn signals not working. Pretty sure she said other sounds not working, maybe seat belt and other chimes.

I checked it out and found corrupted graphics all around the homelink and user profile areas. Could not 'find' the buttons but could by trial and error press them.

I rebooted both screens and all seemed well. Except the HVAC stuff was weird. Blue and in different places.
It was operable, and I didn't closely check it out, thinking a new update or something. Concern mounting.

Yesterday, 202008013 hottest 90+ and most humid day on record, she and a friend left an outdoor restaurant setting, and said she couldn't get the a/c going. Checking the screen, the lower HVAC and other graphics were a mess again, including a few lines at top. I managed to see the white 'auto' button in the camouflage and touched it. A/C came right on. Reboot, all is fine now.

Time for our first 'breakdown' call. I don't know how long it will take to type all this into the phone. No way to do it online. Stupid.

I've been following the emmc thread for months since my car is in the susceptible period, but only 35K miles on it. Working with that stuff in industry, I was dismayed at this design fail. Again, under warranty, no probs till now.

Oh, I have the yellow border.
I discussed upgrading to the mcu2, but she is not fond of the idea.
When she and her phone gets back, will type all this in for a service ticket.