Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies if this is a regular question in the thread. I have been “patiently” waiting for my repair/replacement of the defective MCU. My MCU died beginning of July and I have been receiving update from my local SC that my appointment has been scheduled to two weeks later. This afternoon I got another apologetic email from Tesla indicating delayed of shipment of these parts, and my appointment is pushed out to 9/7/2020. It will be over 2 months for this repair. Has any other owners have been waiting for this part longer than I have?
So far it has been very disappointing with Tesla Service level. Ever since 2015 when I owned model S all of my service experience was below standard. If you wonder what my standard is? I can tell you it is pretty low and forgiving. After years of owning Tesla I missed my Lexus service experience and I paid way more for Tesla. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
My apologies if this is a regular question in the thread. I have been “patiently” waiting for my repair/replacement of the defective MCU. My MCU died beginning of July and I have been receiving update from my local SC that my appointment has been scheduled to two weeks later. This afternoon I got another apologetic email from Tesla indicating delayed of shipment of these parts, and my appointment is pushed out to 9/7/2020. It will be over 2 months for this repair. Has any other owners have been waiting for this part longer than I have?
So far it has been very disappointing with Tesla Service level. Ever since 2015 when I owned model S all of my service experience was below standard. If you wonder what my standard is? I can tell you it is pretty low and forgiving. After years of owning Tesla I missed my Lexus service experience and I paid way more for Tesla. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening.
scchen, in what way did it die? Does this mean you can't run a/c or charge correctly?

I have had a service visit in my driveway for routine checkup. In New England, they recommend brake caliper service against corrosion every 2 years. I think the guy was even more meticulous than I in cleaning, lubing, sanding shoes, than I could ever be. He put cardboard to catch the rust and debris on the driveway.

Said I wasn't pestering him.We Talked of my rebuilding my Corvair Spyder turbo when I was in high school. Talk about owning weird cars.

In my 7th decade, I still do work on my Honda element. Brake corrosion my only woe with it.What commercial mechanic would do that? They just toss in pads, etc. If it wasn't such a reliable car, would be another Tesla.

So NICE to have at least one car NOT to work on!

In original owners cloudy manual when i bought it, they said scheduled checkup involved changing the brake fluid at two years. I thought wonderful! preventing brake cylinder corrosion. i always did that in my cars.
Well at my checkup, he said, and is no longer in the manual to do is 'inspect' the fluid.
I was a bit dismayed, but he had a chemistry kit to sample the fluid. Was checking for moisture, and copper?. Later I find out even the brake calipers are aluminum. I'll still change the fluid once out of warranty.

Many of my customers have had to wait months for repair. We generally get cars fixed before a owner can get to their first appointment. We have a car with warranty that has been waiting over a month and keeps getting pushed back 2 weeks at a time. The only reason we are waiting instead of just fixing it ourselves is we are curious to see if Tesla has in-fact changed the memory chip on new units. We are seeing so many different reports and want to document at least one current mcu1 from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

I am waiting for a complete replacement MCU1, since the touchscreen is leaking/has the bubbles, and the Tegra is failing. The part has been on order for 6 weeks and might not be available for my next scheduled service appointment in 10 days. So, no, your wait is not unusual.

• Helpful
Reactions: Akikiki and ohmman
add me to list of dead emmc (full black screen) repaired by Tony (EV-Fixme) 2013 Model S 83K Miles (quick turnaround and great service! Thank you Tony!) car wouldnt charge past 30-40 miles and would only charge at 2 amps (regardless of Level 1 or Level 2 charger at home, Tony stated that i should be able to charge at supercharger fully) had another car to drive so not driving it didnt bother me

I’m located in Dallas. I don’t think you can help me.

Someone local, maybe yourself if you are handy, can remove the Tegra board and mail it to @EV-Fixme (Tony?) for repair.

My car is in warranty, and waiting for replacement Tegra board from Tesla. Tesla service has no idea how long I will have to wait. Fortunately my MCU is working again, but I want to replace ASAP to have a reliable car again for trips. I wish I had not spent $4000 on Tesla’s extended warranty, so I could get this taken care of right now,

Good Luck,

GSP

Reactions: FlatSix911
After calling Tesla Service (who had never heard of the MCU issue - shocker), I rebooted (both scroll wheels and buttons above wheels) with and without brake press. Also went as far as disconnecting the 12v battery (it's the original) for a few minutes, as well as removing and replacing the MCU fuse. Nothing seems to wake up the MCU. (and by extension the turn signals and amenities don't work).

This will sadly end my ownership experience with Tesla if they can repair/replace the MCU and I can find a buyer.

Hey guys, need a little help here-- thank you in advance for your replies.

Left for the weekend, and when I came back the MCU was black/dead, the instrument cluster was very dim (but usable) and the car is driveable.

Can I assume I need to pull the MCU, send in the eMMC and have it swapped? Or should I run more diagnostics to nail down the issue.

2015 70D
58k miles
Bubbling on both the instrument cluster and MCU screen (have both replacements just haven't gotten around to it)

Hey guys, need a little help here-- thank you in advance for your replies.

Left for the weekend, and when I came back the MCU was black/dead, the instrument cluster was very dim (but usable) and the car is driveable.

Can I assume I need to pull the MCU, send in the eMMC and have it swapped? Or should I run more diagnostics to nail down the issue.

2015 70D
58k miles
Bubbling on both the instrument cluster and MCU screen (have both replacements just haven't gotten around to it)

Yeah, pull the MCU and mail off your tegra to one of us that does repairs. Swap the screen with your replacement when you go to put it back in. Easy to get the IC out while you have all the trim off too.

Yeah, pull the MCU and mail off your tegra to one of us that does repairs. Swap the screen with your replacement when you go to put it back in. Easy to get the IC out while you have all the trim off too.

I appreciate it. Should I be worried it's something else entirely or are the odds heavily in my favor it's the eMMC?

I also have a warning message on my IC, something along the lines of "center screen not available" as well as "autopilot/convenience features not available"

I appreciate it. Should I be worried it's something else entirely or are the odds heavily in my favor it's the eMMC?

I also have a warning message on my IC, something along the lines of "center screen not available" as well as "autopilot/convenience features not available"
Outside of physical trauma on mcu every case we have seen has been emmc chip failure or pending failure.

Reactions: Akikiki
After calling Tesla Service (who had never heard of the MCU issue - shocker), I rebooted (both scroll wheels and buttons above wheels) with and without brake press. Also went as far as disconnecting the 12v battery (it's the original) for a few minutes, as well as removing and replacing the MCU fuse. Nothing seems to wake up the MCU. (and by extension the turn signals and amenities don't work).

This will sadly end my ownership experience with Tesla if they can repair/replace the MCU and I can find a buyer.

its relatively easily repaired. And can generally be repaired outside of Tesla quickly. Where are you located?