Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everybody,

I read through the entire thread (at least I think I did) and cannot find an answer to my problem:

I did a few repairs on MCUs already and today had a car in from a friend for a PREVENTIVE replacement of the eMMC. The car had 2020.24.6.11 running (and running fine), so I created a new image and copied the stock 2020.24.6.11 to p1 and p2, moved p3 over and left p4 empty. Put the MCU back into the car and after a few reboots everything works except for the following:

- Cannot connect to LTE
-> I know LTE needs some time to come back, usually it comes back after a few minutes connected to a hotspot
- Can connect to WiFi
- Cannot connect App to Car (on WiFi)
- Cannot connect to Spotify (on WiFi)

I double-checked the chip and all certificates are there and read absolutely fine.

Usually, these problems vanished after a few reboots. However, in this case they don't. I also cannot perform a factory reset, as there seems to be no connection to Tesla servers (for authentication).

Does anybody have a hint?

Hey everybody,

I read through the entire thread (at least I think I did) and cannot find an answer to my problem:

I did a few repairs on MCUs already and today had a car in from a friend for a PREVENTIVE replacement of the eMMC. The car had 2020.24.6.11 running (and running fine), so I created a new image and copied the stock 2020.24.6.11 to p1 and p2, moved p3 over and left p4 empty. Put the MCU back into the car and after a few reboots everything works except for the following:

- Cannot connect to LTE
-> I know LTE needs some time to come back, usually it comes back after a few minutes connected to a hotspot
- Can connect to WiFi
- Cannot connect App to Car (on WiFi)
- Cannot connect to Spotify (on WiFi)

I double-checked the chip and all certificates are there and read absolutely fine.

Usually, these problems vanished after a few reboots. However, in this case they don't. I also cannot perform a factory reset, as there seems to be no connection to Tesla servers (for authentication).

Does anybody have a hint?

Double check permissions on the mcu_commands_key and certificate files in /var. p4 is /home, which contains the cars' db files, including some settings like odo and apn, so you generally want to make sure you copy those over. I suspect if you set the APN manually (in dev mode, etc) then LTE would come back. I would connect to diag ethernet and log into the car via ssh to check the syslog though, see what it is complaining about...

For those who have been getting the replacement daughterboard fixed by Tesla, how long is it taking? "Outpatient", overnight, or longer?

I just had a new Tegra daughterboard installed at the Vancouver,BC SC. Dropped it off in the afternoon, It was ready the next day and came in at under $500 (Canadian) incl.. installation and tax. No diagnostic charge, probably since I already knew what was wrong and specified the part required. My 2014 S 85 is off warranty. Screen had been completely dead for a week, no reboot possible. It was already replaced once in 2019 (under warranty).

A lot better deal (for me at least) than the $3500 MCU2 upgrade since I wasn't willing to lose my radio: I was driving near some tornadoes last year in the US midwest, and with no 3G/LTE the only info I could get was through the radio. Was also in an earthquake years ago where cell and data networks were down for hours afterward. Cellular data networks are actually a fairly fragile infrastructure when you examine their topology.

I just read the full wiki. Thank you for putting that together.
Quick suggestion: Could we add an estimate of the time taken? Maybe a "first time" estimate and a "repeat job" estimate?

I think that'd be helpful for folks like me to decide when to plan to make it happen

Quick suggestion: Could we add an estimate of the time taken? Maybe a "first time" estimate and a "repeat job" estimate?

I think that'd be helpful for folks like me to decide when to plan to make it happen
Likely depends on who is doing the work... I generally turn tegras around within 48-72hours of receiving them, but do also offer an expedited (within 24hrs of receipt option, often same day).

So, using expedited service + next day shipping: take your tegra out and ship it on a Monday, I get it Tuesday, ship it back to you Wednesday and you receive/re-install on Thursday.

If you’re local and don’t need to ship I can usually provide same day service.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
@gaswhat, How long it should take Tesla? How long it should be costed in number of hours? There's a book that assigns how much time it takes to perform specific tasks. If it takes them two days to get the new board in and the firmware installed, and the book only allows 2 hours, that's all they will charge.

You realize, I guess, that swapping out a bad MCU for a re-manufactured MCU takes less time than swapping out the Tegra board?

Were you asking how long it would take a non-Tesla technician to remove it? When I say non-Tesla that could mean your buddy down the street, your neighborhood @appleguru genius-like smart person? A person that does it daily or once a month?

Double check permissions on the mcu_commands_key and certificate files in /var. p4 is /home, which contains the cars' db files, including some settings like odo and apn, so you generally want to make sure you copy those over. I suspect if you set the APN manually (in dev mode, etc) then LTE would come back. I would connect to diag ethernet and log into the car via ssh to check the syslog though, see what it is complaining about...

thanks for your reply.

The problem is I don’t have p4 because the Reading process broke somewhere near the end and so p4 is not completely backed up. I tried multiple times but I can only read p1-3 and a major part of p4, not the full image though.

I will create the apn file in p4 manually at the next occasion and see if that helps. But still the app should be able to see the car when connected via WiFi. But it doesn’t ‍♂️

Thanks. I should have specified how long to take everything apart and get the Tegra board out of the car

For me the first time to take apart the dash, remove mcu, then Tegra from the MCU, than install mcu back in the car about 1.5 hours. I could do it now in probably 30-40 min.

Removing the frunk to get at and remove the fuse add another 10 min.

This doesn't include watching a few how-to videos first.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Quick question-- do I need a battery tender on the 12V even if I leave it disconnected from the car?

And if so, can I use this? May be too weak?

Attachments

• IMG-1471.JPG
    IMG-1471.JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 70
thanks for your reply.

The problem is I don’t have p4 because the Reading process broke somewhere near the end and so p4 is not completely backed up. I tried multiple times but I can only read p1-3 and a major part of p4, not the full image though.

I will create the apn file in p4 manually at the next occasion and see if that helps. But still the app should be able to see the car when connected via WiFi. But it doesn’t ‍♂️

Can you SSH in and check the logs?

Most our CA repairs take about 6-7 days, with shipping. Standard service is 5 days or less. Expedited is 2 or less. Some locals will come and get the expedited in about a 3-4 hours.

For those who have been getting the replacement daughterboard fixed by Tesla, how long is it taking? "Outpatient", overnight, or longer?

My service center told me they have no idea how long before they get their first Tegra daughterboards. They gave me the impression it would be several weeks or a few months.

I see upthread that @quantum mech in Vancouver had his Tegra daughterboard replaced by Tesla. That is the first report that I have seen.

GSP

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ohmman
My service center told me they have no idea how long before they get their first Tegra daughterboards. They gave me the impression it would be several weeks or a few months.

I see upthread that @quantum mech in Vancouver had his Tegra daughterboard replaced by Tesla. That is the first report that I have seen.

GSP
My Service Center doesn't appear to have ordered one for my repair (appointment tomorrow AM), but said they'd replace just that if necessary. So either they have some in stock, or they'll perform some kind of diagnostic on the car and tell me to bring it back. If the latter, I'll be pretty annoyed.