Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an appointment at the SC for Monday to have the daughter board replaced but when I asked them about my car being a 2013 build they responded they would instead replace the MCU. They don’t have one in stock and will advise when it comes in and set up a new appointment.

I had an appointment at the SC for Monday to have the daughter board replaced but when I asked them about my car being a 2013 build they responded they would instead replace the MCU. They don’t have one in stock and will advise when it comes in and set up a new appointment.

Perhaps you might want to check that again my car is a 2012 signature and they replaced the provisioned at 64 GB daughter board on my car so I should think yours would be able to handle it and my MCU was the same one that came with the car.

Perhaps you might want to check that again my car is a 2012 signature and they replaced the provisioned at 64 GB daughter board on my car so I should think yours would be able to handle it and my MCU was the same one that came with the car.

I'm guessing you had a mcu replacement before, Some cars are on there 3rd emmc chip/mcu by now. Do you happen to have a copy of your invoice showing the part number they used? We also have a signature car that was updated a couple years ago and can use the new board.

Someone local, maybe yourself if you are handy, can remove the Tegra board and mail it to @EV-Fixme (Tony?) for repair.

My car is in warranty, and waiting for replacement Tegra board from Tesla. Tesla service has no idea how long I will have to wait. Fortunately my MCU is working again, but I want to replace ASAP to have a reliable car again for trips.

I wish I had not spent $4000 on Tesla’s extended warranty, so I could get this taken care of right now,

Good Luck,

GSP

Not sure if you're aware that you can get a prorated refund for any portion of your unused ESA warranty... based on miles/time remaining.

I thinking about trading my remaining ESA for a new MCU2. :cool:

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: whitex and GSP
I'm guessing you had a mcu replacement before, Some cars are on there 3rd emmc chip/mcu by now. Do you happen to have a copy of your invoice showing the part number they used? We also have a signature car that was updated a couple years ago and can use the new board.
Screenshot_20200912-141743.png

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

Interesting, looks like now they have 2 daughterboards, so Im guessing they have also made/refurb some older style daughterboards now.

MSX PCBA, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-A - PROVISIONED (64 GB)
2728212-S0-A Tesla Only $0.00 1

MSX PCBA, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB)
2728212-S0-B Tesla Only $0.00 1

Interesting, looks like now they have 2 daughterboards, so Im guessing they have also made/refurb some older style daughterboards now.

MSX PCBA, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-A - PROVISIONED (64 GB)
2728212-S0-A Tesla Only $0.00 1

MSX PCBA, MCU, TEGRA DAUGHTER BOARD REV-B/C - PROVISIONED (64 GB)
2728212-S0-B Tesla Only $0.00 1

Three perhaps? My daughter board replacement number was 2728211-SO-A

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and GSP
There actually two versions of MCU1. Early on, some people called it MCU0. You can read about it here in the first section down to where MCU2 starts. Brief one paragraph on MCU1 version.

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

However Tesla never called any MCU0, AFAIK everything has been call MCU1 or MCU2, so I don't think MCU0 can really exist. That's why we call it 1 and 1.5 and 1.5 is a revision of 1, 0 and 1 would be a major revision...

Just as a side note the daughter board replacement will also cause you to lose all of your trip information including any lifetime watt hour/mile averages and so forth you have and the total kwh that have been used by the car will get reset to zero.

Reactions: appleguru
However Tesla never called any MCU0, AFAIK everything has been call MCU1 or MCU2, so I don't think MCU0 can really exist. That's why we call it 1 and 1.5 and 1.5 is a revision of 1, 0 and 1 would be a major revision...
That makes sense. Useful to have a reference name for making it a bit more clear which is which. I'd heard of 1.0 and 1.5 too, but I didn't understand one being in any given year. Thanks Tony.

There actually two versions of MCU1. Early on, some people called it MCU0. You can read about it here in the first section down to where MCU2 starts. Brief one paragraph on MCU1 version.

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap
This text:
There are actually two MCU1 variants, with different connectors. The internals is basically the same in both variants. The red arrow shows the connector change. The older 1004777 is no longer made. For older cars, the newer 1045006 part can be used with an adapter. Some of the earliest 1004777 MCUs only have 3G and do not have LTE. Tesla offers a paid upgrade for those that want LTE, which changes a module within MCU1. All of the 1045006 variants include LTE.
Seems to say that all 3G MCU's (like my late 2014 build) are "MCU0"/1004777
Three perhaps? My daughter board replacement number was 2728211-SO-A
Same as my late 2014 build. I got an LTE upgrade and new daughterboard - 2728211-S0-A as well:
MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISION (2728211-S0-A)

This text:

Seems to say that all 3G MCU's (like my late 2014 build) are "MCU0"/1004777

Same as my late 2014 build. I got an LTE upgrade and new daughterboard - 2728211-S0-A as well:

Sounds like I must have an “MCU0” 1004777, I did an LTE upgrade earlier this year.

So the good news is that there’s a part number for a Tegra board with new eMMC chip. I think I’ll check and see if my local SC (San Rafael CA) can find it.

thanks, tga!