Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an MCU1.0 (sometimes called MCU0) on my 2014 S.

I bought a new MCU1.5 on eBay, and was hoping swapping my old one for the new parts.

I believe I need the following:
– Rear View Camera HSD Jumper (1127304-00-B)
– ANTENNA , BLUETOOTH (1052393-00-B)
– Replacement eMMC chip (Do you know the part number Tesla uses for their upgrade? I think it's a 64GB Micron)
– Use JTAG with 2.8V power supply to read the old eMMC and write it to the new one

TeslaTap makes it sound like there might be a need to modify the harness as well? It does not show how though.
Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

If MCU1.0->1.5 is too complex, I might just swap the LTE board and do the eMMC repair.
I thought it might be worth upgrading since I have the parts anyway (and potentially getting UHFS? )

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Random MCU reboots several month.
Dead MCU last week, warning on instument cluster, car will not start,
took me 30min to finally reboot car (upper buttons and brake) after two failed attempts.

Service yesterday "We could not find anything" while report states "Could not connect to car,
rebooting car resolved issue. Continue monitoring for this issue". They waived my fee.

Came home from service, HomeLink does not work even after deleting user. Car stuck in
"Software update available, connect to WiFi" loop failing to recognize the WiFi it already connected to.
Deleted connection, reconnected, did MCU and car reboots, nothing helps.

Back to Tesla next week.

View attachment 591234

Tesla engineer got into my car and reprogrammed some firmware over the LTE then sent me the latest
update via LTE while I was driving kid to school. Returned back home and I could now program the HomeLink,
browse via WiFi, and software updated flawlessly. Took car for a victory run shopping, love my MS.

Now fingers crossed until next mishap, nothing like another broken door handle for good lucko_O

I have an MCU1.0 (sometimes called MCU0) on my 2014 S.

I bought a new MCU1.5 on eBay, and was hoping swapping my old one for the new parts.

I believe I need the following:
– Rear View Camera HSD Jumper (1127304-00-B)
– ANTENNA , BLUETOOTH (1052393-00-B)
– Replacement eMMC chip (Do you know the part number Tesla uses for their upgrade? I think it's a 64GB Micron)
– Use JTAG with 2.8V power supply to read the old eMMC and write it to the new one

TeslaTap makes it sound like there might be a need to modify the harness as well? It does not show how though.
Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

If MCU1.0->1.5 is too complex, I might just swap the LTE board and do the eMMC repair.
I thought it might be worth upgrading since I have the parts anyway (and potentially getting UHFS? )
Tesla doesn't sell just the eMMC chip replacement. The closest thing would be an entire Tegra board.
What method using JTAG did you find out there that allows you to read from the Tegra board?
If you are in fact willing to swap out just the emmc chip (involves board rework), just keep your original MCU and only swap the emmc chip. There are people here who will do that swap for you for a fee too, including reading out the old chip before desoldering it.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Just a data point for you guys, my car is under warranty and I have a appointment on Oct 6th to take it in for them to "check out" (They haven't said what they are actually planning on doing yet maybe I can get a discounted MCU2 upgrade).

This is the 2nd appointment in 2 months for signs of eMMC failing. 1st time mobile tech came out and check things and said everything was fine but he setup my car to be monitored more closely or flagged of some sort and to report any others issues i see. Had a weird issue last week where my MCU displayed 59% battery charge but the IC displayed the correct 70%. Today I was driving down the road and Center screen froze, lost bluetooth and LTE and temp reading on the IC, map tiles not drawing and then the whole MCU just froze and then rebooted itself! Drove to my destination and then to a supercharger and the battery level once again didn't show what was expected on the MCU screen but was correct on the IC. Mine hasnt failed yet but really seems like its on it's last legs.

Thanks to everyone who posted and especially @EV-Fixme for putting together a comprehensive 1st post so I knew what to look for.

2016 90D
51,200 miles
20200919_111019.jpg

My apologies if this has been answered already in this thread. I didn't have time for all 59 pages.

I've learned from my Service Center that the previous owners were vigilant with maintenance and repairs, and told me that the full MCU assembly was replaced in December 2017, and the screen replaced in June 2018, on a August 2013 build car.

Is there a way to know if the eMMC was upgraded? If so, how?

Thanks

My apologies if this has been answered already in this thread. I didn't have time for all 59 pages.

I've learned from my Service Center that the previous owners were vigilant with maintenance and repairs, and told me that the full MCU assembly was replaced in December 2017, and the screen replaced in June 2018, on a August 2013 build car.

Is there a way to know if the eMMC was upgraded? If so, how?

Thanks

You have a "new emmc" chip if full mcu1 was replaced in 2017 which was the same chip that was used in the past with 2-8 year life expectancy. Sounds like 2018 may have been screen replacement for yellowing, and the 2018 may also yellow again.

Just a data point for you guys, my car is under warranty and I have a appointment on Oct 6th to take it in for them to "check out" (They haven't said what they are actually planning on doing yet maybe I can get a discounted MCU2 upgrade).

This is the 2nd appointment in 2 months for signs of eMMC failing. 1st time mobile tech came out and check things and said everything was fine but he setup my car to be monitored more closely or flagged of some sort and to report any others issues i see. Had a weird issue last week where my MCU displayed 59% battery charge but the IC displayed the correct 70%. Today I was driving down the road and Center screen froze, lost bluetooth and LTE and temp reading on the IC, map tiles not drawing and then the whole MCU just froze and then rebooted itself! Drove to my destination and then to a supercharger and the battery level once again didn't show what was expected on the MCU screen but was correct on the IC. Mine hasnt failed yet but really seems like its on it's last legs.

Thanks to everyone who posted and especially @EV-Fixme for putting together a comprehensive 1st post so I knew what to look for.

2016 90D
51,200 miles
View attachment 595144

This is really odd, sounds like your mcu and IC are out of sync on software versions. Is your car throwing any errors? You do have many of the classic signs. We are starting to discover some more of the "strange" issues that happen, and I'll be updating soon. Please let us you know your final outcome. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Hi Tony, EV-Fixme.
After I put the upgraded eMMC back into MCU everything worked. Thank a lot.
But now I see an issue with dashboard cover not going fully back into their original places.
it's loose especially right above MCU. Any gentle on top of the cover make it move a bit.
How do u guys fix this issue?

Hi Tony, EV-Fixme.
After I put the upgraded eMMC back into MCU everything worked. Thank a lot.
But now I see an issue with dashboard cover not going fully back into their original places.
it's loose especially right above MCU. Any gentle on top of the cover make it move a bit.
How do u guys fix this issue?
Make sure it is in the right position with the clips lined up properly, and then just like removing the trim under the steering wheel, forcefully rap it down with a manly closed fist. If it has been off several times or forced out of position you may need new clips.

Correct, make sure all the clips are aligned, some need to be gently helped into place with a tool pushing on the clip on the bottom side, I use the plastic pry tools. Also some many of the older dash dont have the extra clips above the mcu like the newer cars, a few just have not been as tight as before and would be fixed up upgrading to the new dashpad with more clips and the new mcu bezel to accept the cilps.

Just had my MCU daughter board replaced on my 2013 P85+ for $335.50 ($120.80 part + $214.50 labor) as I had MCU_w007 error due to NAV maps not loading on 19-Sep after v10.2 (2020.36.3.1.58d6902aeb93) was pushed OTA. My car has only 53,544 miles. I have no 3rd party software but do have a USB drive for MP4 music. SC informed me yesterday that after daughter board was replaced, the firmware was not passing successfully so they had to reach out out to Tesla Engineering support team for assistance. Then, received text this morning indicating car was ready for pick-up. Hopefully, the MCU is working properly with no loss of features. Hopefully, new eMMC on daughter board is write-intensive NAND and that it has been over-provisioned now that capacity is 64GB. Daughter board part number is MSX MCU TEGRA VCM REV-A-PROVISION (64GB) (2728212-S0-A). NOTE: I had my WAN radio updated from 3G to LTE in August 2017 which at the time cost $508.01.

My May 2014 P85 is getting the Tegra daughterboard replaced free of charge under warranty (CPO car)

How much does / should Tesla charge if I requested them to upgrade 3G to LTE while they are doing that job?

I was told it would be somewhere around £400 for the LTE upgrade - evidently the price is the same regardless of whether they do it with the eMMC switch or as a separate job. How much they should charge is another matter.

Thanks HenryT. I'll get back here when I hear from Tesla. For €400/$400/£400 suffice to say I will not get that done!

They shouldn't really charge more than a hundred quid extra for that job while doing the daughterboard replacement...