Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, after getting the new daughterboard and MCU, app connection to the car is almost instant, compared to 1 or 2 mins with the old MCU.

Yes, but those changes were also observable with others who did not receive new hardware in their car, so while a dying eMMC would slow down many functions, the speed changes would mostly be the result of software changes via updates from Tesla in the car and the updated app.

Has anyone experienced the Pinnacle (behind the steering wheel) Screen flashing all the lights and then returning to normal?

I have had this happen at least 2 dozen times since doing the infotainment upgrade (I ordered with FSD HW2.0). Service just keeps having the "engineers clearing the databases" that they think will solve the problem, but it does not.

Same email.. the fix is free now

upload_2020-11-9_14-6-15.png

Got the same mail, I wonder whether they'll reimburse DYI fix - I don't expect them to pay hourly for me to reverse engineer their car, but they should at least use the $490 MCU Tegra board replacement service as a reference. Of course, it is likely they won't reimburse it at all.

PS> This probably means NHTSA leaned on them, or some celebrity to whom Elon pays attention talked about it on the internet.

They’ve got extra parts. New ones will be the AMD rumor.
Did anyone get the link to work at the bottom of the email?
“To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.”
Mine doesn’t go there—just general page.
Probably just need to use the app and schedule. They’ll know based on VIN. You can also include a screenshot of the email in your photos to help them.

Did anyone get the link to work at the bottom of the email?
“To learn more about the program and its terms and conditions, please click the link below.”
Mine doesn’t go there—just general page.
My link also just goes to a "Trending Topics" page with no information about MCU warranty adjustment. Perhaps Tesla already discontinued the warranty adjustment, only minutes after sending out the emails - like they did with Elon's "everyone one who comes in for service gets a P100D loaner", which was discontinued as soon as he finished saying the sentence on an investor call.

No info on the webpage means a good chance nobody at the Service Centers knows about it too.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: OVB1
Got the same mail, I wonder whether they'll reimburse DYI fix

I would think the first problem would be providing proof that your eMMC failed and that you weren't just proactively replacing it.

I wonder if they will reimburse a small portion ($500) to those that did the MCU2 upgrade to eliminate this potential issue?

It doesn't sound like they are doing any proactive replacements. So I don't think so. However if your MCU1 failed and you chose to upgrade to MCU2 as the fix they might. But we will probably have to wait for the details.

Reactions: Guy V
I would think the first problem would be providing proof that your eMMC failed and that you weren't just proactively replacing it.
I have the old chip I can give them. It is corrupted to the point where I had to use someone else's firmware backup to restore enough files to make the replacement chip boot (lucky the car specific info such as the keys were recoverable).

Last edited:
Got the email as well (for my totaled '15 that is still on my account). My guess is attempting to head off a recall but good news nonetheless for those who had/need the service.
I've owned 3 MCU1 Model S's: one of them totaled, one sold, and one I still drive. I only got one email, so I assume it's just a generic notification if you ever owned ANY MCU1 car. After all, even the email itself says that the car "may be eligible to Tesla Warranty Adjustment Program", if it was about a specific car it should tell me whether or not it is eligible, not a "may be".