Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree and think the NHTSA investigation will eventually force Tesla to issue a recall notice for replacement on their dime.

Haha Elon or some higher up must be reading this thread cause shortly a week after we now get that email that they will be covering it freely for Vehicles that need it and are under warranty.

I scheduled a visit to the Tesla Service center in Charlotte NC. I am unsure what that is going to be like as this is my first year owning a 2015 Tesla Model S90D. I'm waiting a full 20 days(Nov 30th 8:15 am appointment) just to drive 2 hours to a service center and I see it mentions maybe needing to schedule a pickup date and alternative transportation? I would expect for a scheduled appointment for service work they could get me in and out within an hour or two for a daughter-board swap and maybe a few basic standard maintenance jobs if needed. Or is that not how a service center visit works? Do we wait 20 days just to then leave our car with them for a number of days over a simple repair/replace? I may rethink my appointment because I can't be hung there and not have a ride for a number of days. If they let me borrow a newer Tesla that has all premium features and I could return on the weekend when I have spare time then I would be kinda okay with that, but rather not have to drive back up again on another day. Really would want work to be done at my given appointment date like a normal auto shop.

I'm really not sure what a 5 year old Model S needs done vs what they are just trying to charge you that is BS and not needed, I changed the cabin air filter myself and checked brake fluid for being good with an instrument. Idk if the AC descant bag or w/e needs swapping (Tesla recommends every 2 years, anyone gone without changing it period and seen problems from it?) or the drive train front/rear units need gear oil swapped? Car only has 28k miles on it. Still low miles for being 5 years old...

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
They have retro-actively extended the warranty on the MCU1 eMMC to 8-years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. So I can't see them paying ~$600-700 for a third party repair, and then being on the hook to re-repair it if the third-party used a part that fails during the extended warranty period.
Until recently, people with dead MCU only had one option from Tesla, which was MCU1 replacement ranging in price over time and from SC to SC from $3,000 to $1,500. If Tesla wants the repair to match their warranty, they should match the price Tesla repair would have costed at the time. When my MCU died, the price for me would have been $2,300. If Tesla is willing to reimburse me that, I will warranty my own repair to 8 year/100K miles (if the MCU fails. I'll have $2,300 minus the cost of emmc repair towards fixing it :)).

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Just got the e-mail, I was one of the people who had Tony replace the eMMC (just few months ago) and was contacted by one of the NHTSA investigators... glad to hear they're finally taking action on this! (Though sounds like I'll have to wait until Feb 2021 before knowing for sure if I'll get reimbursed.)

I thought this part was funny:

No. This is not a recall. This condition has no impact on basic vehicle driving functionality and controllability​

Because my car was one of the ones with non-functioning turn signals, and I'd call that pretty basic driving functionality :rolleyes:

I thought this part was funny:

No. This is not a recall. This condition has no impact on basic vehicle driving functionality and controllability​

Also funny how Tesla twists the optics and calls it a "Warranty Adjustment Program"?

While back in July, the NHTSA had Honda "recall" 608,000 vehicles for faulty software causing random reboots and problems with the backup camera.

July 28, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V438000
Distorted or Inoperative Rearview Camera/FMVSS 111
A distorted or inoperative rearview camera display can reduce the driver's view of what is behind the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

Last edited:
  • Informative

The difference is that the Hondas were new enough that the backup camera is required safety equipment. So if it doesn't work they pretty much have to recall them. Tesla changed to MCU2 just before/as backup cameras became required, so the MCU1 vehicles don't fall under that condition.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki and aaron0k
...car is much slower to turn on. The binnicle display above the steering wheel stays dark for a while before finally powering on

My instrument cluster (IC) is also slow to turn on after MCU1 replacement. It used to be very fast. I think this is uncommon or more would complain.
...I can see them refunding the 3rd party one time cost, but not taking over warranty.

I am not sure I agree Tesla should warranty them but I bet Tesla does just to simplify things. Hats off to Tony and others by the way.

...I didn't get this email (2016 MS). Does that mean my vehicle isn't part of this?
Pretty sure you are also covered.

My instrument cluster (IC) is also slow to turn on after MCU1 replacement. It used to be very fast. I think this is uncommon or more would complain.

Are you sure you don't have power saving enabled? I guess it changed somehow in recent firmwares. So it might be you just got a firmware upgrade at the same time when fixing MCU.

With power saving enabled, it takes very long for the IC to wake up. Much longer than MCU screen.. But with power saving disabled it turns on instantly, and at least I didn't notice any big difference in phantom drain etc.

I wonder if I paid almost $ 3,000 to replace the MCU last year and then sold the car and changed the TMS to the younger S model. Will I still get a refund? Or voucher for MCU 2 upgrade

The wording on the email is "Our records show that you own, or previously owned"..

I guess whoever has paid for the MCU fix or replacement, is eligble for the refund. It wouldn't be very fair if the new owner would get $3000 back. :)

• Informative
I got a text from the service center regarding the appointment I made to have the eMMC replaced.

"This is Tesla Service reviewing your scheduled appointment regarding your touchscreen concern and/or the recent communication regarding the Warranty Adjustment Program for the Model S/X memory chip. Please note not all concerns may be resolved by the component replacement provided in this program, and each vehicle would require a full diagnosis by our technicians prior to replacing the part under this Adjustment Program. Please also note this is not a recall, and Tesla is not performing any proactive repairs under this program at this time. If you've had any issues with your touchscreen going blank, or intermittently going blank, in the last 14 days, please provide an accurate date and time of the last occurrence. Without an accurate time and date of the occurrence, we are unable to verify a repair."

Start documenting the date/time you are experiencing issues (and what they are) as that is what they want to see.

Last edited:
I found this list of firmware changes that are designed to improve eMMC life:

View attachment 606986

Very Interesting, Thanks for that info. I think they aren't caching map tiles as much after the 2020.32 update since I am noticing a lot more black tiles on the map that need to be DL'ed as I am driving along. I have 2020.36.11. Anyone else notice more black tiles on the map as you are driving?

Very Interesting, Thanks for that info. I think they aren't caching map tiles as much after the 2020.32 update since I am noticing a lot more black tiles on the map that need to be DL'ed as I am driving along. I have 2020.36.11. Anyone else notice more black tiles on the map as you are driving?

I assumed that it was the streaming music services that they would no longer cache on the eMMC, but I guess not caching the map tiles could help too.

Hi. I’m fairly new to this specific thread but did get the email. I currently have a 2013 MS P85. At one point my MCU was replaced due to air bubbles but I’m not sure what version they changed me to. At that time Tesla also upgraded me for free to 4G. My center screen is working but I have noticed the following...

car is much slower to turn on. The binnicle display above the steering wheel stays dark for a while before finally powering on

my nav doesn’t have route lines in the map. If I reset the center display they will reappear but then after a few drives they disappear again

My phone contacts are not loading on the car from my iPhone

the usb drive with my music occassionally has to reload and takes a long time to register.

has anyone experienced these and are these signs of an upcoming failure. I checked the list of possible warning signs on the lead in for this thread and these do not seem to be on the list.
Thanks in advance.

mrjedistud - Are you sure your MCU was replaced, or was it just the screen (due to the air bubbles)?

Also, regarding the USB drive reloading - that is still a common issue/problem that, as far as I know, has not been fixed (yet):

USB Music RE-Loading

Love Tesla. Love my car. Wish Tesla would please fix the USB Audio Player.

Made an appointment yesterday to get fixed...just missed the cut off at 109K miles :-(

Mine is permanently displaying only the backup camera now and never goes to sleep. Consumes 4% battery /day
Seem like most people get 100% black screen, anyone else seen backup cam?

20201110_071353.jpg

20201110_071353.jpg

It started happening on my car after one of the updates (not immediately after emmc replacement). I noticed IC takes longer to come up, especially late at night or when the car has been parked for days. I figures it's just Tesla putting the IC to sleep more aggressively to prolong its life (note, I don't have power saving/sleep enabled for MCU). It seems independent of the MCU since MCU often wakes up before IC. For a short while (maybe a month) I even had issues with IC not talking to MCU properly (both were up but IC was complaining MCU was not working requiring rebooting both) but an update few weeks ago fixed that.