Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have not seen this before, however this does seem like a sign of failure. This is much more rare.

Maybe it is 2020.40.0.4 fcbbf892 MCU limp-mode default behavior?
  • The climate defaulted to ~70'f / auto
  • The backup camera is full-time onscreen
  • The max charge level limited to 80%
  • The max charge rate is limited 240v/8A
  • Performance output is limited to 200kw / Regen is set to minimal
The very short list of working stuff: Clock, Speedometer, TPMS, Parking distance red/yellow/green all seem to working.

Not working: Dash brightness is set to -5%, Sunroof non-op, odometer, and all the other obvious MCU functions.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
The very short list of working stuff: Clock, Speedometer, TPMS, Parking distance red/yellow/green all seem to working.

Not working: Dash brightness is set to -5%, Sunroof non-op, odometer, and all the other obvious MCU functions.
Is this limp mode a known thing? I try to read this thread religiously, must have missed.

For sure that looks like a recent limp mode. The camera is the biggest reason this issue is being looked at seriously from Tesla thanks to the NHTSA pressure, so they have that covered, and the HVAC is now on; another safety issue, and I assume your turn signals are working, (but that may have been some issue regarding the 12V battery disconnection/MCU removal procedure according to EV-fixme)

And although 2020.40.0.4 is a more recent update, having come out at the end of September, it sure isn't a very popular one.

The fellow who got the onscreen warning message was also on an update from early Sept.: 2020.36.3.1, so quietly behind the scenes Tesla has been working on this for some time. Not many have that firmware either. It would have been interesting to see that if he didn't bring it to the service centre and kept going if his would eventually get the same condition as your car.

Now I wonder how those outside of the US will be treated, as there is no NHTSA outside of the US. Will Canadians/Australians/Europeans get these limp-mode updates and messages? Probably. Will they be warranted? Probably not.

Reactions: morrisdl
Hey All,
I have at 2015 S 70D and it has been great - so good that I bought the wife a 3 when it came out.
A couple years ago is when I first had the screen go wonky on me. Tesla said to double scroll reboot it. That said - it started to go gradually happen more and more often. Then a couple months ago year 4.9 (52k) it went dead. Service was great at getting working again. No charge.
It just went dead again. They want me to pay $1700 or $2500. They are saying it is not the MMC - but some other part.
wtf?
Thoughts?

Its rare we see issues outside of the eMMC, there has been some rare occasions of MCU component failure outside of eMMC which usually resulted from severe crashes.

Limp Mode = Recall CYA Mode.
Um, lemme see. They've:

1) updated software to mitigate root cause (journaling)
2) gotten repair price down to $500
3) extended the warranty to 8 years from purchase
4) offered to refund/credit qualified prior repairs
5) appear to be implementing software mitigation to provide imminent failure warnings and mitigate disruption

I acknowledge that there's been a period during which owners have had to take it upon themselves to overpay and/or go to 3rd parties. Item (4) above only partially addresses that period, and hopefully Tesla will make claims simple and offer further goodwill.

But, outside of that, this seems like a prudent path forward for everyone. Rather than jamming already busy service centers with hundreds of thousands of cars undergoing a half day recall procedure (many of which would not actually need the repair for months or years), this approach sequences the repairs, putting the most urgent up front.

While I know first hand (owning 3 Teslas, including original owner of 2012 P85 coming off extended warranty in a month) the slings and arrows we have dealt with (having myself been : "A" batteried, chargegated, emmc'd), I also have an 8 year old car that has had minimal maintenance and service issues, low cost of ownership, and still looks and drives like new. Assuming they administer it fairly, I really prefer Tesla's approach on this over a recall, which would unnecessarily disrupt service for all of us.

Last edited:
Picked up a CPO MS75 a few months ago (48k miles) and have seen occasional screen freezes (about once a month). I recorded the date/time of the most recent occurrence and opened a service request. The technician said my request "is not qualified for the adjustment program due to the memory card not being the cause of your issues". However they did say the memory card was close to being full and they have cleared "unnecessary files". I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things going forward and will be sure to document any future screen glitches.

• Informative
Reactions: morrisdl
Um, lemme see. They've:

I also have an 8 year old car that has had minimal maintenance and service issues, low cost of ownership, and still looks and drives like new. Assuming they administer it fairly, I really prefer Tesla's approach on this over a recall, which would unnecessarily disrupt service for all of us.

Um, lemme see. They,

1) Created the problem. (Fart Apps vs Fixing Logging).
2) First had owners pay $2000+ to replace the MCU instead of the card.
3) Put drivers in harms way.
4) Caused early adopters/loyal owners years of headache, before finally admitting fault.
5) Have admitted to the NHTSA that "MCU failures are likely to continue to occur ... until 100% of units have failed."

I've had 3 Tesla's also. Two with MCU1 failures. They should have done the right thing much sooner. There will be a lot of MCU1 failures after 100k and they shouldn't leave those owners hanging (again they caused it). They've had 8+ years to get their stuff together regarding service center queues. They can still manage the service/recall process based on priority (if Honda can they can). They can and should be proactively detecting imminent eMMC failures and notifying owners to come in for repair prior to the black screen of death.

"Limp mode" and the "warranty adjustment" are better than nothing. However, these are again Tesla's kludges; defending this conduct does not help them improve. IMO.

Last edited:
Got the text from Tesla prior to my service appointment for the 30th wanting exact date and time of last crash. Lucky for them it happened literally 2 days ago on my trip to TN twice. To be honest I am starting to get very frustrated with how poorly my car operates under critical highway conditions. I have raised a complaint to NHTSA as well primarily because this is very dangerous when this stuff starts having faulty behavior. THREE times in total(twice on this trip alone, I have had either the dashboard freeze on me, or autopilot start to malfunction mid use as well on the highway going 65+. Like... Tesla needs to get their s*** together because these kinda bugs/hardware issues will lead to someone causing a major accident. Driving down the road letting autopilot do its thing(even with your hands ready) and mid turn it shutting off and your dashboard is a scary experience. These are originally $100k+ dollar cars. MAKE THEM WORK. People please start reporting serious car issues you have with your model S otherwise Tesla will continue to sweep it under the rug or hide behind "potential warranty but maybe not" BS clauses because they don't wanna spend the money when putting literal customers in dangers way. Maybe some of yalls glitches are just annoyances but for me its been two very scary moments having the thing bug out on my at high speeds and luckily I pay close attention and stay ready to take control otherwise would have lead to crashes.

Your complaint has been received. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us about your safety concern.
Your Complaint Number: 11375680

File your own, let them know the issues your facing here:
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Attachments

• TeslaScreenBlack.jpg
    TeslaScreenBlack.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 55
  • Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
...... luckily I pay close attention and stay ready to take control otherwise would have lead to crashes.

Well, every time you engage autopilot you agree to "keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times". Luck should not enter the equation.
Just like adverse weather conditions, if autopilot is not working properly, then don't use it.

Using Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability
Before using Autopilot, please read your Owner's Manual for instructions and more safety information. While using Autopilot, it is your responsibility to stay alert, keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times and maintain control of your car. Many of our Autopilot features, like Autosteer, Navigate on Autopilot and Summon, are disabled by default. To enable them, you must go to the Autopilot Controls menu within the Settings tab and turn them on.

Before enabling Autopilot, the driver first needs to agree to “keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times” and to always “maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle.” Subsequently, every time the driver engages Autopilot, they are shown a visual reminder to “keep your hands on the wheel."

Thanks, went through the quote.... It is the MMC, but not covered as part of the extended warranty. There isn't enough detail in the service bulletin and I am just going back and forth with the service people. Is there anyone else to call? You think this wouldn't happen at the Tesla Service in Palo Alto.

Why is the eMMC failure not covered under the extended warranty?

The information they have doesn't say that. It sounds to me like they cover the diag fees as long as they are for "the part and condition described" in their warranty adjustment program.
I am pretty sure Tesla will find a way to wiggle away from 3rd party warrant repair issues...

What is a 3rd party warrant repair? I understand 3rd party. But Tesla has not authorized any 3rd parties to perform warranty repair. So, I guess you are correct. They surely will wiggle out of something that they didn't authorize.

What is a 3rd party warrant repair? I understand 3rd party. But Tesla has not authorized any 3rd parties to perform warranty repair. So, I guess you are correct. They surely will wiggle out of something that they didn't authorize.
They wanted $2,300 to fix it, to swap mine out with a refurb MCU1 with 1 or 2 year warranty (now extended to 8yrs/100k miles from original delivery date of the car). Obviously Tesla thought $2,300 was a fair price when they quoted me, so I think it sounds reasonable they should pay me that amount. Of course Tesla would not be expected to warranty my repair, I'm totally fine with that.

Hi. I’m fairly new to this specific thread but did get the email.

has anyone experienced these and are these signs of an upcoming failure. I checked the list of possible warning signs on the lead in for this thread and these do not seem to be on the list.
Thanks in advance.
Talked to the service center and they told me I could upgrade to MCU2 for $2250 if I kept my same screen. I hadn’t heard that before but thought it was interesting.

@jfarlow12, Since you mention you had not heard this before that you could save $250 reusing your screen, I guess you also have not hard many of us rave about the vast improvement in the car by upgrading to MCU2. Its amazing. It will turn your '17 into a new car. Many of us have said the same thing. Highly recommend it.

Reactions: mspohr and morrisdl
Why is the eMMC failure not covered under the extended warranty?

Too often we hear someone report (accurately report) that someone as Tesla has told them something that makes no sense to us. Something that we know absolutely must be wrong. And I think, that 99.9% of the time is wrong. Just because someone at Tesla told an owner something and it gets repeated here, does not make it true. We all know now often Tesla has new people. New people that don't have the corporate historical background or are not current on service or repair policy. Its someone naive of us to jump on the same bandwagon and continue the false information by repeating it ourselves. I don't know about you, but I don't let one occurrence - one reported bit of information through off my usual thinking of how Tesla behaves in responses. Once is not enough.

In this case "Why the eMMC failure is not covered by the extended warranty"? It is - it has been every other time that we have heard someone say they had their MCU or eMMC replaced under extended warranty. I am not saying the owner heard this wrong. (Don't know). But I would take a big guess that it was the Tesla that told him wrong information.