Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. Can I ask my question now or do you want to move the goalposts further down?

Yup. as shown in the email I got, and already posted above by @MyJoule:

There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank center display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience.

Did Tesla just send out approx. 200,000 emails this morning? Or did some of you not get it yet?

Last edited:
My eMMC was replaced two weeks ago. Since it was replaced, my iPhone app can't unlock the car, open the trunk or open the frunk (everything else seems to work). That's the nagging problem Tesla's been struggling with on my car. The mobile tech said I need to take it to the service center again, but I can't get an appointment until March. They say this is something they used to be able to fix OTA but new "security enhancements" have made that no longer possible.

I the same thing happen to my car and they needed to have it at the SC for another 1-2 hours to fix it.

My Story:

I had my eMMC DB replaced at the SC and they finished after they closed but let me know my car would be locked and ready for pickup with the key inside of it and I could unlock it with my phone app. I drove about 30 minutes up there about 8pm after they closed and tried to unlock the car with the app. Nothing.. flash the lights, honk the horn, yeah that all worked. Now i thought I could crawl through the trunk to get in the car but that didnt work either. Feeling defeated I drove the 30 minutes back home.

The next day i took the extra key I had up there with me since that was my only hope. They were open and I went in and told them what happened the night before. They sent some remote command and asked me to walk out to the car and try again. I did, NOPE. still not opening with the phone app. Luckily I had the extra key with me and that worked normally. They took the car back in to the shop and had it for 1-2 hours and came back fully factory reset but now the phone app was working. What a mess.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I the same thing happen to my car and they needed to have it at the SC for another 1-2 hours to fix it.

My Story:

I had my eMMC DB replaced at the SC and they finished after they closed but let me know my car would be locked and ready for pickup with the key inside of it and I could unlock it with my phone app. I drove about 30 minutes up there about 8pm after they closed and tried to unlock the car with the app. Nothing.. flash the lights, honk the horn, yeah that all worked. Now i thought I could crawl through the trunk to get in the car but that didnt work either. Feeling defeated I drove the 30 minutes back home.

The next day i took the extra key I had up there with me since that was my only hope. They were open and I went in and told them what happened the night before. They sent some remote command and asked me to walk out to the car and try again. I did, NOPE. still not opening with the phone app. Luckily I had the extra key with me and that worked normally. They took the car back in to the shop and had it for 1-2 hours and came back fully factory reset but now the phone app was working. What a mess.

I suppose that is a success security wise, because if the owner with the app can't steal his own car, it is pretty certain someone else couldn't either. :)

I took my car about a month ago to have the car startup issue reviewed (where it takes minutes to start the car), the SC told me I was ineligible to receive the upgrade for free. I received the recall notice for the new 64gb eMMC. Receiving an upgraded memory chip really only solves half the decision for me on whether or not to get the MCU V2.

Here's what I want to know - does this 64gb eMMC fix the startup time? Does it enable the browser and other features to now work? Would I be able to get other updates that later Model S get?

If I don't get MCU V2, then I wouldn't get the upgraded modem which is necessary to make Netflix/YouTube (and added games) usable...

What do you think?

I took my car about a month ago to have the car startup issue reviewed (where it takes minutes to start the car), the SC told me I was ineligible to receive the upgrade for free. I received the recall notice for the new 64gb eMMC. Receiving an upgraded memory chip really only solves half the decision for me on whether or not to get the MCU V2.

Here's what I want to know - does this 64gb eMMC fix the startup time? Does it enable the browser and other features to now work? Would I be able to get other updates that later Model S get?

If I don't get MCU V2, then I wouldn't get the upgraded modem which is necessary to make Netflix/YouTube (and added games) usable...

What do you think?
my daughter board replaced under warranty in November.
It does NOT give you upgraded modem or enable MCU2 functionality. It simply fixes MCU1. And don’t think you won’t occasionally still have reboots or slow startup or startup issues. Those were not ALL caused by EMMC. So if you were hoping for a free MCU2 upgrade, forget it. Buy it or don’t buy it. I didn’t and won’t.

Here's what I want to know - does this 64gb eMMC fix the startup time? Not Really, slightly faster on mine but still 20 seconds
Does it enable the browser and other features to now work? No, browser still does not work
Would I be able to get other updates that later Model S get? No, Nothing will change with your updates. You still have MCU1
If I don't get MCU V2, then I wouldn't get the upgraded modem: Correct

I got the email this morning too, and can't wait to get the upgrade when they have it ready. I have been frustrated with the issues of late, and it's been dangerous.

Interesting article related to this.

Question I have is: will this hardware upgrade allow us to get some of the new features that newer Tesla owners enjoy?

Tesla finally acknowledges eMMC failure with its touchscreen, offers extended warranty - Electrek
No, it will not. It is a replacement of the failed memory chip with a larger and more durable version that should give significantly longer lifetime. t will perhaps improve performance if your old memory chip was very worn.

Tesla Mobile Tech just left. After an hour on his laptop and phone, he was not able to solve the problem, so I still can't unlock the car or open the trunk or frunk using the iPhone app. Everything else works. He said that a higher level technician was required to get this job done, which means I'll need to bring it in to the Service Center, again.

This happened to me twice (after HW3 upgrade and after eMMC replacement). It seems that whenever some of the core computing hardware changes, new security keys need to be generated and uploaded to the car by Tesla. For each service, I now always request that the technician ensure the security keys work so that I can use the app to lock/unlock the car. On the upside, last time they kept my car for four days but gave me a brand new Model X Performance loaner...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I received the same notice from Tesla as well as an email from the NHTSA. I paid $200 to replace the MCU under the extended service agreement in June of 2019 so hopefully I'll get that back, even though it's not much. Does anyone know of this part has the 64 GB eMMC?

MCU,MDLX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN(1098010-00-F)​

The email from NHTSA calls this recall campaign 21V35000: Center Display Can Lose Rearview Camera Image:

January 29, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V035000
Center Display Can Lose Rearview Camera Image
The eMMC controller wear-out condition can cause the loss of the rearview camera display, defrost/defog control settings, and exterior turn signal lighting, reducing visibility and increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V035000

Manufacturer Tesla, Inc.

Components EXTERIOR LIGHTING, VISIBILITY, BACK OVER PREVENTION

Potential Number of Units Affected 134,951

Summary

Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2012-2018 Tesla Model S and 2016-2018 Model X vehicles with a center display equipped with a NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor. When the 8GB eMMC NAND flash memory device for the center display reaches lifetime wear, the eMMC controller will no longer be able to maintain the integrity of the filesystem, causing a failure in some of the center display functions.

Remedy

Tesla will notify owners, and will replace the VCM daughterboard with one containing an enhanced eMMC controller, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 30, 2021. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla's number for this recall is SB-21-21-001.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.​

Tesla recalls almost 135,000 vehicles over touchscreen failures

"The company isn’t all that enthusiastic, however. It rejected the notion that the chip wear represented a defect, arguing to officials that it was “economically, if not technologically, infeasible” to expect the eMMC storage to last a vehicle’s whole useful lifespan. It was conducting the recall to end the investigation and improve the customer experience. In the recall notice, the NHTSA said it “does not agree” and that this didn’t change Tesla’s obligations."

To Paraphrase: Owners should expect their brake pads to last longer than the computer.

Finally.

They did what they should have done in the first place. Yet, they are still acting like jerks about it.

As an early adopter, this eMMC drama fundamentally changed my view of the company; and I think fundamentally changed how Tesla perceives its owners.

I won't say never, but I highly doubt I will by another...

RIP old Tesla 2003-2015. Hello, baby Edison 2015-Beyond.

Here's what I want to know - does this 64gb eMMC fix the startup time? Not Really, slightly faster on mine but still 20 seconds
Does it enable the browser and other features to now work? No, browser still does not work
Would I be able to get other updates that later Model S get? No, Nothing will change with your updates. You still have MCU1
If I don't get MCU V2, then I wouldn't get the upgraded modem: Correct

THANKS! :(

This happened to me twice (after HW3 upgrade and after eMMC replacement). It seems that whenever some of the core computing hardware changes, new security keys need to be generated and uploaded to the car by Tesla. For each service, I now always request that the technician ensure the security keys work so that I can use the app to lock/unlock the car. On the upside, last time they kept my car for four days but gave me a brand new Model X Performance loaner...
Note there are different sets of keys:

car.crt and car.key are needed for connection back to the mothership

mcu_commands_key is needed for for app commands to work