Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will make excuses to not replace your MCU1 with an MCU 2 as it costs them money, they will blame the MCU crashes on absolutely ANY aftermarket installs on the car (stereo, dashcams, usb drives, phones) in order to avoid costs to make this right. SO sorry if your MCU is failing but dont tell me tesla will make good, im two years in to dealing with this and they just donet give a F___ once the sale is made

Sure hope I have better luck with the "voluntary recall". My problems have been on the increase lately (2014 with 342k MI) but still not as bad as many. Reboots are mostly dependent on how often I use USB music, which I've mostly been avoiding lately.

I'll let them do the eMMC (free) upgrade and then decide whether MCU2 is worth it.

In general I agree with your sentiment - Tesla doesn't care about owners of their early cars. But it also seems highly dependent on the particular SC.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I just called about my tesla S in for battery repair. The service agent at Van Nuys said $1700 plus labor if i decide to upgrade to newer unit. This new unit is discounted if i upgrade instead of warranty repair. Extra if i want satellite and radio.
Well that service agent is mistaken. Its documented the cost and the cost includes labor except tax for $1500
Yes, extra if you want radio restored.

I just called about my tesla S in for battery repair. The service agent at Van Nuys said $1700 plus labor if i decide to upgrade to newer unit. This new unit is discounted if i upgrade instead of warranty repair. Extra if i want satellite and radio.

Well that service agent is mistaken. Its documented the cost and the cost includes labor except tax for $1500
Yes, extra if you want radio restored.

just to reiterate- price is clearly documented here - Infotainment Upgrade

and labor is included.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Finnally, at least now I can get refunded the $2,562.50 they billed me for MCU1 replacement (mind you, it was replaced with the same defective MCU1 too)...
Anyone get a refund yet or been contacted to get a refund for MCU1/eMMc replacement?

I certainly haven't been contacted or offered a refund for my MCU1 replacement I had done in Oct'19. Didn't Tesla say in their Nov'20 email to be contacted by Feb'21!

Anyone get a refund yet or been contacted to get a refund for MCU1/eMMc replacement?

I certainly haven't been contacted or offered a refund for my MCU1 replacement I had done in Oct'19. Didn't Tesla say in their Nov'20 email to be contacted by Feb'21!

The refunds got delayed by the NHTSA request for a recall. In the statement they put out today they said that they will release information about the requirements for reimbursement by the end of March.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Are you sure? I read the email and FAQ again, didn’t say that. Only reference made for March 31 is about reimbursement of prior repairs. It does include a link to check VIN for the recall, which implies recall info should have been updated in NHTSA database.

Right, you can check and once the recall starts your VIN should be listed. (If it is included.)

It is in the recall notice on the NHTSA site:

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V035000

Manufacturer Tesla, Inc.

Components EXTERIOR LIGHTING, VISIBILITY, BACK OVER PREVENTION

Potential Number of Units Affected 134,951

Summary

Tesla, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain 2012-2018 Tesla Model S and 2016-2018 Model X vehicles with a center display equipped with a NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor. When the 8GB eMMC NAND flash memory device for the center display reaches lifetime wear, the eMMC controller will no longer be able to maintain the integrity of the filesystem, causing a failure in some of the center display functions.

Remedy

Tesla will notify owners, and will replace the VCM daughterboard with one containing an enhanced eMMC controller, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin March 30, 2021. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-877-798-3752. Tesla's number for this recall is SB-21-21-001.

Reactions: OnMyWayOut
Are you sure? I read the email and FAQ again, didn’t say that. Only reference made for March 31 is about reimbursement of prior repairs. It does include a link to check VIN for the recall, which implies recall info should have been updated in NHTSA database.
Yes, it does imply that. However it also says on the linked page "it may take some time for new recalls to appear" (I'm paraphrasing).

They only agreed 5 days ago. I'm sure it's going to take some time to parse the data and get it approved by the NTSB.

The service women who helped sounded new. Thanks for the link, i will make sure they know this. Its difficult to see tesla do well in building the technology yet fall so far in customer service and accurate information.
Just wonderin' ;) What's the sound of "new"? And since we are here/there, do I sound "old"? :)

Reminds me of when I was a teen. I had a '65 Chevelle SS, and a friend had a 66 Fury. We were haulin' down a frontage road to a hangout. Cops stepped out of a side street and stopped us. He said, :I heard you two speeding towards me.". My redneck friend, dropped the cigarette he was smoking on the asphalt and stepped on it putting it out with his bare foot. He pulled up his pants and said to policemen, 'cuse me officer, but what does speed sound like?' Police stood there quiet like a minute then gave us back our driver licenses and said, 'be on your way - slowly this time'.

Last edited:
Reactions: dark cloud