Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to see lots of C class and 3 Series on the freeway before but now I see more 3s and lately Ys. My daughter lives in a cul de sac with 10 houses in Manhattan Beach, there are 3 Xs 1 3 and 1 Y there. On any weekend when parents go visiting, you would see my S and 2 additional Xs. They need more Supercharger.

On another note, I ordered the MCU2 upgrade when it was 2,500.00, by the time they did mine last week they charged me 1,500.00 for it. My S is a Feb 2018 build and thought I really did not need the faster map refresh and definitely not games and video. But since the pandemic I do a lot more road trips instead of flying to see my daughter and experiencing more and more of the black screen and reboot. So instead of going back and forth with the SC to fix it I just told them to order me the Infotainment upgrade. I am very happy with the upgrade, do not think much of the games and video especially my iPad works better, maybe different if center display is in landscape mode and 5G. Dashcam viewer is so much more practical than pulling the SD card to view. HW3 should be faster in rendering images though not sure if firmware will take advantage of it for EAP only. Bottom line, I am happy.

the mcu2 has a 5g modem now?

Probably nobody will see this comment since the thread is so long, but I just wanted to mention that I've discovered a really neat side-effect of the Tegra upgrade.

BTW, I had the upgrade performed last year by @EV-Fixme and it went well. I removed the display and shipped him the defective board. A couple days later he had finished upgrading the memory, I then installed the upgraded board. To my surprise the removal and installation was easier than expected and I was able to fairly easily coax the top of the dashboard up enough to remove the display without having to take it off and without damaging the trim.

OK, now back to the point: I often drive in mountainous areas with poor to no cell service, so I like to "preload" the map on the touchscreen by dragging it to where I plan to go before I lose service. However it used to be that I could only "preload" about 3 times the display area - any further and it would lose some tiles. Now, after the upgrade, I can drag the map around and preload in great detail over a dozen times the display area - and the tiles I've preloaded are retained for many days now. It seems that the additional size of the upgraded memory chip has a beneficial effect when using the navigation in spotty areas!

Last edited:
Probably nobody will see this comment since the thread is so long, but I just wanted to mention that I've discovered a really neat side-effect of the Tegra upgrade.

BTW, I had the upgrade performed last year by @EV-Fixme and it went well. I removed the display and shipped him the defective board. A couple days later he had finished upgrading the memory, I then installed the upgraded board. To my surprise the removal and installation was easier than expected and I was able to fairly easily coax the top of the dashboard up enough to remove the display without having to take it off and without damaging the trim.

OK, now back to the point: I often drive in mountainous areas with poor to no cell service, so I like to "preload" the map on the touchscreen by dragging it to where I plan to go before I lose service. However it used to be that I could only "preload" about 3 times the display area - any further and it would lose some tiles. Now, after the upgrade, I can drag the map around and preload in great detail over a dozen times the display area - and the tiles I've preloaded are retained for many days now. It seems that the additional size of the upgraded memory chip has a beneficial effect when using the navigation in spotty areas!

Interesting, free space would not have changed. Lots of small map files sit on the eMMC, I wonder if you had bad ones in the past that possibly made your MCU think you had them cached already? I'll add your note to the front post.

A simple question. Tesla is proposing a remanufactured part for my MCU recall?

why can’t I get a brand new part? Is that to much to ask?

Yes, it is too much to ask. Your warranty states Tesla can use new or remanufactured parts. Your car isn't new is it? Why would you get to demand a new part?

And as @mspohr said, there likely aren't any new parts available, so it probably isn't even an option if you wanted to pay for it.