Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say that's the UBLOX box, also responsible for LTE connectivity. I think it's inside the MCU1, and most likely you got a new one with the new MCU. P/N is 1054968-01-B, but it's a restricted part. Hopefully they'll fix it for free.

@MOrpH3x: Thanks. That actually makes sense because beyond the major GPS issues, the LTE performance also seems to be degraded compared to pre-service, now switching between 3G and LTE. Let's see what Service comes up with. Or maybe I just need to bite the bullet and shell out for the MCU2, which I presume should fix it all, and then some...

@MOrpH3x: Thanks. That actually makes sense because beyond the major GPS issues, the LTE performance also seems to be degraded compared to pre-service, now switching between 3G and LTE. Let's see what Service comes up with. Or maybe I just need to bite the bullet and shell out for the MCU2, which I presume should fix it all, and then some...

maybe missed the antenna connection(s).

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr and Akikiki
All on here using semantics and overall general excuses as to why Tesla should NOT upgrade previous owners to MCU2 are either not experiencing the issue, work for Tesla, have no understanding of computer systems or not familiar with automotive grade components.

It is WELL documented that the MCU1 overall is a problematic mess of cheap parts that only work under certain ideal conditions. For example, if the website is not too complicated, and while not having GPS or streaming service running. Sure, there are bottlenecks such as LTE, but when connected to Wifi via home or mobile phone, this should not be an issue. This computer is woefully underpowered given the tasks it has to handle all throughout the car.

To compound this one small complaint vs the complete body of complaints owners have about quality issues, we have the service centers completely acting as if the responsibility to track and accept the issues is standard fare for owning a $80,000+ car. It's NOT!!

The company, service centers and managers are acting as if the owners should know that a bad design on their part SHOULD only be expected to last 5 years at most on a CAR, of all things.

Many of us, who are actually fans of the company, car and overall direction of Tesla are extremely disappointed that WE have to bear the brunt of a purchase whose main distinguishing features were the technology, screen and overall safety vs other EV/ICE on the market.

Everyone, and I mean everyone I have talked to at charging stations, etc, either have an ongoing issue, had the screen replaced, or had other major parts replaced within 3 years of purchase. Most are actively looking to sell the car in the very near future and would not recommend the Tesla cars overall to friends simply because of the nightmares of service hassles and treating them as is if they should go through extraordinary steps to get their car in a reliable as quoted condition.

I personally was told they could NOT print out the notes they took of each of my interactions and visits for service. I was told by the svc rep and Manager that it was a separate system and could not be given to me. meanwhile asking me the same questions about did I have factory resets, etc done on my car. This after at least 10 reboots in 1 year of ownership.

It is an insult to those of us who did support the company and it's vision to hear someone now give excuses as to why a company refuses to actually FIX the issues of thousands of people without being FORCED to by a NHTSA recall or threat of recall.

I’m really getting sick of Tesla and all the BS problems with a 160,000 car.

Well you wouldn't be the first here to sell the car, move on to something with a nicer interior, better reliability, better (dealership) service, such as a Lexus, and enjoy half the performance and 5 times the energy cost to drive it, and yet months after selling it still continue to post negative sentiments on this forum.

Well you wouldn't be the first here to sell the car, move on to something with a nicer interior, better reliability, better (dealership) service, such as a Lexus, and enjoy half the performance and 5 times the energy cost to drive it, and yet months after selling it still continue to post negative sentiments on this forum.
Not sure about the reliability and service bits. If you visit Lexus (or BMW, etc.) forums, you will find equivalent "horror" stories.
YMMV

I got a complete black screen for the first time yesterday. Then instrument cluster screen gave an error saying center display unavailable. After driving for 30 minutes with a black screen, I parked and did a scroll button reset and the display came back. But after a few minutes it went dark again.

I scheduled an appointment on the app was was provided a quote at full price at $354. I brought up the recall and was told he/she forgot to input it. Then I was told to install the latest update to clear the error. I said I’ll try later but it somehow installed on its own at 2am.

This morning I received a message stating they are prioritizing vehicles with a hardware fault and my vehicle is still not flagged for it yet. They also said the firmware update resolved the center screen display issue.

I haven’t gone out to the car yet as it’s not parked close but it seems shady that they sent me a quote for the replacement but reneged it after it was going to fall under the recall.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

Although I agree EVs cost less than gas, 5 times the energy cost for a Lexus, or even a truck, is quite a stretch.

Tesla 5 cents a mile if I buy electricity. 15 cents kWh - no maintenance cost
ICE car 20 cents a mile (CA gas $4/gal). + Maintenance

Your example only indicates 4x the cost for energy but even those numbers aren’t reflective of actual California rates. Supercharging costs about $0.30/kWh and most residential rates cost more than $0.15/kWh, especially when higher tiers come into play.

I would say average energy savings would realistically be around 2-3x. Driving a hybrid like a Prius would actually cost less in gas compared to electricity in a Tesla, but I don’t think that’s an apples to apples comparison.

• Disagree
Reactions: tkizzy
Your example only indicates 4x the cost for energy but even those numbers aren’t reflective of actual California rates. Supercharging costs about $0.30/kWh and most residential rates cost more than $0.15/kWh, especially when higher tiers come into play.

I would say average energy savings would realistically be around 2-3x. Driving a hybrid like a Prius would actually cost less in gas compared to electricity in a Tesla, but I don’t think that’s an apples to apples comparison.
More detail for the pendants.
My electricity is 15 cents (actually free from my fully amortized solar) 4.5 per mile
Local gas is 4.29 Large car (not Prius) 15 to 20 mpg or 28 to 21 per mile.
28/4.5 = 6.6 x
21/4.5 = 4.7 x

YMMV

Recently I got the black screen of death. The touchscreen just wouldn't come on, and the error message appeared on the dash stating that the screen is unavailable. I tried the reboot sequence to no avail. Several minutes later is started up and has been OK since, for now... Prior to that, it has glitched a couple of times but I was able to reboot it those times. This is the first I've seen the error message. I don't understand - could it already be going out again just a few months after the fix? o_O

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
More detail for the pendants.
My electricity is 15 cents (actually free from my fully amortized solar) 4.5 per mile
Local gas is 4.29 Large car (not Prius) 15 to 20 mpg or 28 to 21 per mile.
28/4.5 = 6.6 x
21/4.5 = 4.7 x

YMMV

Each person's situation is different so I agree that it's definitely YMMV. I don't have the luxury of solar at home so I'm at the mercy of SCE rates. I still have two ICE cars that I seldom use and maybe fill up gas maybe once every few months. The last time was two weeks ago at around $3.20/gal but I guess prices have gone up since.

Having owned several ICE vehicles and two EVs other than my Tesla, I was definitely surprised to find out that my Tesla energy savings isn't as much as most claim online. I attribute it to the daily ~1% drain, cabin overheat protection when sunny, battery warming in cold weather, etc. Would I still buy a Tesla? Of course, I'm happy with the car but I wouldn't consider the energy savings as a considerable advantage over others.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: tkizzy and mspohr