Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a) Two diff pages with FAQs.
8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions - Link: 8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions
8GB eMMC Reimbursement Frequently Asked Questions - Link: 8GB eMMC Reimbursement Frequently Asked Questions

b) Received '1)' today. Followed link and then saw '2)'. Filled out the form. I upgraded MCU1->MCU2 for multiple reasons including the eMMC and symptoms.

1) ______________________________ _____________________________
YOPUclC.jpg

2) ______________________________ _____________________________

BNZAv8j.jpg

Last edited:
Received '1)' today. Followed link and then saw '2)'. Filled out the form. I upgraded MCU1->MCU2 for multiple reasons including the eMMC and symptoms.
1)
YOPUclC.jpg

2)

BNZAv8j.jpg
Same situation - did the MCU1-->MCU2 upgrade out of pocket 5/2020 to fix a documented failing eMMC. Felt at the time the benefits of MCU2 warranted doing so (and have zero regrets). Got the recall reimbursement e-mail today as well, and submitted. Hoping this results in a $2500 +taxes check.

I went to fill out the form and it says no record of service for this reimbursement, and that concerns me because that's exactly what it was for.

I took it in on 10/20/20 to a service center for Tesla in my city My repair is called: Media Control Unit (remove & replace) Part: MS Tegra MCU LTE Prem w-D motherboard

is that why? they didn't just swap out a new eMMC chip with the old one they decided on a whole new motherboard?

I paid $1206.70 because the center screen was black due to the eMMC chip capacity issue.

Two diff pages with FAQs.

8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions - Link: 8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions
8GB eMMC Reimbursement Frequently Asked Questions - Link: 8GB eMMC Reimbursement Frequently Asked Questions
Hmmm... from that second page... If they're holding to this policy, a number of people that may be looking for reimbursement of an MCU1-->MCU2 upgrade may be out of luck (myself included).

Is reimbursement available for the Infotainment Upgrade?
If you paid for Tesla’s Infotainment Upgrade after Tesla Service diagnosed that your vehicle’s eMMC was malfunctioning due to the condition described in the 8GB eMMC Recall, then you may be eligible for reimbursement up to the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade.

However, if you had an active warranty or warranty adjustment program that would have covered the condition described in the 8GB eMMC Recall and you chose to purchase the Infotainment Upgrade instead, then you will not be eligible for any reimbursement.

• Helpful
Reactions: mspohr and MP3Mike
I had to pay $1,281 for a replacement of the same type of emmc mcu, due to malfunction on my 2015 model S, on 8/12/20. Now I got this email, and go to the form and it says I'm ineligible even when I have the tesla service center invoice! and there is no way to escalate the issue or talk to someone about it! What do i do?

surprised that the form allows for non Tesla repair. Probably a settlement requirement since who/how would one do that?

Are third party repairs eligible for reimbursement?
Prior repairs completed by a non-Tesla service provider may be eligible for reimbursement up to $3860 . To receive reimbursement for third-party repairs, you should provide documentation that clearly shows the repair was performed to address the issue covered under the 8GB eMMC Recall, falls within the recall period and that the repair was completed on or before April 9, 2021.

Anyone figure out what the "recall period" is?

Reactions: vickh
Tesla's online form is not letting me submit for reimbursement. My touchscreen died due to the eMMC and I paid $2562.50 out of pocket to replace it with the same defective MCU1. They even told me that eventually this one would fail too.
View attachment 642494

View attachment 642495

I dug up a screenshot of the 1st communication tesla put up about it, it was only for up to 100k miles, I have one that failed before and one after in my case.

Screenshot_20210305-202613_Gallery.jpg