Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the MCU2 upgrade completed in July 2020 after my MCU1 died. The online form recognizes the form, but when I try to submit the form I get an error. Hopefully their systems are just weird at the moment?

Tesla Error.jpg

2014 P85D
116K miles
Pin to drive enabled (might be helpful for others that have pin to drive enabled)
Never received error of failing eMMC

My experience thus far with eMMC failure. I had the feeling I was having eMMC failure back in Mid February as my model S was having issues connecting to the App (even on WIFI). February 17,2021 was the last day my car connected to the app yet MCU was still functionally ok. I started noticing 3G connection dropping pretty often where I know I had service in the past. I would just reboot and would take a while to boot but when it finally did it would regain connection but still would not connect to app. I finally got around to scheduling an appointment using my wifes phone as I could not schedule via my phone (app just displays "Vehicle Connection Error) yet she was able to access the section to schedule appointment. Ranger appointment was set for 3/9/2021 to look at the connection issues. I was going out of town from 3/4-3/7 and on my way out once again the 3G connection was lost. I decided to pull out to a near by supercharger as I would need to charge soon anyway. Plugged car in and proceeded to double scroll wheel reboot as I have in the past. This time MCU never booted....... I was like oh great I 1. cannot remote start the car 2. Pin to Drive is enabled so without screen cannot start car. at this point I was about 80 miles from home. I attempted to reboot a few times using both dual scroll and brake with scroll wheels with no luck. Called Tesla roadside as last effort to see if maybe they still had ability to connect and remote start as I knew Im out of warranty. Dont really want a tow truck to have to drag my car onto a flatbed. Nice lady on phone just had me do what I had previously completed with no luck. She then advised to tow to Service Center. I was about to call AAA to come pick up the car and it randomly started. The only thing I can think of is when the MCU fully dies it defaults and disables the pin to drive function thankfully. I was about 15 miles from a family members home and had my wife meet me there with the trusty Acura and I was able to trade her cars. The Model S had now started a few times so I wasnt really worried about it leaving her stranded. She took the car back home and contacted Tesla Service which was able to set a new Service Center appointment for 3/11.

Attachments

• Image from iOS (13).jpg
    Image from iOS (13).jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Image from iOS (8).jpg
    Image from iOS (8).jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 55
Did you get the eMMC replaced, and if so, was it at your expense? If you didn't incur a cost for a repair, that might explain the ineligibility.
Yes.
Yes.

But technically, they replaced the entire MCU1 with MCU2, not JUST the emmc. Sooooo.... What does that mean? The invoice does not mention emmc, it just states MCU1 failure was resolved by MCU2 installation.

I'm not expecting anything at this point..... I just got over the punch to the wallet. This is just a little salt in the wound.

If you need your invoice for mcu repair, Please send a email with the following information to [email protected] so we can verify the information and resend invoices:

Name:
Address:
VIN:
Date of payment:
Services provided (full service, mail in, drop off, quick service, remote service):
Amount of payment:
method of payment(paypal, zelle, credit card, etc):
email address used for payment method:

We are processing them as fast as we can, thank you for your patience.

I dug up a screenshot of the 1st communication tesla put up about it, it was only for up to 100k miles, I have one that failed before and one after in my case.

View attachment 642520
This is not some TSB or general repair. This is a recall, and as such that warranty period does not apply. Under federal law, they are required to provide reimbursement for costs incurred by owners to remedy the safety defect conditions prior to the recall. They are 100% on the hook, the law is so clear about this that it's not even arguable.

In fact, I believe the specific text states explicitly that if the recall repair occurs outside of warranty prior to the recall, the cost MUST be reimbursed. However, if the repair happened during manufacturers warranty at no cost to consumer then obviously no reimbursement. The entire purpose of it all is to ensure reimbursement to owners who incurred out of pocket repair costs prior to the recall, but not to duplicate the manufacturers own warranty program.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TonyT and sdoorex
Similar to several others who've posted we also had paid for the repair, at Tesla Service May 2020, however the result just posts ineligible after clicking submit and the top fields are blank. Also paid late in 2018 to replace the SD card and still have that receipt as well. Are we supposed to click yes it was repaired outside of Tesla attach the invoices and hope for a response? They specifically state don't contact the service center or customer service however only advise to reply to an email you'll get however the only one received is from noreply@ saying hi we think you're eligible please log in and submit.....

Wound up selecting the non Tesla option and submitted the two invoices for the $2600+ combined cost.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I also paid $200 under the ESA and the site said not eligible for reimbursement. I selected the non Tesla option, attached the invoice and added a note. We’ll see what happens.
Similar situation as me. Early July replacement under ESA ($270 CDN plus tax). After the "not eligible" notice came up, I got on line with Tesla support. 10 minutes later, I uploaded my invoice, and she submitted it for me.

So this is another method to submit the form.

Reactions: Not1Drop
Wound up selecting the non Tesla option and submitted the two invoices for the $2600+ combined cost.
Yup, did the same - poorly designed form. Or cleverly designed - depending on how you look at it.
In an ideal world, all the SC's would have coded the replacement _exactly_ the same, and as a result, the data that the form renders would be accurate. But we can deduce, do to training or other reasons, the data input at time of service is not the same as what the form is looking for 100% of the time, and the form is specifically digging into Teslas' records for "emmc" related services.

We've all been there, you know, at the grocery store at self checkout with handful of oranges with missing barcodes, and 7 menu items to choose from to define what type of orange your checking out; How often do you pick the Mandarin orange over the Tangelo orange just because it's closer to the top of the alphabetical list and you don't want to be bothered, or you're not _exactly_ sure and "what difference does it make"?

I can imagine a similar situation at the SC when the tech has to code the repair:
"Let's see MCU replacement - subcategory.. 1) cracked screen, 2) general repair 3)leaking ooze 4) memory failure 5) other ... Hmmm.... oh I don't know, 5 sounds right.. What difference does it make anyway, the repair is done"
That is until some months later some clever data miner is relying on the input data to be accurate for a use case such as this!

Let's also not forget that early on, Tesla SC was not even aware that emmc was a a root cause of MCU failure and probable was not even on the list of root causes when coded by the SC tech. I'm pretty confident there were MCU's replaced under warranty or otherwise that were not coded accuratly.

Is a loss of all sound one of the failing eMMC symptoms?

When my car first wakes from a deep sleep there is no sound from any audio source, no sound from indicators (though they do work), homelink, etc. Steering wheel re-boot brings it back to life but this problem seems to be recurring each time the car completely shuts down.

No recent software update since 2020.48.37.1 landed a few weeks ago.

This very thread contains on the first post the answer and many more to questions about eMMC failure.

Threads are dynamic and ever charging with the most recent comments. But that does not change the basic information that covers why the thread was created in the first place. Going to the last post and not reading the information and not at least the first or second posts denies readers of often dozens of related questions and answers. And its name: Consolidated. I could have said the answer, but I explained where to find it.

This very thread contains on the first post the answer and many more to questions about eMMC failure.

Threads are dynamic and ever charging with the most recent comments. But that does not change the basic information that covers why the thread was created in the first place. Going to the last post and not reading the information and not at least the first or second posts denies readers of often dozens of related questions and answers. And its name: Consolidated. I could have said the answer, but I explained where to find it.

Since the circumstance I describe isn't listed in post 1 of this thread so I'll assume the answer (which, as you rightly say, you could have said...) is 'no' then.

It may have been mentioned somewhere in the other 85 pages but can't say I recall seeing it before or elsewhere on this otherwise helpful forum hence asking.

Sorry to have troubled you.

While you didn't specifically see your issue, you had a chance to see the long list of other symptoms. Did you see anything else that sounds/looks like your car is experiencing? The dozens of services running in the car/MCU don't always fail or fail to start properly every time. Some - once they start happening, don't work again. Its common for WiFi or cell communications to stop. Sound often skips at the beginning of eMMC failure. Now, I guess, you are armed with what else to watch for. So, to me, mission accomplished - even if you are annoyed with me. That's okay. You didn't trouble me.

While you didn't specifically see your issue, you had a chance to see the long list of other symptoms. Did you see anything else that sounds/looks like your car is experiencing? The dozens of services running in the car/MCU don't always fail or fail to start properly every time. Some - once they start happening, don't work again. Its common for WiFi or cell communications to stop. Sound often skips at the beginning of eMMC failure. Now, I guess, you are armed with what else to watch for. So, to me, mission accomplished - even if you are annoyed with me. That's okay. You didn't trouble me.

I'm not annoyed with you, but did find your initial response presumptive, unhelpful and just a little bit arrogant.

As I explained, the circumstances I describe are not listed in the first post and not something I've seen described elsewhere (aside from a comment on the M3 forum - yes, I did a search as well). I have been following closely the many threads on failed eMMC issues and whilst mine still seems to work well enough at the moment, this is a new problem to me.

The fact that my problem is a recurring one made me wonder if it is one seen elsewhere for other reasons aside from eMMC, or if that could be ruled out.

Thanks for your additional comments and I do know what else to look for. That said, I'm still no wiser as to why my car wakes in silence.

I'm not annoyed with you, but did find your initial response presumptive, unhelpful and just a little bit arrogant.

As I explained, the circumstances I describe are not listed in the first post and not something I've seen described elsewhere (aside from a comment on the M3 forum - yes, I did a search as well). I have been following closely the many threads on failed eMMC issues and whilst mine still seems to work well enough at the moment, this is a new problem to me.

The fact that my problem is a recurring one made me wonder if it is one seen elsewhere for other reasons aside from eMMC, or if that could be ruled out.

Thanks for your additional comments and I do know what else to look for. That said, I'm still no wiser as to why my car wakes in silence.

You state that car wakes in silence, and reboot brings it back? If you don't reboot, does the sound ever come back?

This specific example has not been listed, and we can add it to the front page, however it's likely your chip is starting to fail, and the audio files are in corrupted areas. An update could likely restore the sound fully, and move the bug to a different section, or could black out the screen preventing MCU from future reboots till repaired.

Couple of questions. Do you mute your sound before you get out of the car? Try that. Next time you get back in, unmute and see if sound comes up right away. Are you connected to WiFi when you first get in the car? Used to be, when I left while within WiFi range, and out of range, sound would pause, then start back up. Of late though, when I get in the car, (even with WiFi connection active, the sound has been paused/stopped. I did not stop it when I got out of the car. When Music comes up on the left side of IC, I see its paused. I didn't do it. And whether I am within WiFi or Cell signal it simply starts again when it wants to start, nothing I can do like un-pause or increase volume or change stations helps. Its not always been this way. Started sometime in the last 4-6 months.

You state that car wakes in silence, and reboot brings it back? If you don't reboot, does the sound ever come back?

This specific example has not been listed, and we can add it to the front page, however it's likely your chip is starting to fail, and the audio files are in corrupted areas. An update could likely restore the sound fully, and move the bug to a different section, or could black out the screen preventing MCU from future reboots till repaired.

Thanks EV-F. Appreciate the explanation.

No, the sound doesn't come back if I don't re-boot. Drove four/five miles this morning in silence in the hope it would. Put the car on charge at my destination for a couple of hours (without having re-booted) the car was still silent when I got back in. Re-boot and all came back to life.

Couple of questions. Do you mute your sound before you get out of the car? Try that. Next time you get back in, unmute and see if sound comes up right away. Are you connected to WiFi when you first get in the car? Used to be, when I left while within WiFi range, and out of range, sound would pause, then start back up. Of late though, when I get in the car, (even with WiFi connection active, the sound has been paused/stopped. I did not stop it when I got out of the car. When Music comes up on the left side of IC, I see its paused. I didn't do it. And whether I am within WiFi or Cell signal it simply starts again when it wants to start, nothing I can do like un-pause or increase volume or change stations helps. Its not always been this way. Started sometime in the last 4-6 months.

Thanks for the follow up Akikiki, I do appreciate it.

No, I don't routinely mute the sound - I can try that and will, but I don't think that affect the sound from the indicators, homelink etc, would it? They are silenced as well the audio sources. Mine isn't intermittent, its just dead silence until a re-boot.

The car is usually connected to wifi at home but I usually use DAB for audio, not spotify or other web based service, so not sure that would have any affect? In mine, the radio shows it is connected to the station selected and will change stations/audio sources on demand, also the volume control display comes up on the IC display and changes value up/down as I roll the left control wheel, but no sound still. Likewise the warning sensors are silent as I reverse out the driveway, the gate closes with the homelink but again, no beep. This started for me 3 days ago and seems a habit now.

Thanks for the follow up Akikiki, I do appreciate it.

No, I don't routinely mute the sound - I can try that and will, but I don't think that affect the sound from the indicators, homelink etc, would it? They are silenced as well the audio sources. Mine isn't intermittent, its just dead silence until a re-boot.

The car is usually connected to wifi at home but I usually use DAB for audio, not spotify or other web based service, so not sure that would have any affect? In mine, the radio shows it is connected to the station selected and will change stations/audio sources on demand, also the volume control display comes up on the IC display and changes value up/down as I roll the left control wheel, but no sound still. Likewise the warning sensors are silent as I reverse out the driveway, the gate closes with the homelink but again, no beep. This started for me 3 days ago and seems a habit now.
Welcome. :)

I think you are correct, no music sound should not affect homelink etc sounds. Do you still have a cell or wifi connection? Asking because if no connection to "outside" can certain prevent radio/streaming to function.

Hmmm, so you are on radio/DAB side, not using Internet for your music selection? I recommend setting on streaming service before you get home, so when you are ready to leave - next time - you can confirm is sound issue is during/only DAB or its it even/also streaming.

Volume controls show value going up and down. Got ya, I understand. Gotta think about that a little. As I recall, I think there's a buzzer in the IC that makes the sound that warning sensors produce. Your situation is getting more complicated and - to me - is beginning to sound eMMC related.

You say, 3 days ago. Did you get an OTA update more than 3 days ago? Maybe this started after an update?