Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@isaacucb Be advised that in order to enable dashcam/recording with sentry mode in an AP2 Tesla you need a FSD computer. As of today, they are not upgrading the AP computer when you order a MCU1-->MCU2 upgrade, so AP2 owners are out of luck.
They are still upgrading it which is probably why it costs $500 more to upgrade an AP2/2.5 vehicle than a AP0/1/3 vehicle.

@isaacucb Be advised that in order to enable dashcam/recording with sentry mode in an AP2 Tesla you need a FSD computer. As of today, they are not upgrading the AP computer when you order a MCU1-->MCU2 upgrade, so AP2 owners are out of luck.
They have recently changed their policy, I stand corrected. A couple of months ago, it costed $1500 for everybody and you didn't get a FSD computer.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I have a 2016 P90D and had my MCU1 replaced a couple weeks ago with a new MCU2. I will say that the new MCU is very fast but I am having 1 issue with it. I like to use Teslawaze which comes up very fast on the screen, The problem is that it appears to loose it's internet connection every 10 minutes. A refresh of the page brings it back but then in 10 minutes it looses it again and I get the spinning circle in the middle of the screen. This constant refreshing of the page is just not right. Has anybody else with the new MCU2 had this problem?

I have a 2016 P90D and had my MCU1 replaced a couple weeks ago with a new MCU2. I will say that the new MCU is very fast but I am having 1 issue with it. I like to use Teslawaze which comes up very fast on the screen, The problem is that it appears to loose it's internet connection every 10 minutes. A refresh of the page brings it back but then in 10 minutes it looses it again and I get the spinning circle in the middle of the screen. This constant refreshing of the page is just not right. Has anybody else with the new MCU2 had this problem?
Perhaps it's a feature, to save Tesla money on bandwidth charges from the cellular carriers - if page unchanged for 10 minutes, disconnect it from the internet. One car data may seem negligible, but multiply it by the number of Tesla's on the road, and now it's profit.

I recently completed the MCU2 upgrade and noticed the same effect with TeslaWaze... my favorite driving app. Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information

Here is a quick hack that seems to work when you get the spinning circle on the main screen... try switching to another screen app on the same main tab (Calendar, Camera, Energy, Charging, Entertainment, etc.) and then back to the Web tab. This should reset the web browser and allow TeslaWaze to load. Hope this helps. ;)

Attachments

• mcu2 web screen 2.jpg
    mcu2 web screen 2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 70
  • tesla waze.JPG
    tesla waze.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 64
Perhaps it's a feature, to save Tesla money on bandwidth charges from the cellular carriers - if page unchanged for 10 minutes, disconnect it from the internet. One car data may seem negligible, but multiply it by the number of Tesla's on the road, and now it's profit.
That makes sense, but does an idle connection with no data being transferred still incur per-minute charges these days?

That makes sense, but does an idle connection with no data being transferred still incur per-minute charges these days?
Nope, data connection hasn't been billed by the minute since you had to use a modem over a voice call. All cellular data is billed per month (or per day sometimes) just for being connected (having an active SIM) and per data amount sent/received.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
@tldickerson, next time you can, watch your icon on the top of the screen. When you lose that waze connection, does the "/" show through your cell icon? To me, because we've not heard of this being reported for another car or another site/application in use, you may simply have a bad LTE card in your new MCU. If it was me, I log the times, maybe a half dozen or so and include them in a work request. That way when SC looks at your logs, they know where/when to look and might see a pattern that's occurring every 10 minutes from that reference point. Don't be surprised if they schedule an appointment to replace your LTE module.

@FlagSix911, I think I've done that trick but just in case I will do it again.

@Akikiki, Your suggestion of logging the times might just help Tesla find the problem. I will also check the cell icon even though I think I did that when it happened. A bad LTE card would be a easy fix if that's the problem.

I'll report back in a few days to see how it goes. I don't get out everyday to use Waze but I do need to get this fixed.

@tldickerson, LTE card would be an easy fix, but not a short one. Means pulling the dash trim, the MCU, breaking down the MCU, swapping the card, (tech, don't forget to reconnect the antenna), (that could be it too), reassemble the MCU, re-install the MCU, reinstall the trim. Don't forget the cursing when one slices open a finger on bare metal.

The SC might just take a shortcut and swap your MCU2 for another while they have it out and want to get you done and gone. Your install was recent? They might see it as a warranty of MCU2.

I had a new issue pop up yesterday. I'm starting to think that the new MCU2 could have a problem. Now when I start the car and get ready to drive. The minute you put the car in any gear a notice comes on the screen that says. Autopilot safety/convenience functions unavailable. Features may be restored on next drive.

I first tried to do the 2 button scroll reset. That didn't work so I called support, at this point I was driving. They advised me to try a Power down with the button on the center screen the next chance I get. I did that a few minutes later. That didn't help either so I called back again. The next person said to let the car sit overnight and see if that might help. This morning when I got up I went to see if the warning was gone. It came on again almost the moment I put the car in reverse. What do you people think about this new issue?

• Informative
I had a new issue pop up yesterday. I'm starting to think that the new MCU2 could have a problem. Now when I start the car and get ready to drive. The minute you put the car in any gear a notice comes on the screen that says. Autopilot safety/convenience functions unavailable. Features may be restored on next drive.

I first tried to do the 2 button scroll reset. That didn't work so I called support, at this point I was driving. They advised me to try a Power down with the button on the center screen the next chance I get. I did that a few minutes later. That didn't help either so I called back again. The next person said to let the car sit overnight and see if that might help. This morning when I got up I went to see if the warning was gone. It came on again almost the moment I put the car in reverse. What do you people think about this new issue?

Did this issue ever happen when you had your MCU1?

I got to take the car for a longer drive today. I noticed that now I only have the speed icon showing up. All the other icons like Auto Pilot and Speed Limit icons are gone. Cruise control does not work either. I have a feeling that either the MCU2 isn't working right and/or maybe the Radar isn't working. I'm going by the Tesla SC first thing Monday morning. I'll report back what they find.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
I took the car into the SC this morning. They tell me the front Radar mount is broken and needs to be replaced. They had to order a new one. Now I need to wait for that part to see if it fixes the Auto Pilot and the Cruise Control. I'll report back when that gets fixed. Should be a week or two.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke