Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long should it take to reboot the MCU? I tried the scrollwheels reboot and 10 minutes later it's still not back on. I'm wondering if this is an indication of eMMC starting to fail.

Interestingly enough, you can hear the system trying again and again as the HVAC system turns on for a bit for each cycle. I can also see the notification "Autopilot features unavailable" appearing, then it'd go away and autopilot works, repeat.

I ended up parking the car and now I've come back to it several hours later and it's turning on finally.

How long should it take to reboot the MCU? I tried the scrollwheels reboot and 10 minutes later it's still not back on. I'm wondering if this is an indication of eMMC starting to fail.

Interestingly enough, you can hear the system trying again and again as the HVAC system turns on for a bit for each cycle. I can also see the notification "Autopilot features unavailable" appearing, then it'd go away and autopilot works, repeat.

I ended up parking the car and now I've come back to it several hours later and it's turning on finally.

I must reboot my MCU1 before every drive when the car has been resting. Otherwise, no 3G and other mentioned issues. For me, it takes between 4 to 5 minutes. I also reboot my IC at the same time. Interesting that the IC after the reboot flickers quite a bit while the MCU is trying to reboot.

It should only take about a minute or so... Seems like your emmc is failing.

Reactions: Akikiki
When the EMMC chip is healthy: about 90 seconds before you see the T logo. And another 90 seconds before the UI is loaded. And then another few minutes to load the 3G/LTE connectivity.

10 minutes is definately not a good sign.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

If you are up for some serious reading check out this site. The author is on here frequently. I am not going to post his TMC name. He can reveal himself when he wishes too. This is a read way over my head. But I learned a lot reading his content. And he answered many questions that I posed to him.

So when mine takes between 4 to 5 minutes that should be normal? It definitely used to be much faster than that.
4 to 5 minutes before the T shows or before the UI shows? Either way it is not normal, with a normal/healthy emmc they always boot like clockwork: 90 seconds till T logo, then another 90 seconds till UI shows. 3 Minutes total (besides the activating of 3G/LTE which can take some longer depending on coverage etc). Everything slower could be a sign something is wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
4 to 5 minutes before the T shows or before the UI shows? Either way it is not normal, with a normal/healthy emmc they always boot like clockwork: 90 seconds till T logo, then another 90 seconds till UI shows. 3 Minutes total (besides the activating of 3G/LTE which can take some longer depending on coverage etc). Everything slower could be a sign something is wrong.

Thanks. That's 4 to 5 minutes till the UI shows up.

Was curious, so while supercharging this morning thought I would supply another sample. I have a 64GB Swissbit eMMC; was upgraded over a year ago, and have not had any other issues or repairs on this mcu1.

94 seconds to see T
2 min 47 s to get UI, and wifi was already connected when UI was visible

Looks like Luckylukes info is bang on.

Was curious, so while supercharging this morning thought I would supply another sample. I have a 64GB Swissbit eMMC; was upgraded over a year ago, and have not had any other issues or repairs on this mcu1.

94 seconds to see T
2 min 47 s to get UI, and wifi was already connected when UI was visible

Looks like Luckylukes info is bang on.

Aren't the numbers worse if the car is rebooted right after a long rest, for example the overnight sleep?

Interesting experience just now with SC...I’ve been nagging them to replace my chip (2015) before I do a road trip next month but my screen has only gone blank once (and rebooted itself automatically) so they have refused. However, they just told me that they checked my chip remotely and it’s working fine. They said “Tesla has begun proactively reaching out to customers whose memory cards are showing wear for proactive replacement.” Has anyone else heard this?

...Has anyone else heard this?
Yeah. The new software reports when the eMMC is failing for at least some of the chips Tesla used. I heard there were three chip types. The message appears on your display if you have the lucky version. For the rest though, you never get the message and just have to wait for MCU1 to die. I have had dozens of crashes (and did an FPGA reflash that I would not recommend) and now have removed my USB drive at their their request which stopped the crashes, but of course now I have no no USB music or sentry/dashcam recording.

Last edited:
Actually there are ways to find the wear level, even in the case of the unreliable Hynix chip. But some people mentioned here the wear is not the whole store, as the memory controller can be damaged and render the chip unreadable.

My chip is an example: it shows 50% life remaining (1480 cycles out of rated 3000), but it's dying pretty bad. When I asked Tesla about it, they told me that it was fine, and the last trip I did I lost nav in the middle of the road. Couldn't recover it until 20m later after two reboots.

• Informative
When I complained about black screen and reboots a few weeks ago they did a remote diagnosis with the following result:
Performed autodiag on MCU. Daughterboard should be replaced proactively.
Never had any warnings in the car.
Tegra board was replaced with the 64 GB version 3 weeks ago and have had no issues since.

Aren't the numbers worse if the car is rebooted right after a long rest, for example the overnight sleep?

Apparently not: did it first thing this morning, car untouched for 11 hours, no charger/wall connector attached.
I do have "always connected" enabled though, not sure what the difference that makes these days.

88 seconds to see T
2 min 44 seconds for UI to appear, once again wifi was already enabled when touchscreen came to life

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
So I asked for service from Tesla and they told me it's normal for reboots to take 10 minutes. I don't even know how to respond. It often takes even longer so I'm going to time it.

[edit]This time it took 21 minutes for the T to even display on the screen.

Last edited:
So I asked for service from Tesla and they told me it's normal for reboots to take 10 minutes. I don't even know how to respond. It often takes even longer so I'm going to time it.

[edit]This time it took 21 minutes for the T to even display on the screen.
10 minutes normal...that sounds ridiculous. I'm throwing the BS flag on them. Maybe common but not normal. My MCU1 was taking over 3 1/2 minutes to boot to the Tesla T before I upgraded to MCU2.