Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. The new software reports when the eMMC is failing for at least some of the chips Tesla used. I heard there were three chip types. The message appears on your display if you have the lucky version. For the rest though, you never get the message and just have to wait for MCU1 to die. I have had dozens of crashes (and did an FPGA reflash that I would not recommend) and now have removed my USB drive at their their request which stopped the crashes, but of course now I have no no USB music or sentry/dashcam recording.
From Tesa's service bulletin I found these parts; looks like 3, but I thought they were all Hynix parts?

2. Log in to Garage, provide the VIN, click VITALS > UI, scroll down to eMMC Vitals, and record the values to the right of Name and Reserved Blocks.  If the name is not “H8G2d”, “Hynix” or “S0J58x”, continue to “Vehicle Ineligible”.  If the name is either “H8G2d”, “Hynix” or “S0J58x”, continue to the next step. SB-20-21-002 Page 2 of 3 _ 3. If the eMMC name is “H8G2d”, determine if the filesystem malfunctioned due to wear. TIP: Refer to Toolbox article #53486 for diagnostic assistance.  If alerts “MCU_w088_eMMCNeedsReplacement” or “MCU_w086_eMMCEOL” are actively asserted, recently asserted, or present in vehicle logs, continue to “Provide Rectification”.  If alert “MCU_w031_cidSquashfsError” is actively asserted, recently asserted, or present in vehicle logs, AND there are fewer than 65 reserve blocks remaining, continue to “Provide Rectification”.  If neither of the above is true, the eMMC filesystem has not malfunctioned due to wear, continue to “Vehicle Ineligible”. 4. If the eMMC name is “Hynix”, determine if the filesystem malfunctioned. TIP: Refer to Toolbox article #53486 for diagnostic assistance.  If alert “MCU_w031_cidSquashfsError” is actively asserted, recently asserted, or present in vehicle logs, continue to “Provide Rectification”.  If alert “MCU_w031_cidSquashfsError” is not present, the eMMC filesystem has not malfunctioned, continue to “Vehicle Ineligible”. 5. If the eMMC name is “S0J58x”, determine if the filesystem malfunctioned due to wear.  If alerts “MCU_w088_eMMCNeedsReplacement” or “MCU_w086_eMMCEOL” are actively asserted, recently asserted, or present in vehicle logs, continue to “Provide Rectification”  If neither alert is present, the eMMC filesystem has not malfunctioned due to wear, continue to “Vehicle Ineligible”.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10186276-9999.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
From Tesa's service bulletin I found these parts; looks like 3, but I thought they were all Hynix parts?

2. Log in to Garage, provide the VIN, click VITALS > UI, scroll down to eMMC Vitals, and record the values to the right of Name and Reserved Blocks.  If the name is not “H8G2d”, “Hynix” or “S0J58x”, continue to “Vehicle Ineligible”.  If the name is either “H8G2d”, “Hynix” or “S0J58x”, continue to the next step. SB-20-21-002 Page 2 of 3 _ 3. If the eMMC name is “H8G2d”, determine if the filesystem malfunctioned due to wear. TIP: Refer to Toolbox article #53486 for diagnostic assistance.  If alerts “MCU_w088_eMMCNeedsReplacement” or “MCU_w086_eMMCEOL” are actively asserted, recently asserted, or present in vehicle logs, continue to “Provide Rectification”.  If alert “MCU_w031_cidSquashfsError” is actively asserted, recently asserted, or present in vehicle logs, AND there are fewer than 65 reserve blocks remaining, continue to “Provide Rectification”.  If neither of the above is true, the eMMC filesystem has not malfunctioned due to wear, continue to “Vehicle Ineligible”. 4. If the eMMC name is “Hynix”, determine if the filesystem malfunctioned. TIP: Refer to Toolbox article #53486 for diagnostic assistance.  If alert “MCU_w031_cidSquashfsError” is actively asserted, recently asserted, or present in vehicle logs, continue to “Provide Rectification”.  If alert “MCU_w031_cidSquashfsError” is not present, the eMMC filesystem has not malfunctioned, continue to “Vehicle Ineligible”. 5. If the eMMC name is “S0J58x”, determine if the filesystem malfunctioned due to wear.  If alerts “MCU_w088_eMMCNeedsReplacement” or “MCU_w086_eMMCEOL” are actively asserted, recently asserted, or present in vehicle logs, continue to “Provide Rectification”  If neither alert is present, the eMMC filesystem has not malfunctioned due to wear, continue to “Vehicle Ineligible”.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10186276-9999.pdf
This is very useful, but after the recall conditions have changed. It would be nice to know the criteria for reimbursement eligibility (if you changed eMMC vendor, are you eligible?).

Has anyone received reimbursement yet? I’d like to get my $2800 back for their defect.

Yeah, Tesla told me to pound sand today. I got the MCU2 partly because the repair option was backlogged weeks and the car wasn't safely drivable.

This notice is to inform you that, after reviewing your request for reimbursement under Tesla’s General Recall Reimbursement Plan for the 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit, Tesla has determined that your request is ineligible for reimbursement because repair was not for condition described in Recall.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I had my eMMC replaced on my 2013. Ever since, my car doesn’t totally respond to the app. I can change climate, media, and the sunroof via the app, but cannot unlock the doors or open either trunk.

The app will show it was done, but the car actually won’t do it. About 20 sec later, the app updates to show the doors are still locked or the frunk/trunk is still closed.

This behavior has persisted over multiple MCU and IC reboots. Anyone have any suggestions before I reach out to service?

I had my eMMC replaced on my 2013. Ever since, my car doesn’t totally respond to the app. I can change climate, media, and the sunroof via the app, but cannot unlock the doors or open either trunk.

The app will show it was done, but the car actually won’t do it. About 20 sec later, the app updates to show the doors are still locked or the frunk/trunk is still closed.

This behavior has persisted over multiple MCU and IC reboots. Anyone have any suggestions before I reach out to service?
Service can fix this over the air if I recall correctly. It’s some sort of security key they failed to update.

Reactions: Cyclone and Akikiki
Service can fix this over the air if I recall correctly. It’s some sort of security key they failed to update.
Yes. Same thing happened to me with my first MCU1 replacement. OTA fix is possible. I tried checking everything before I left the service center but that one was missed by me. You’d think Tesla service would have a checklist to catch things like this ...

I got the radar bracket replaced and that fixed the auto pilot and cruise control problem. They cleared some memory to see if that would help the Waze app from stopping every ten minutes or so. That seamed to help for the first day but now it's back to stopping again. Has anybody here had that much trouble getting waze to work for hours on end? I never had that issue with my MCU1.

Yes. Same thing happened to me with my first MCU1 replacement. OTA fix is possible. I tried checking everything before I left the service center but that one was missed by me. You’d think Tesla service would have a checklist to catch things like this ...
I am happy to report that the service center indeed fixed it over the air for me. Thank you everyone for your advice! That was far simpler than I thought it would be.

Reactions: brkaus
Anyone who submitted our invoice and got denied. Appeal your denial, restate all the info from your invoice, and let them know we tested your chip for failure, Then repaired your board with a new chip. We are working with Tesla to help them approve all our eMMC repairs.
I got denied a second time (this morning was the second one). Do you have the exact verbiage I should be using?

Cheers

Im having an issue where my door handles stopped presenting when I approached the vehicle. Its been this way for a few months now, and Ive tried all the settings/reboots/2032 button cell swap/etc one can do for this. Anyway, after months of just dealing with it, I decided to schedule an appointment.

They did a remote diagnosis of my car, and told me that they noted the eMMC in my system had been replaced with an aftermarket component and the configurations modified from factory settings. They claim there were no logs available since the beginning of this year (I had Tony repair my board last summer) and would need to restore the vehicle to factory specs and replace the eMMC unit in order to move forward.

They initially were trying to then sell me on a MCU2 upgrade along with the eMMC replacement to possibly fix the issue with the door handles. Ive already been denied the recall reimbursement like so many others on here, and this just sort of added insult to injury to possibly have to pay for the repair twice.

They finally agreed to do the daughterboard replacement under the recall and restore the car to "factory specs" if I paid a $100 core charge as the original chip is missing. Anybody else having similar issues when requesting service? It feels stupid to replace a good working chip with a Tesla one just because they consider Tony's chip to be "aftermarket"

• Informative
Cmon. They are offering to restore you from ‘unwarranted’ to ‘warranted’ for $100? Get off the forum and just take it. You did aftermarket because it saved you $ but you knew it broke the warranty.
I wasn't under warranty in either situation, so no warranty to break. Sure I wanted to save money, but I didn't think it would make my car unrepairable. Im pretty sure that taking the offer will make any future attempts at my eMMC 3rd party reimbursement null and void, thats whats frustrating.