Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know since the new MCU2 upgrade is $1,500 and if my daughterboard needs to be replaced on my original MCU1 would they just cut me a deal if I request to have the MCU2 upgrade? I.E if they are saying that it costs $420 for the eMMC daughterboard recall would they take that off of the top of the MCU2 upgrade?
In a word, no.

You could ask, by all means, but reading the stories of so many on here would lead you to conclude it's a waste of time even asking.

Reactions: dark cloud
Does anyone know since the new MCU2 upgrade is $1,500 and if my daughterboard needs to be replaced on my original MCU1 would they just cut me a deal if I request to have the MCU2 upgrade? I.E if they are saying that it costs $420 for the eMMC daughterboard recall would they take that off of the top of the MCU2 upgrade?
Logically one would tend to argue this point.

At the onset I wasn't sure if Tesla was requesting warranty repairing the already repaired third party eMMC's, since I received the "our records show that you need your eMMC replaced" letter/email. Therefore, I asked my SC this exact question you are posing and they said no: no additional discount. Surprisingly they seem satisfied having the third party eMMC's remain in the car and actually are reimbursing the repair costs. It doesn't hurt to try, but I don't recall reading of anyone getting it for less than $1500 US.

Also, since Tesla has already reduced the MCU2 upgrade price by $500 from what it was before, they would argue the discount is already applied.

There are many owners who paid in excess of $2500 for another MCU1, with the same crappy 8 GB eMMC, so consider yourself fortunate it lasted this long. ;)

Reactions: scottf200
No - they won’t. The cost of changing the whole MCU isn’t offset by a component of the old one.

I apologize in advance for asking rather than reading 91 pages of forum entries - but here goes:

In October, 2020 by console died - black screen, unbootable, no radio, no heat, etc. I scheduled an appointment and brought the car in to the Palo alto service center. They diagnosed the problem as the dead memory but gave me only two options: replace the console with an identical (old style) at approx $1500 (verbal, I don't recall the exact amount) or upgrade at $2500. unfortunately, the old style wasn't available in the US at the time - in other words, no option but the upgrade. I was told I'd lose AM radio, but not FM as well. Given that I had no choice, I went ahead. The bill came to $2920 (copy attached). The invoice says:

Concern: Touchscreen - customer states: Main screen blank, even after all reboot attempts (including full restart with buttons and brake). Customer requested diagnosis and advised of needs. Verified customer concern is service. Performed diagnostic inspection as requested. Found non serviceable internal MCU fault. Recommend MCU replacement

Shortly thereafter I heard about the recall, and have been attempting to contact them ever since, with no response. I finally received and email today; they're offering $320. Given that I was offered no option BUT the full MCU upgrade, it seems that the reimbursement offer is lame.

I purchased my first Tesla in early 2013 - this is my second. As a very loyal Tesla owner I'm pretty disappointed in this interaction.

Has anyone else found themselves in this situation? What is the appeal process, if any?
Same situation. Displeased with the $320 when only option was the $2500 upgrade because even the $1500 chipset wasn't available. $320 doesn't feel like they're making anything right. Wondered what others were doing with this offer before I just cash the check and move on.

Hi,

I have a '14 P85D. What's a typical ETA for getting the eMMC replaced?

My Service Center claims that my car is not showing the alert, but my car keeps showing the symptoms (no sound, network gone, GPS gone, super slow) and it needs to be rebooted constantly. Why wouldn't that trigger an alert in the logs?

I suspect their assessment put my car at the end of the queue. This has been going on for months now. I don't have any communication from Tesla indicating any timeline. Does anybody know?

Hi,

My Service Center claims that my car is not showing the alert, but my car keeps showing the symptoms (no sound, network gone, GPS gone, super slow) and it needs to be rebooted constantly. Why wouldn't that trigger an alert in the logs?

I suspect their assessment put my car at the end of the queue. This has been going on for months now. I don't have any communication from Tesla indicating any timeline. Does anybody know?

I had my car in for the GPS issue twice before they signed me up for eMMC replacement. As much as I hate to say it, the quickest way to the top of the list may be to nag them into doing it by repeated service appointments. The actual replacement process took 2 hours.

IIRC you can drive the car without the MCU, so it shouldn't limit your mobility if your plan is to send it out to be fixed by a 3rd party vendor

As aggmeister201 mentioned already, you can drive the car without the MCU... However to insure you can always start the car and also change while you are having eMMC issues, you should also do these two things:
1. Turn off scheduled charging. We don't know why, but if eMMC fails, nearly all charging is usually blocked/disabled. Sometimes people can still supercharger.
2. Remove/disable PIN to drive. Because if the screen is black/blank, you can see to enter PIN. At least until MCU1/eMMC is resolved.

Hi,

OMG! I am having the same problem right now! They are telling me it isn't failing, but the main partition continuously is full. I have had this problem persisting since January and the only thing that helps is rebooting it over and over again.

I've seen a lot of reports of failed/failing eMMC. Not once before the post above, have I seen someone say "the main partition continuously is full". BTW, there's two larger partitions than the other two. I wonder how to tell the main partition is continuously full?

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of reports of failed/failing eMMC. Not once before the post above, have I seen someone say "the main partition continuously is full". BTW, there's two larger partitions than the other two. I wonder how to tell the main partition is continuously full?
I re-looked into what the exact verbiage was used, "I looked into your concern and your home partition is full again which is causing the issues." <----- They said for me to bring my car in they are going to charge me 1 hour of diagnostic time and this is the older 8GB eMMC.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki
My pre autopilot 2014S needs an LTE upgrade and qualifies for the eMMC repair. Should I replace just the eMMC or do the full replacement? My screen has little bubble as well, so I think I should just get the new MCU at this point.

Same situation. Displeased with the $320 when only option was the $2500 upgrade because even the $1500 chipset wasn't available. $320 doesn't feel like they're making anything right. Wondered what others were doing with this offer before I just cash the check and move on.
Same situation as you good folks... $320 barely covers the $1500 chipset replacement option, and I also upgraded because I did not want the SAME problem in 4-5 years again if I simply did a replacement. We had no other option at the time. Has anyone pursued alternate means to get this amount increased?

With all that I would get the replacement.

That's what I am thinking, but wondering if I there will further price cuts if I wait until right before 3G expiration. I can live with the bubbles and screen is slower but not dead yet. I don't like the option of losing the FM radio or dealing with backup cam issues as reported here and elsewhere with MCU2

That's what I am thinking, but wondering if I there will further price cuts if I wait until right before 3G expiration. I can live with the bubbles and screen is slower but not dead yet. I don't like the option of losing the FM radio or dealing with backup cam issues as reported here and elsewhere with MCU2
I am holding off too but really I have no issues at all yet. The car is not going to be driven much in the next 6 months either so I think I can wait it out a bit for sure. Right now I am trending to just let it fail and take the repair via warranty, but if my displays start to bubble that is going to put it in another perspective.

Hello!
My 2016 MS 90 was showing signs of MCU1 degradation (slow start/random shut downs...just general bugginess)... I spoke to Tesla and was thoroughly disappointed; they basically said "have you received the letter yet? no, well pay us $1500 for MCU2"
Was on the fence... read the many pros/cons of MCU2 but ultimately chose not to upgrade. I'm fairly technically inclined so I pulled the MCU/Pulled the Tegra but did not want to risk anything. I looked around for a good resource and ultimately fell upon this lot: San Diego | Luxe Electrical Inc | Auto Repair | Auto Mechanic | Repair
I sent my board, the chip was removed upgraded and data migrated...confirmed on an MCU there and sent me updates along the way...it took 4 days and I got the board back and put everything together and bam! All was good and rosy again...I was immensely grateful so definitely would like to give a plug to them here...they are pretty damn good and were a fraction of the cost.

Should I cancel the 2 year extended warranty we bought yesterday and get the upgrade instead?
Does it come with a new screen? Ours has the yellow border.
The warranty is 2600.00 for 2 years with a 200.00 deductible for each visit.
The MCU has been flaky, strange graphics displacement on screen, black screen, radio not tuning, loss of HVAC until a reboot, etc.
With an upgrade, I don't see much left on the car to worry about.
For 1500.00 making it like a new car seems well worth it instead.
Oh, any chance of a hardware upgrade, new cameras, etc?
This is model S 2017 facelift before the August 2017 improvements. Bought in April 2017. 34K miles over 4 years.

Thanks

Should I cancel the 2 year extended warranty we bought yesterday and get the upgrade instead?
Does it come with a new screen? Ours has the yellow border.
The warranty is 2600.00 for 2 years with a 200.00 deductible for each visit.
The MCU has been flaky, strange graphics displacement on screen, black screen, radio not tuning, loss of HVAC until a reboot, etc.
With an upgrade, I don't see much left on the car to worry about.
For 1500.00 making it like a new car seems well worth it instead.
Oh, any chance of a hardware upgrade, new cameras, etc?
This is model S 2017 facelift before the August 2017 improvements. Bought in April 2017. 34K miles over 4 years.

Thanks

I'm in the same boat... June 2017 with 45,000 miles. Just purchased a month ago. Wondering if I should get the extended warranty or just go witht he MCU2. Problem is I haven't had it long enough to know if the warranty with the deductible is worth it.

@jh15, The MCU2 upgrade does make the car feel/behave like a brand new car.

Not it does not include new cameras. The only two that will make a worthwhile/noticeable difference are the two side repeater cams. You can buy them from Tesla for about $125 each and install them yourself. There's several videos to walk you through it. Or, you can ask Tesla to swap them out while your car is in for the MCU2. Someone else here asked and Tesla replaced them at owner's request/cost. The two camera upgrades are worth it. I was one of the first to do that.

Reactions: jh15