Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jh15, The MCU2 upgrade does make the car feel/behave like a brand new car.

Not it does not include new cameras. The only two that will make a worthwhile/noticeable difference are the two side repeater cams. You can buy them from Tesla for about $125 each and install them yourself. There's several videos to walk you through it. Or, you can ask Tesla to swap them out while your car is in for the MCU2. Someone else here asked and Tesla replaced them at owner's request/cost. The two camera upgrades are worth it. I was one of the first to do that.
Can you provide the links... thanks

Sure.
When I did mine, I simply swapped the first and tried it. Worked without incident. Then did the other, and it worked too. But a couple of people PM'd me that theirs didn't work, and they went back to the old ones. Thankfully, like I did, they didn't snap them into the fender until they knew they worked, so getting them off, was easy and going back to the old ones. Then they reached out to me.
I got the idea from @kdday (bless you & thank you) to suggest to them that they wait and try again. But wait until they had an OTA update ready to install before putting them both back on. There's a minor deployment routine that occurs during an OTA install. So, timing the hardware install just before the OTA update's install ran the deployment routine and the car found the new hardware. (Other than the SC's, we mere mortals can't instigate the deployment routine ourselves.) Of course if you pay/ask the SC to install them, they can run any necessary deployment step to allow the car to recognize them. I say again, worked for me, but maybe I was lucky. I encourage those DIYer's to wait until you have an OTA waiting to swap your cameras.

Don't forget to use some tape around the light before you start working it off. Its not worth the risk of chipping paint right at those openings. And careful slip the painter's tape behind the light and let it go down behind the light's lip so its not simply even with the light. And I would not remove the tape until after the new light it popped back in and seated. Of course its harder to get the tape off, but safer for the paint.

In case you missed the posts before, here's links to the videos I did between the old 2.0 camera and the 2.5/3.0 cameras after my swap. There's a few more videos on my channel if you search for them.
MCU2 - with AP2.0 repeater camera
MCU2 - with AP2.5/3.0 repeater camera

Last edited:
@jh15, The MCU2 upgrade does make the car feel/behave like a brand new car.

Not it does not include new cameras. The only two that will make a worthwhile/noticeable difference are the two side repeater cams. You can buy them from Tesla for about $125 each and install them yourself. There's several videos to walk you through it. Or, you can ask Tesla to swap them out while your car is in for the MCU2. Someone else here asked and Tesla replaced them at owner's request/cost. The two camera upgrades are worth it. I was one of the first to do that.
Thanks, my main concern is with the upgrade, will I be able to use the cameras and record security events? Now i just have fake screen showing security is recording.
Gads, I hate copyright, I miss HAL.

I take from your use of "upgrade" that you mean MCU2 will make the difference? If so, the answer is YES, Big old Yes. It does great. I too had poor Sentry/Teslacam. All those issues go away.
So if I get mcu2 and 2 new cameras, I will be having the latest in hardware too, or am I missing some other hardware to bring the motorized skateboard up to date?

Yes. No. You could also replace the three camera unit at the top of the windshield. It might help AP a little, but you won't see benefits from it via Teslacam or Sentry. Several people have said the B Pillar side cameras are better too on AP 3.0 cars, but you and I don't see any image from front or B Pillar, so I would not bother with them.

I just wanted to throw my story out.

March 5: Filled out the form for the eMMC refund and received a confirmation email.
March 15: Received a denial email, saying my repair was not part of the recall. I immediately responded with copies of my invoice and correspondence, and explained that my car exhibited all the symptoms - weird looking text, failing systems, and eventually a full MCU failure.
March 21: Followed up with no response
May 6: Received an email saying that after further review of the content and documentation provided, that I am actually eligible for a reimbursement of $1,563.25. They said they would follow up within the mandated 60 day timeline.

Now I'm just waiting for the followup/check.

I just wanted to throw my story out.

March 5: Filled out the form for the eMMC refund and received a confirmation email.
March 15: Received a denial email, saying my repair was not part of the recall. I immediately responded with copies of my invoice and correspondence, and explained that my car exhibited all the symptoms - weird looking text, failing systems, and eventually a full MCU failure.
March 21: Followed up with no response
May 6: Received an email saying that after further review of the content and documentation provided, that I am actually eligible for a reimbursement of $1,563.25. They said they would follow up within the mandated 60 day timeline.

Now I'm just waiting for the followup/check.
Nice, i got an email from Tesla on Monday saying I'll be getting my $590 from having EV-fixme do my daughterboard repair in 3-6 weeks, and i got the check yesterday.

Has anyone gotten a message on the instrument cluster saying, "Center Display unavailable. Driver and user settings could not be restored." This happened to me one morning when I started my car. The center screen took a while to boot up but it did after a few minutes and I was able to drive the car. The message remained for a day but then disappeared. I had my eMMC replaced a couple of months ago.

For Europeans, it looks like answers to the recall and reimbursement are starting, at least in the Netherlands and Belgium.
In my case, which is about a replaced mcu1 in 2019, the recall form mentioned I had nothing to reclaim. Then like others suggested I filled it in as if a third party repair, and attached my Tesla SeC invoice. Friday night got a mail confirming my request was electable for refund and it would happen in the coming weeks. It had actually happened immediately. Full refund. Very happy with this indeed.

Has anyone gotten a message on the instrument cluster saying, "Center Display unavailable. Driver and user settings could not be restored." This happened to me one morning when I started my car. The center screen took a while to boot up but it did after a few minutes and I was able to drive the car. The message remained for a day but then disappeared. I had my eMMC replaced a couple of months ago.
Yes. Same issue. If you get a resolution plz pm me and I’ll do likewise. I’m off warrant, so don’t want to waste $ on diagnosis labor… may spring for $1500 MCU2 if it persists. I’ve found setting display to “always connected” seems to stave it off. But wastes kWh so would prefer not to.

My eMMC was replaced several weeks ago under recall. "Center Display unavailable" appeared this past weekend. Same time the car fell off the Tesla app. Error message read as if to say Tesla was doing server maintenance. On Monday inside the care the MCU was black. Reboot of both displays got the MCU working but instrument display still says it can not find the center display.

Have had an appointment for June 29 for several weeks because firmware download is stuck and car is not sleeping. Burning 7-8 "miles" of range per day doing nothing. Ironically it is stuck downloading the same firmware version it says the SC installed with the eMMC.

Tesla apparently does not read the service problem report until a day or two before the appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
My eMMC was replaced several weeks ago under recall. "Center Display unavailable" appeared this past weekend. Same time the car fell off the Tesla app. Error message read as if to say Tesla was doing server maintenance. On Monday inside the care the MCU was black. Reboot of both displays got the MCU working but instrument display still says it can not find the center display.

Have had an appointment for June 29 for several weeks because firmware download is stuck and car is not sleeping. Burning 7-8 "miles" of range per day doing nothing. Ironically it is stuck downloading the same firmware version it says the SC installed with the eMMC.

Tesla apparently does not read the service problem report until a day or two before the appointment.
Damm. Not good

Damm. Not good
Update: Appended to my pre-existing service appointment for stuck download of 2020.48.37.2 while the car says it has same already installed, "Center Display not available" last night and finally after 2 weeks a robot read the message and queued a "new" firmware said to resolve the issue. Has same version number. I didn't record the CRC of previous to know if it really changed or possibly now it has fixed a botched install.

The stuck download is now cleared.

My instrument panel now talks to the MMU/Center Display. And my parking sensors have resumed functioning. And I'm thinking it is time to sell this 7.5 year old car.

‘’Here you go… we replaced that Poorly designed shitty part, with another one just like it’’

instead of fixing the issue, they kicked the can down the road hoping you sell your car before it fails again.
I say I probably have MCU-zero because my car predates all autopilot features. Not even adaptive cruise control was available. Tesla added folding mirrors as an option after placing my order, was able to get it added before the car was built. I have the Mercedes-Benz style steering column with turn signal lever very low on the left hidden by the steering wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I say I probably have MCU-zero because my car predates all autopilot features. Not even adaptive cruise control was available. Tesla added folding mirrors as an option after placing my order, was able to get it added before the car was built. I have the Mercedes-Benz style steering column with turn signal lever very low on the left hidden by the steering wheel.
Nah. I’m in your group and I have the “center display not available issue”. Good to know software fixes it.

I applied for the refund after replacing my eMMC MCU with the upgraded version. It should be noted that when I went to the San Rafael service center to have the replacement repair done I was only offered a replacement of an MCU1 (same as the original that came with my 2014 Model S P85.) I choose to go with the upgraded MCU2 because why would I go with the original and have the same thing happen again? I spent $2,725.00 for the MCU2 upgrade/replacement. Anyway, after applying for the refund I received a check for $320.00 with an explanation as follows: "Teslas reimbursement process is only for the eMMC recall, not for the overall cost for the infotainment upgrade. The eMMC is a small component within the MCU, the recall/reimbursement is only for that one specific part. Upon review you were eligible for reimbursement of the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade." This came from Austin D / Tesla 8GB eMMc Recall Reimbursement Review. It should be noted that what he cites as 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of the upgrade was NEVER offered as an option by the San Rafael Service Center. I was given two options and two options only; Replace the eMMC with a type 1 or the upgraded type 2. Now I can see refunding only the Type 1 cost (quoted as being $1,200-ish) but giving me $320.00 is an insult and not, in my opinion, in the spirit of what the NTHSA and Tesla agreed to. Could someone please clarify WTF is going on? It should also be noted that I emailed Austin D back several times with no response. Great customer service!

• Informative
Reactions: sdoorex