Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I applied for the refund after replacing my eMMC MCU with the upgraded version. It should be noted that when I went to the San Rafael service center to have the replacement repair done I was only offered a replacement of an MCU1 (same as the original that came with my 2014 Model S P85.) I choose to go with the upgraded MCU2 because why would I go with the original and have the same thing happen again? I spent $2,725.00 for the MCU2 upgrade/replacement. Anyway, after applying for the refund I received a check for $320.00 with an explanation as follows: "Teslas reimbursement process is only for the eMMC recall, not for the overall cost for the infotainment upgrade. The eMMC is a small component within the MCU, the recall/reimbursement is only for that one specific part. Upon review you were eligible for reimbursement of the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade." This came from Austin D / Tesla 8GB eMMc Recall Reimbursement Review. It should be noted that what he cites as 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of the upgrade was NEVER offered as an option by the San Rafael Service Center. I was given two options and two options only; Replace the eMMC with a type 1 or the upgraded type 2. Now I can see refunding only the Type 1 cost (quoted as being $1,200-ish) but giving me $320.00 is an insult and not, in my opinion, in the spirit of what the NTHSA and Tesla agreed to. Could someone please clarify WTF is going on? It should also be noted that I emailed Austin D back several times with no response. Great customer service!
I'd be peeved with that, too.

I applied for the refund after replacing my eMMC MCU with the upgraded version. It should be noted that when I went to the San Rafael service center to have the replacement repair done I was only offered a replacement of an MCU1 (same as the original that came with my 2014 Model S P85.) I choose to go with the upgraded MCU2 because why would I go with the original and have the same thing happen again? I spent $2,725.00 for the MCU2 upgrade/replacement. Anyway, after applying for the refund I received a check for $320.00 with an explanation as follows: "Teslas reimbursement process is only for the eMMC recall, not for the overall cost for the infotainment upgrade. The eMMC is a small component within the MCU, the recall/reimbursement is only for that one specific part. Upon review you were eligible for reimbursement of the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade." This came from Austin D / Tesla 8GB eMMc Recall Reimbursement Review. It should be noted that what he cites as 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of the upgrade was NEVER offered as an option by the San Rafael Service Center. I was given two options and two options only; Replace the eMMC with a type 1 or the upgraded type 2. Now I can see refunding only the Type 1 cost (quoted as being $1,200-ish) but giving me $320.00 is an insult and not, in my opinion, in the spirit of what the NTHSA and Tesla agreed to. Could someone please clarify WTF is going on? It should also be noted that I emailed Austin D back several times with no response. Great customer service!
At least you got something. Plenty of people who fixed their emmc's, myself included, were denied any compensation, even though at the time Tesla wanted over two grand to fix it. Welcome to Tesla.

What was the cost breakout of the line item detail on your invoice... $2,725 sounds a bit high for the MCU2 upgrade.

Has anyone gotten a message on the instrument cluster saying, "Center Display unavailable. Driver and user settings could not be restored." This happened to me one morning when I started my car. The center screen took a while to boot up but it did after a few minutes and I was able to drive the car. The message remained for a day but then disappeared. I had my eMMC replaced a couple of months ago.

This does seem to happen some times. We've seen that mcu continues to work normally while showing the error. There may be some specific firmware that shows shows this error while MCU works fine. We have not had a chance to trace this down but it seems to be a incorrect warning message. Your case may be an issue as MCU was off?

"Has anyone gotten a message on the instrument cluster saying, "Center Display unavailable. Driver and user settings could not be restored." This happened to me one morning when I started my car. The center screen took a while to boot up but it did after a few minutes and I was able to drive the car. The message remained for a day but then disappeared. I had my eMMC replaced a couple of months ago."

This happened to me once post emmc repair. I did a few reboots, both screens ON, but communication between the two continued "Center Display Unavailable" message. "Power Off" had no effect either(my car doesn't seem to power all the way off? But that's something else). Ended up pulling the fuses for the MCU1 and the IC, waited a bit and reinsert fuses. Been fine since... All the previous setting were still there.
Kaveman

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv
I have gotten that message several times now with the eMMC/CPU daughter board replaced last year with a 64MB one by Tesla. The MCU comes back after a reboot but the message stays. Interestingly it disappears by itself overnight. Sometimes it is the IC that does not turn on for quite a while. That was also replaced in 2017 IIRC. I have the display energy savings to on and always connected disabled.
IMG_9947.jpg

That IC delay on waking up event has been there now quite a long, it was introduced almost a year ago... I have the same settings (display energy savings on and always connected disabled) but still running original eMMC. Not yet seen this “Center display unavailable”. Funny to see this message has typo, my spelling corrector can’t tolerate word “Center”

• Helpful
Reactions: aesculus
I have gotten that message several times now with the eMMC/CPU daughter board replaced last year with a 64MB one by Tesla. The MCU comes back after a reboot but the message stays. Interestingly it disappears by itself overnight. Sometimes it is the IC that does not turn on for quite a while. That was also replaced in 2017 IIRC. I have the display energy savings to on and always connected disabled.View attachment 688703
We have also seen this error, Does not matter what eMMC is in the car. Our guess is the error is do to some remaining corrupt data that was migrated, or will trigger when a response is not within the expected limitations.

Reactions: vdiv