Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tldickerson,
Depends on the year of your S. Mine is a 2013. There are 2 fuse boxes under the cover, frunk, front of the windshield. Left box should have fuse #51(20A) for the touchscreen, and #49(5A) for the instrument panel. Do this at your "own risk". The post 2016 cars, the boxes are in a different configuration. I believe this info is in the first page of this thread as well.
Kaveman

Just curious how many owners of early (not updated) MCUs have had the eMMC recall performed. I received the email in February advising that I'm part of the recall and that I'll be contacted when parts are available for my eMMC/daughterboard upgrade. Haven't heard anything since. Been patiently waiting; haven't contacted Tesla. In fact my MCU seems to be on its best behavior lately, not much flakiness as I've sometimes experienced in nearly 5 years of ownership.

I'm planning to ask for the discounted 4G upgrade when they schedule my eMMC recall work. Just curious how far along they are with performing the recalls and if they're going in any particular order.
I had mine replaced with the 64GB board last week. The original one was acting out, so I put in a service request and they completed the recall. The new board is quicker. Not MCU2 fast, but quicker. I’ve noticed the car starts up quicker, routes directions quicker, and does quicker reroutes if I miss a turn. If I had to gauge it, it went from “annoying and frustrating to use” to “acceptable”.

Reactions: flipb and aesculus
Just curious how many owners of early (not updated) MCUs have had the eMMC recall performed. I received the email in February advising that I'm part of the recall and that I'll be contacted when parts are available for my eMMC/daughterboard upgrade. Haven't heard anything since. Been patiently waiting; haven't contacted Tesla. In fact my MCU seems to be on its best behavior lately, not much flakiness as I've sometimes experienced in nearly 5 years of ownership.

I'm planning to ask for the discounted 4G upgrade when they schedule my eMMC recall work. Just curious how far along they are with performing the recalls and if they're going in any particular order.
Every time I’ve asked Tesla about the recall for our older Tesla, it has consistently been, “We will notify you when the part is available.”
So, not sure how some people are getting theirs replaced.

I had mine replaced with the 64GB board last week. The original one was acting out, so I put in a service request and they completed the recall. The new board is quicker. Not MCU2 fast, but quicker. I’ve noticed the car starts up quicker, routes directions quicker, and does quicker reroutes if I miss a turn. If I had to gauge it, it went from “annoying and frustrating to use” to “acceptable”.
how did u get Tesla to replaced it without the warning Emmc message?

It may be because of the fact that due to the ongoing global chip shortage that available parts are being used on vehicles that have become non-operational or those units that have actually failed as opposed to those who want to try to do it proactively and their MCU is still functioning.
Or it may be Tesla being Tesla doing business as usual, treating their customers poorly.

Or it may be Tesla being Tesla doing business as usual, treating their customers poorly.

No doubt your opinion would change if you had a non-functional vehicle and a dead MCU while your neighbor whose car was still functioning and his screen was still working was getting the repair completed on his vehicle with parts that are in limited supply that could have been used on your car that's not drivable.

And I'm no advocate of Tesla service I've seen it deteriorate over the years. For a mirad of reasons, right hand not knowing what the left is doing, growing faster than they are able to keep up with etc.

But the chip shortage is a thing, I can look around at any new car dealership in my area and there are lots are just about empty.

About a month ago I received a letter in the mail telling me that the parts were available and that I could now schedule an appointment. Made an appointment through the app and had the daughterboard replaced at my local Tesla service center (not eligible for mobile service).

I have experienced an issue following the replacement. When at home, I have my car connect to WiFi. Since the repair, when I drive away from WiFi coverage the car will not make a 3G connection. I haven't scheduled an appointment with Tesla yet to try to fix this issue, first wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

About a month ago I received a letter in the mail telling me that the parts were available and that I could now schedule an appointment. Made an appointment through the app and had the daughterboard replaced at my local Tesla service center (not eligible for mobile service).

I have experienced an issue following the replacement. When at home, I have my car connect to WiFi. Since the repair, when I drive away from WiFi coverage the car will not make a 3G connection. I haven't scheduled an appointment with Tesla yet to try to fix this issue, first wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue.
When I had my MCU2 upgrade installed, the hardware was upgraded to 4G LTE... 3G will be discontinued next year and WiFi remains unchanged.

Last edited:
Every time I’ve asked Tesla about the recall for our older Tesla, it has consistently been, “We will notify you when the part is available.”
So, not sure how some people are getting theirs replaced.
I just got my eMMC upgrade after bringing in my car because of a parking brake issue (turned out to be connector / cable).

At some point in the service texts, I asked if I could get the upgrade since I'm bringing it in, and after 24hrs they said yes. I haven't been getting any warnings on the screen about the eMMC, and reboots have been only about once a month.

But now that they've replaced the eMMC -- wow. Not only is the display and general UI much snappier (except the web browser, which is still pretty much a basket case as everyone knows), but:

a) My USB music works again; it would lose the index ever time the car started before,
b) the car "boots" (the driver's screen, can't remember the shorthand for it) instantly after being parked for a while.

For the last several months, when getting in the car and hitting the brake pedal (after the car had been parked, unplugged, for more than a few minutes) would result in the driver's screen "rebooting" -- showing the Tesla logo, and taking as much as 60s before the full screen appeared. So it was often a 1m wait before the car could be put in gear!

Since the eMMC change I haven't seen this behavior once (it's been about 10 days).

When I asked the SC about the USB music problem, they told me it was the USB stick itself. I tried three different ones to no avail -- sometimes indexing would never finish, other times it would finish and music would be available during that drive, but as soon as the car was turned off (or turned back on) it would lose the index and have to start over. Since the eMMC upgrade I haven't lost the index once -- every time I get in the car, I can immediately select USB Music and play!

Anyway, I feel sorry for all of you that are still waiting for the upgrade -- chances are you're really missing something. Mine's a 2014, don't know if that has anything to do with their change of heart.

I just got my eMMC upgrade after bringing in my car because of a parking brake issue (turned out to be connector / cable).

At some point in the service texts, I asked if I could get the upgrade since I'm bringing it in, and after 24hrs they said yes. I haven't been getting any warnings on the screen about the eMMC, and reboots have been only about once a month.

But now that they've replaced the eMMC -- wow. Not only is the display and general UI much snappier (except the web browser, which is still pretty much a basket case as everyone knows), but:

a) My USB music works again; it would lose the index ever time the car started before,
b) the car "boots" (the driver's screen, can't remember the shorthand for it) instantly after being parked for a while.

For the last several months, when getting in the car and hitting the brake pedal (after the car had been parked, unplugged, for more than a few minutes) would result in the driver's screen "rebooting" -- showing the Tesla logo, and taking as much as 60s before the full screen appeared. So it was often a 1m wait before the car could be put in gear!

Since the eMMC change I haven't seen this behavior once (it's been about 10 days).

When I asked the SC about the USB music problem, they told me it was the USB stick itself. I tried three different ones to no avail -- sometimes indexing would never finish, other times it would finish and music would be available during that drive, but as soon as the car was turned off (or turned back on) it would lose the index and have to start over. Since the eMMC upgrade I haven't lost the index once -- every time I get in the car, I can immediately select USB Music and play!

Anyway, I feel sorry for all of you that are still waiting for the upgrade -- chances are you're really missing something. Mine's a 2014, don't know if that has anything to do with their change of heart.
How long was your car in service? My '14 S has been in there for 4 days for the eMMC and LTE upgrade. They are having issue loading Maps/Navigation on the car according to the latest update.

How long was your car in service? My '14 S has been in there for 4 days for the eMMC and LTE upgrade. They are having issue loading Maps/Navigation on the car according to the latest update.
I got my car back on the 5th day. The screen has been pretty responsive so far and the LTE seems to help streaming as well. I hope the screen wake time is reduced as well. Also, be aware that when they do this repair, any bubbles you have on the screen may get (lot) bigger due to the movement while repairing. My screen went from few small bubbles at the top to a whole line about 1 inch wide.

I got my car back on the 5th day. The screen has been pretty responsive so far and the LTE seems to help streaming as well. I hope the screen wake time is reduced as well. Also, be aware that when they do this repair, any bubbles you have on the screen may get (lot) bigger due to the movement while repairing. My screen went from few small bubbles at the top to a whole line about 1 inch wide.
Do they advise you of this risk in advance?

Did you inquire as to why you have an inch-wide bubble across your screen when you didn't when you brought it in? I know I sure as heck would have.
Yes, I complained about it. They said they lay the screen flat during repair so the liquid shifted. After I escalated the issue, they agreed to split the cost of the new screen with me. The center screen replacement now is around $780

Reactions: rxlawdude