Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have the original eMMC.
Surprising though: Are there still some cars running around with the original chip? I would have thought there would not be any original eMMC's still out there; surely they all would have crashed by now. So maybe this is for next time? Maybe this also applies to eMMC's in the MCU2?

I thought for sure it would show mine as being "unhealthy" as it is not a Tesla installed chip, and when checking recalls I assumed it would be still be nagging me to have them repair it to put in their own, but the only recall I see in the app is for the hood latch.
We still see original chips.

I don't have the original eMMC.
Surprising though: Are there still some cars running around with the original chip? I would have thought there would not be any original eMMC's still out there; surely they all would have crashed by now. So maybe this is for next time? Maybe this also applies to eMMC's in the MCU2?

I thought for sure it would show mine as being "unhealthy" as it is not a Tesla installed chip, and when checking recalls I assumed it would be still be nagging me to have them repair it to put in their own, but the only recall I see in the app is for the hood latch.
My educated guess would be that that their software reports back to the app if there is the original chip (based on chip ID) and if so, the button shows up in the app. Technically only the original chip was recalled. The health status is probably based on chip counters which count usage, ready or write errors, and other stats. Those counters are manufacturer and often chip specific, so if it's not a chip Tesla knows, it cannot run the health check.

As of January 31st Tesla has only performed the recall on ~31% of the impacted vehicles. (There are still ~90k vehicles left for them to replace the eMMC on.)

View attachment 771348

So the majority of vehicles have not had it fail yet.
yeah my '16 MS still has the original eMMC and the app says it's still healthy. I guess that's plausible as I'm not suffering any issues with reboots or anything.

And every time we get even a minor OTA update, its a complete copy of that firmware. Don't mistake what "minor or maintenance update is. Its not just part, is the entire banana each time it downloads and installs. The two firmware partitions alternate between being "current and last version, then current becoming last version with a new install. Two different versions nearly every time, except when an SC forces the same one again, although it goes to the "last version" partition.
Here you are wrong. Tesla is increasingly practicing partial updates - especially when installing firmware sequentially, when the update file contains only differences in firmware, and, accordingly, has a size of 200-300MB

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Here you are wrong. Tesla is increasingly practicing partial updates - especially when installing firmware sequentially, when the update file contains only differences in firmware, and, accordingly, has a size of 200-300MB
I have not been keeping up with latest Tesla practices, but are you saying that Tesla started upgrading in-place, or are they copying from current active partition to inactive and then applying a patch before rebooting to the new partition?

I've been thinking about your post. Show us. There's nothing reported that reflects a change to support what you say. The current OS structure and method of deployment supports a full download of the package and swap between current and new even when its a minor maintenance update/change. And next time your car is ready to installed an update, take note - the time it takes to install is still reported on the screen to be about 45 minutes.

Also, whether you and I agree or disagree on a OTA install change - it does not matter. Things will go on anyway. :)
Best of luck to you, sir.

I've been thinking about your post. Show us. There's nothing reported that reflects a change to support what you say. The current OS structure and method of deployment supports a full download of the package and swap between current and new even when its a minor maintenance update/change. And next time your car is ready to installed an update, take note - the time it takes to install is still reported on the screen to be about 45 minutes.

Also, whether you and I agree or disagree on a OTA install change - it does not matter. Things will go on anyway. :)
Best of luck to you, sir.
When I get a chance, I'll show you. But I note - if you haven’t seen something, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist)
I will study the update logs I have, if anything, I'll post it

For example, here are full dumps of patches with successive updates of MCU2. For comparison - in a separate line, a full update dump from 2021.4.12.2 to 2021.40 - about 2 GB in size

photo1645824097.jpeg

For example, here are full dumps of patches with successive updates of MCU2. For comparison - in a separate line, a full update dump from 2021.4.12.2 to 2021.40 - about 2 GB in size

View attachment 773766
Sorry, unrelated to the thread but curiosity is burning me: If you are really in Russia are you still able to view western websites? Or do you have a "workaround"? I hear Twitter has been brought down due to the "events" happening.

Sorry, unrelated to the thread but curiosity is burning me: If you are really in Russia are you still able to view western websites? Or do you have a "workaround"? I hear Twitter has been brought down due to the "events" happening.
Yes, I am in Moscow. Twitter and other facebooks are extremely uninteresting to me))
Yes, and there are no problems with communication, there is a VPN, in the end, all these blockages are not comparable with a five-meter concrete fence with barbed wire on top and which cannot be climbed over - but rather with a low fence of poles and timber at a meter height, which can be it is easy to either climb over the top, or bend down and slip through from the bottom. ))

Are you sure? How can you patch a partition that is old (has last used version, which could vary)? Or are you saying a patch is not a partition patch or a file patch, but rather just a collection of new files instead of patching the old ones?
Understand that similar firmware versions cannot differ dramatically. And Tesla came up with a beautiful solution as part of the OTA updates - when compiling the update package on the server, take into account the versions and composition of the old and new firmware, thus trying to minimize the amount of data transmitted over the air and, in some cases, significantly reducing the installation time for new software versions

This tactic is clearly shown in the menu Service Mode - Reinstall Software, where there are 2 items - fast reinstall and full reinstall. The principle is almost the same - if in the first case the minimum necessary data package is formed for installation with skipping blocks that do not require updates, then in the second case it will be a full-fledged version of a large volume with a long installation.

Yes, I am in Moscow. Twitter and other facebooks are extremely uninteresting to me))
Yes, and there are no problems with communication, there is a VPN, in the end, all these blockages are not comparable with a five-meter concrete fence with barbed wire on top and which cannot be climbed over - but rather with a low fence of poles and timber at a meter height, which can be it is easy to either climb over the top, or bend down and slip through from the bottom. ))
@Flaminis , regardless of where you are, you are welcome here. Glad to have your input and comments. I will take a guess, but I predict others here agrees that we are pleased to have you here.

Last edited: