Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understand that similar firmware versions cannot differ dramatically. And Tesla came up with a beautiful solution as part of the OTA updates - when compiling the update package on the server, take into account the versions and composition of the old and new firmware, thus trying to minimize the amount of data transmitted over the air and, in some cases, significantly reducing the installation time for new software versions
Except that the car contains old (active) firmware, and older (inactive) firmware, so the only way they can create a patch like you describe is to create a custom update which will match the current active firmware, the last firmware which was on the device before last upgrade, and of course the new firmware to go out. Is that what they are doing?

I can only support what @Flaminis is saying: in most cases Tesla uses smaller patches which are downloaded to the user data partitition (/home/cid-updater), then the data is combined with the data from the current online firmware bank, the result is written to the offline firmware bank, verified and then the update of the ecu's start and in the end the firmware banks are switched.

Thank you @LuckyLuke, for confirming a change to Tesla's method. We know your long history of eMMC repairs, so I believe your statement even more than a confirmation, sir. Thanks for the help. I am surprised to hear of this change. Certainly must reduces data and Tesla's cost with downloads, I guess. Very interesting change. Thank you again.

Last edited:
I can only support what @Flaminis is saying: in most cases Tesla uses smaller patches which are downloaded to the user data partitition (/home/cid-updater), then the data is combined with the data from the current online firmware bank, the result is written to the offline firmware bank, verified and then the update of the ecu's start and in the end the firmware banks are switched.
Thanks. So essentially they copy the online bank to the offline bank but perform the patch "in flight" during the copy rather than a separate patch step after the initial copy?

Except that the car contains old (active) firmware, and older (inactive) firmware, so the only way they can create a patch like you describe is to create a custom update which will match the current active firmware, the last firmware which was on the device before last upgrade, and of course the new firmware to go out. Is that what they are doing?
Yes. By the way, an inactive partition is not necessarily an older version)
If the update fails for some reason, this section may be on a newer version

Yes. By the way, an inactive partition is not necessarily an older version)
If the update fails for some reason, this section may be on a newer version
You are right, the inactive partition could be corrupted (previously failed update for example), which means the OTA software should not count on it having valid content. So it would seem that a diff update must use only active partition and downloaded content to construct new/updated inactive partition.

You are right, the inactive partition could be corrupted (previously failed update for example), which means the OTA software should not count on it having valid content. So it would seem that a diff update must use only active partition and downloaded content to construct new/updated inactive partition.
The problem is, in case of an unsuccessful update, the download of newer versions may completely stop due to the presence of signs of an uninstalled update in the system, there are enough examples. In such cases, there is only one way out - to identify the cause of the failure and update forcibly - on your own or with the help of a dealer. There were also cases when the car literally turned into a brick - in case the update was interrupted at any stage.

We know that scheduled charging can be stopped by an eMMC failure. As you know scheduled charging uses the location to begin charging. We've encouraged people with a marginal or failing or suspiciously behaving eMMC to do two things.
1. Remove scheduled charging for a while. A while could be until eMMC is replaced or the car's behavior improves
2. Disable/remove PIN to Drive, because if the screen goes blank, you are not going to be able to type in the PIN.

• Informative
Reactions: Zeemo and Krash
I just had my 8GB eMMC recall done and now my touchscreen is yellowing (edges) and the instrument panel glue is leaking... coincidence?

2013 Model S

photo_2022-03-08_08-26-48.jpg

photo_2022-03-08_08-26-05.jpg

photo_2022-03-08_08-26-00.jpg

8GB eMMC Recall Frequently Asked Questions

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Maybe we are saying the same thing, but I was told that the IC display would be used just as a screen, and connected to the new MCU2. Disconnecting it from it's prior computing unit.
As far as I know IC1 was lower resolution, and most everyone has reported getting an actual different IC display. (Often with the service center leaving the protective plastic sheet on them.)

As far as I know IC1 was lower resolution, and most everyone has reported getting an actual different IC display. (Often with the service center leaving the protective plastic sheet on them.)
You got me wondering...
You are correct.
I was told one thing, but after checking my service invoice, it lists that both the MCU and IC were replaced.
This included these 2 line items:
"Infotainment Upgreade for Pre-AP, AP! or AP3.0 Vehicles (1582613-00-A)"
"MCU INTEL UPGRADE - For TegraAP1.0-NA (9874564-00-A)"