Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PS - By 'factory reset' are we talking about a soft reset - by pressing both scroll wheels on my 2015 Model S - or a hard reset, which seems to involve disconnecting the 12Volt battey as described by this rather useful blog on the subject
The former, I hope - hard reset sounds rather intimidating for the average owner!

PPS - Just tried another scroll wheel reset - not the first since this problem arrose - and.... lo and behold, my iphone now connects! Haven't tried the Homelink yet, but this is looking more promising. Many thanks for your good advice, TonyT
Homelink works as well now, but that may have been a separate issue - the eMMC replacement caused loss of Homelink in the first place, but failure to add my garage door to the Model S again may havre been an issue to do with training the receiver, now sorted out.

PPS - Just tried another scroll wheel reset - not the first since this problem arrose - and.... lo and behold, my iphone now connects! Haven't tried the Homelink yet, but this is looking more promising. Many thanks for your good advice, TonyT
Correct. I mean the factory reset in the mcu menu where you have to enter your account and password. It will be like a new car and you will have to re-save setting for mirrors and seat, garage etc. Basically setup car again. You can reset while in your driving profile and save it right away to keep one of the profiles.

Let us know if simple resetting with scroll wheels continues to resolve the issues.

Reactions: Greenms60
I finally got my letter about the eMMC recall and so I scheduled service to have it swapped. They just messaged me saying I can pay $2k + tax for the MCU2 upgrade. Am I crazy for not doing it? I feel like that would be $2k wasted in my case. I have a 2013 S60 with no autopilot and they did a warranty MCU replacement a couple of years ago and with it came the LTE upgrade. If memory serves correctly, they just swapped MCU1 for another MCU1 which I assume is why I'm part of the recall program. My driving habits changed a few years ago so now I only spend 10-15mins in my car for each "trip" somewhere and 90% of the time I listen to terrestrial radio. Maybe 2-3x per year do I use a supercharger and rarely would I stay in the car while it is charging to take advantage of the video player. I plan on keeping my car til the wheels fall off (or more likely, the battery goes kaput). I'm currently not having any issues requiring resets although it is occasionally slow to boot up or it doesn't always respond to voice commands.

There are already quite lengthy discussion about this exact situation so you need to find your way. I‘m personally also on a waiting list for a appointment to get the recall done. I have so far had almost glitch free time with the original eMMC, although mine have LTE since manufacturing on 2016. Just with the latest SW update my car is still downloading new map update, not to mention it was installed in the beginning of March. My text to Tesla have ended now to be fixed for the recall list and it might happen in May or June this year.
About the option to upgrade I will personally keep off, as stated it’s been relatively solid so far with mine. Only with two or three radio/Spotify issues and now the map download failure. It’s been dreadful reading about all these stories other have accounted but I also do not see any benefit that this will bring to my everyday commute. I keep listening to the radio, have used Spotify only if kids are on board. To me all the new SW release’s that will follow this upgrade will definitely ruin my present pleasure. I can’t see any benefits that the you-tube or unknown games will bring. I have the same feeling to keep it going for as long as it technically alows.

I finally got my letter about the eMMC recall and so I scheduled service to have it swapped. They just messaged me saying I can pay $2k + tax for the MCU2 upgrade. Am I crazy for not doing it? I feel like that would be $2k wasted in my case. I have a 2013 S60 with no autopilot and they did a warranty MCU replacement a couple of years ago and with it came the LTE upgrade. If memory serves correctly, they just swapped MCU1 for another MCU1 which I assume is why I'm part of the recall program. My driving habits changed a few years ago so now I only spend 10-15mins in my car for each "trip" somewhere and 90% of the time I listen to terrestrial radio. Maybe 2-3x per year do I use a supercharger and rarely would I stay in the car while it is charging to take advantage of the video player. I plan on keeping my car til the wheels fall off (or more likely, the battery goes kaput). I'm currently not having any issues requiring resets although it is occasionally slow to boot up or it doesn't always respond to voice commands.
You are not crazy at all. I will keep holding out as Tesla should really upgrade everyone for free. I do not need to watch movies in my car.

You are not crazy at all. I will keep holding out as Tesla should really upgrade everyone for free. I do not need to watch movies in my car.

Many people upgrade since their MCU1 has issues. Mine still works but it's very sluggish with reboots, navigation routing, etc. On top of that I have no LTE modem upgrade done and my eMMC is still the stock non automobile grade 8GB. I figured I would get a faster CPU, better color rendering, 64GB eMMC (better quality, I'm told) and the LTE, all for $1500+tax, including the labor, and done during one surgery. I find it actually cheap. I do not need it to play games or watch videos.

Never gonna happen. There's absolutely no obligation for Tesla to offer free MCU2 upgrades.
But there is an obligation to get FSD running on MCU1 cars. And it might be cheaper to just upgrade those cars to MCU2 than fork and maintain that code.

I agree Tesla would never upgrade everyone.

They are not obligated to offer a free upgrade to MCU2, unless MCU2 is required for some feature they sold you, such as FSD.

That said, I have MCU1 (with high end emmc replacement) and while it works a little slow loading maps, it does the job just fine. My wife's car cas MCU2, and the infotainment bugs out and resets just as often, though I prefer MCU1 for that since the instrument cluster doesn't go down with the main MCU. I also enjoy the fact that on MCU1 I can do some important things faster, such as turning on front or rear defroster (single click on MCU1, multiple clicks with eyes far off the road on MCU2). So no plans to pay $1500 or $2000 to upgrade to MCU2.

Tesla really should have just kept v8 or even v6 on MCU1 and just provide security patches. Older software worked faster and was more functional. This constant upgrading of old hardware to latest software written for faster and more capable software is one reason I don't want any more Teslas - the MCU ages like an iPhone, you still get the upgrades, but each upgrade makes it slower, and not all features work. MCU2 in a couple of years will be in the same spot as MCU1 is today - MCU3 is out today already, in a couple of years MCU4 will be out and MCU2 will be lacking performance to run software written for MCU4. But of course they will still force you to upgrade, so Elon can claim you have the new feature, even if it works as well as dashcam feature on MCU1 with AP2.

What brand is your "high end" eMMC and what's the difference between yours and the one Tesla installs per the eMMC recall?
Swissbit 32GB pSLC (64GB part factory configured for high reliability 32GB)
Some more data on the part here:

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
They are not obligated to offer a free upgrade to MCU2, unless MCU2 is required for some feature they sold you, such as FSD.

That said, I have MCU1 (with high end emmc replacement) and while it works a little slow loading maps, it does the job just fine. My wife's car cas MCU2, and the infotainment bugs out and resets just as often, though I prefer MCU1 for that since the instrument cluster doesn't go down with the main MCU. I also enjoy the fact that on MCU1 I can do some important things faster, such as turning on front or rear defroster (single click on MCU1, multiple clicks with eyes far off the road on MCU2). So no plans to pay $1500 or $2000 to upgrade to MCU2.

Tesla really should have just kept v8 or even v6 on MCU1 and just provide security patches. Older software worked faster and was more functional. This constant upgrading of old hardware to latest software written for faster and more capable software is one reason I don't want any more Teslas - the MCU ages like an iPhone, you still get the upgrades, but each upgrade makes it slower, and not all features work. MCU2 in a couple of years will be in the same spot as MCU1 is today - MCU3 is out today already, in a couple of years MCU4 will be out and MCU2 will be lacking performance to run software written for MCU4. But of course they will still force you to upgrade, so Elon can claim you have the new feature, even if it works as well as dashcam feature on MCU1 with AP2.

^^^ this nailed it!

This constant upgrading of old hardware to latest software written for faster and more capable software is one reason I don't want any more Teslas - the MCU ages like an iPhone, you still get the upgrades, but each upgrade makes it slower, and not all features work.

MCU1 (yours might be an exception) has already reached the point where all the updates have made it "slower, and not all features work" and that's why the owners opt for the upgrade to MCU2.

Reactions: FlatSix911
MCU1 (yours might be an exception) has already reached the point where all the updates have made it "slower, and not all features work" and that's why the owners opt for the upgrade to MCU2.
I'm running on 2021.24.28 (latest in the stable, non advanced/bleeding edge update stream) and it works fine for navigation and music streaming (and app connectivity to pre-heat/cool, etc). Maps can take a bit to load when adding a new route, but as the car is driving I never see blank tiles. Menus have become less responsive with each update, but still functional. I drive my wife's MCU2 from time to time, and honestly, while I see the difference in responsiveness, it's a non-issue for me. I more notice the acceleration difference and lack of sport+ suspension than the MCU difference.

Your comment made me think about how much would I be willing to pay for MCU2. I started with, what if Tesla offered to do it for free with FM radio. Hmm.... honestly, I'd probably do it just to increase the resale value. Then I thought, how about $100? Probably yes. $200, still yes. $300, ok. $400 - $500, maybe. Above $500, no desire whatsoever. Next year, when my Taycan CT Turbo will finally come to replace the Model S (have been waiting for almost a year now), I will inform the next owner they have the option to pay $1,500 or $2,000 for an updated MCU2 if they so desire (maybe they can get a credit for MCU1 recall since Tesla denied my claim after self-repair of emmc). Me spending the money now would not raise my used car value by the same amount, and since I don't see the value in functionality for me, there is no reason to spend the money.