Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had mine installed by a professional at a place familiar with Teslas (even 7 years ago!) that does car stereos, radar detectors, etc. No dangling wires anywhere. Dashcam sits mostly in front of the rear view mirror

No need to splice wires - just wind up the unused part and hide it under the headliner. You can shorten the power wire, but it is just wires, so no splicing. I installed 2CH BV dashcams in all four of out Model S now, even the one with MCU2 and sentry mode available since the dashcam is more reliable and draws significantly less power (therefore less vampire drain while parked). All our dashcams are powered from the unused 12V alarm under the microphone panel on the ceiling, and wire to the back goes under the headliner, through the rubber boot to the tailgate, then under the tailgate plastics. No wires dangle anywhere. Even the front dashcam itself is installed such that from the driver's position you cannot really see it as it's hidden behind the rear-view mirror.

One more project to add to the list :)

Is BlackVue still the popular choice?

The "Center Display Storage Device Degraded" message showing up means your eMMC is bad. Is that what you are getting with your replaced eMMC?
It actually says: "Center Display unavailable / Driving and user settings could not be restored". I came out yesterday and the center screen was dead. After about 10 mins I was able to get it to reboot and now everything is working except I still have that error message.

UPDATE: Huh. Just went out there and the message is gone. Tesla called me about the problem and I told them it was gone, but I'd like to go ahead and upgrade to MCU2 plus the "Radio upgrade" (it seems the new MCU2 doesn't have Radio, so you have to pay an extra $1000.00 to get it???? Anyway all for the absolute bargain price of $2500.00.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
It sounds like that could be it. Good catch. 👍

At this point I have decided to just upgrade to MCU2. The handwriting for MCU1 seems to be on the wall. I think it's only a matter of time before it will have to be replaced anyway and I plan on keeping the car for a long time to come. Plus, I've heard the new screen is much better than the old one and since I plan to keep the car I don't mind putting a little money into it. It's cheaper than paying $90k for a new one. ;)

Reactions: dark cloud