Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Service via their app in response to my request to restore Slacker Radio service. I wonder if it is a typo and they meant Slacker.

Yup. As Occam's Razor puts simply “the simplest solution is almost always the best.

That would be my guess.

Removing Slacker and replacing it with Spotify would be a huuuuuge change fleet wide. It's not something they would do just willy-nilly -- even though this is Tesla. If that were true, I'm certain Tesla and/or Elon Musk would be announcing that well in advance.

Reactions: bareyb
@HankLloydRight

They restored Slacker Radio today, so it looks like the message from them about activating Spotify was a mistake.
Good to hear. As part of an ongoing saga, which I will write up when and if it ever completes, I have my car at the Service Center. I asked them about restoring Slacker for me and the guy stared at me as though I had grown another head, even after I explained in detail. They may not be hiring the best and brightest, I'm starting to think.

It actually says: "Center Display unavailable / Driving and user settings could not be restored". I came out yesterday and the center screen was dead. After about 10 mins I was able to get it to reboot and now everything is working except I still have that error message.

UPDATE: Huh. Just went out there and the message is gone. Tesla called me about the problem and I told them it was gone, but I'd like to go ahead and upgrade to MCU2 plus the "Radio upgrade" (it seems the new MCU2 doesn't have Radio, so you have to pay an extra $1000.00 to get it???? Anyway all for the absolute bargain price of $2500.00.
Just got a quote yesterday for MCU2 replacement w/FM for $2700. Seems like a year ago it was $1500 + $500 for FM, installed. When did this change?

Here's the quote - can anybody decipher why "radio" is listed twice?

Oops, doh, labor. Labor for radio or the whole thing, I can't tell. Almost $2800 total.

Attachments

• Tesla Service Estimate_encrypted_.pdf
    170.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Just got a quote yesterday for MCU2 replacement w/FM for $2700. Seems like a year ago it was $1500 + $500 for FM, installed. When did this change?

They shouldn't be charging labor, the $318.75, for the radio upgrade. The upgrade page makes it clear that the $500 includes installation.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks, Mike. I'll bring their attention to that and then I guess pop for the upgrade.

When they did the eMMC upgrade, they replaced my center screen without cost or mention! It was great - except now, just a few months later, it has yellow edges.

Also, my IC screen started to bleed glue or whatever it is, and now it's so goopy as to make it hard to read miles remaining. So at this point the "upgrade" is really the only way to fix both problems. I just hope it all doesn't happen again.

Oops, doh, labor. Labor for radio or the whole thing, I can't tell. Almost $2800 total.
Looks like the MCU2 price has increased to $1,750 and the Radio is $500.
I would challenge the additional $318.75 labor charge and suggest that should be included in the MCU2/Radio package price (labor included).

1658333184579.png

For the love of...
So my car was promised back today (struts & shocks, refasten front fascia) after a delay yesterday. It's 3:21pm now, no contact.
Here's the picture from my app:
View attachment 830754

That's it. No way to contact them.

Gotta love that service!

When that "In Service" screen comes up, wait a little and the screen should populate with some info, like, The service center your car is at, etc. in addition to a Chat icon to the right of "Payment". Use that Chat channel to communicate with them. I've had the black lines you are showing in your screenshot every now and then but waiting a bit longer or relaunching the app should reveal those contents. Otherwise, there is something wrong with the app on your phone.

• Helpful
Reactions: HenryT