Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're getting your radio "upgraded", here's a tip from my recent "upgrade": ask them to verify operation of the radio before you make the trip back to the SC to pick the car up. (At least, if it's any distance for you to travel.)

Yes that's right, after they installed mine, and I took the hour-long Uber ride to pick the car up... the radio didn't work. Nobody could figure out why. After cooling my heels for another hour while they determined they had no clue, they sent me home in a loaner. After the weekend and most of the day Monday, they did get it working. I mean, OK, they got it wrong the first time. Everyone makes mistakes. But to not even verify operation of the new part before telling the customer to come pick the car up? I... I just can't even.

(As a bonus they marred the trim surrounding the screen when they did the MCU2 install. I only noticed that after I got it home.)

I've swapped out my eMMC and all seems to be well except for the app doesn't work. The keys are in place, CONN_vpnConnected reports true, I've verified tesla has my current tokens... but the app just says "503 Server Maintenance" and doesn't talk.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Try removing the app and reinstall it.
I have... it doesn't change anything.

We've also transferred the vehicle to a newly created tesla account which didn't help either.

One difference that may be a/the issue is the car was running 2021 firmware and is now 2019... could it be that the app is simply not compatible with firmware 2019.36.2 firmware? it worked under 2021 prior to the eMMC swap.
  • The VPN works (CONN_vpnConnected reports True, nonce reports information about the vehicle, it can download config information, caches map data, and communicate with http://mothership.vn.teslamotors.com:4567/vehicles/${VIN}/... just fine)
  • "sv status hermes-client" reports "run: hermes-client: (pid 1234) 50859s; run: log: (pid 267) 1658936929s"
  • wwan0 gets a 10.x.x.x/28 address
  • "initctl status vpn" reports "vpn start/running, process 3281"
  • curl -X PUT -H 'Content-type: application/json' -d '{"certificate":{"serial_number":"<all caps SN of car.crt without :>","expiration":"<copy paste expiration from car.crt>"}}' responds "ok"
  • /var/etc/.pseudonym matches the previous eMMC (what is this for???)
  • /var/etc/mcu_commands_key matches the previous eMMC (what is this for???)
  • I have 3x different ca.crt files ... they all get me connected, is there a "correct" one to use?
  • I do have a ta.key, I'm supposed to have that in place, right? it won't connect to hermes-client without it.
  • I have a board.crt and a board.key but I don't know if/where those get used?

One difference that may be a/the issue is the car was running 2021 firmware and is now 2019... could it be that the app is simply not compatible with firmware 2019.36.2 firmware? it worked under 2021 prior to the eMMC swap.
According to this TSB you have to be running 2019.40.2.3 or newer for Tesla app functionality to work. (Tesla doesn't use the VPN for app functionality anymore, or at least that is what I understand.)

Also, I thought 2022.4, or newer, was required to keep compatibility with the AT&T cellular network as they shut down 3G.

Reactions: FlatSix911
does someone
According to this TSB you have to be running 2019.40.2.3 or newer for Tesla app functionality to work. (Tesla doesn't use the VPN for app functionality anymore, or at least that is what I understand.)

Also, I thought 2022.4, or newer, was required to keep compatibility with the AT&T cellular network as they shut down 3G.
Thank you for the info... we've updated to 2020 but app still doesn't work.... do you happen to know what we could look for in the logs? What service is even responsible for handling the app? What url external to the VPN it uses so we can watch for traffic? I can't get anything I do to the car to change anything in the app or vs vs (seems as though there is a total disconnect between the app and the vehicle.)

As for AT&T cellular connectivity... cell service seemed to work just fine in 2019 and continues to work fine in 2020. 3G networks were shut down a while ago so it would seem 4G/LTE at least as of today is working.... but app doesn't work even when the vehicle is connected to WiFi (in the driveway).

We figured out the app issue.... it was due to /dev/mmcblk0boot1 containing a backup of the openvpn keys from a doner vehicle that didn't match the car. Once I learned the firmware was restoring the copy from /dev/mmcblk0boot1 over the keys I placed in /var/etc/openvpn, I wiped out /dev/mmcblk0boot1, put the correct keys in /var/etc/openvpn one last time, rebooted, and presto .... the app works!

Taking in my car for MCU2 this morning. Besides having them verify that FM works when they're done (thanks for that) if anyone has other suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'm taking pictures of the trim and dash to compare, and quickly writing down my Slacker stations so that I can replicate them if necessary.

I have free premium connectivity (2014) - should I remind them of this?

Severely crossing my fingers that they don't mess something up. I have low faith in the new SC in my area, the old one seemed great, but this one feels like it's full of under-trained newbies. Thanks for any last-minute advice.

Taking in my car for MCU2 this morning. Besides having them verify that FM works when they're done (thanks for that) if anyone has other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Try different app functions: remote start, remote unlock, climate, trunk, etc. Sometimes the SC forgets a certificate.
And check the last connections made when re/re'ing the MCU; make sure the glove box opens and hazard lights flash.

Thanks for all those tips. Good news & bad.

The "good" news is that I tested all those things before paying -- and FM radio didn't work. "But I tested it yesterday!" said the tech. Yeah, that test was apparently done before complete reassembly; the cord had pulled out on the last step when the screen went back in.

So they fixed that, and I paid. Oops -- now I can't find the TuneIn app anywhere. It's running 2022.20.7. I have a nice SiriusXM app (useless since I don't have the antenna), but no TuneIn. I have rebooted several times; there is a thread over in Model Y from April with the app mysteriously re-appearing. But not mine.

Thanks for all those tips. Good news & bad.

The "good" news is that I tested all those things before paying -- and FM radio didn't work. "But I tested it yesterday!" said the tech. Yeah, that test was apparently done before complete reassembly; the cord had pulled out on the last step when the screen went back in.

So they fixed that, and I paid. Oops -- now I can't find the TuneIn app anywhere. It's running 2022.20.7. I have a nice SiriusXM app (useless since I don't have the antenna), but no TuneIn. I have rebooted several times; there is a thread over in Model Y from April with the app mysteriously re-appearing. But not mine.

My Homelink was missing. I did a factory reset, drove the car for a while, let it sit about an hour and the homelink was back. So, that's worth to try, IMO.

My Homelink was missing. I did a factory reset, drove the car for a while, let it sit about an hour and the homelink was back. So, that's worth to try, IMO.
Wow, okay -- when you say "factory reset" do you mean something other than two-thumb salute?

I just got a message from the SC that it should be on the (entertainment)Settings->Sources menu, and it ain't. Spotify, Tidal, the useless SiriusXM, but no TuneIn. I shall go drive the car to lunch and let it sit and see how it likes it.

Wow, okay -- when you say "factory reset" do you mean something other than two-thumb salute?

I just got a message from the SC that it should be on the (entertainment)Settings->Sources menu, and it ain't. Spotify, Tidal, the useless SiriusXM, but no TuneIn. I shall go drive the car to lunch and let it sit and see how it likes it.
A factory reset to erase all personal data by touching:
Controls > Service > Factory Reset. Make sure you understand what you would lose before doing it.

Edit:
You would also lose historical trips data and energy usage. Take a picture of all those before proceeding.

From Manual:
"Factory Reset: Erase all personal data (saved addresses, music favorites, HomeLink programming, etc.) and restore all settings to their factory defaults. This is useful when transferring ownership of Model S. Before erasing, you must enter the credentials for your Tesla account."

I took pictures of all my settings and performed a factory reset before turning my MCU1 to the service center and did another factory reset after coming home with the new MCU2.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Russell
Much thanks, will give that a try unless I hear something better from the SC today (who is, amazingly, still in contact with me). I'm hoping they might be able to push-fix it, like maybe it's a feature flag that has gone unset.

I'll update here, this seems like maybe the wrong thread but it also catches a lot of these experiences.

Reactions: Droschke
Much thanks, will give that a try unless I hear something better from the SC today (who is, amazingly, still in contact with me). I'm hoping they might be able to push-fix it, like maybe it's a feature flag that has gone unset.

I'll update here, this seems like maybe the wrong thread but it also catches a lot of these experiences.
Good luck.

Also, when you get your TuneIn back see if your favorites are still available. Mine doesn't show the "Favorites" category at all and the search for a particular station which I was able to do with MCU1 implementation are no longer available under the newer software running under MCU2.

I have just had the eMMC replaced on my 2016 model S under warranty. However I had also noticed that there is a gell leaking from the bottom of the screen panel which Tesla have said is not caused by the eMMC failure so need to replace the screen at £750. Had anyone experienced a similar leak and had it repaired? Thanks.

I have just had the eMMC replaced on my 2016 model S under warranty. However I had also noticed that there is a gell leaking from the bottom of the screen panel which Tesla have said is not caused by the eMMC failure so need to replace the screen at £750. Had anyone experienced a similar leak and had it repaired? Thanks.

You always can do this:

Yes it is not caused by the eMMC failure but if the car is under warranty, why are they not replacing the display for that reason?