Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU2 is useless for AP1 car.
All you are gaining is the entertainment part of the software.
I upgraded to MCU2 in my AP0 model s. For me, the deciding factor came down to responsiveness. With MCU1, if I was planning a long trip it could take an upwards of 8 or more MINUTES for the navigation to plan the route. If I missed a turn, it would take 45 seconds to a full minute to reroute, which was maddening in a city.

For me, the $1500 cost was worth it and makes it feel like a new car.

I can understand your decision dilemma.
For me, my 2nd replacement MCU1 (as you may know the replacements were rebuilds) was going out.
By then the Feds had already mandated the fix and I had received my refund check for buying my 2nd replacment (first was out of warranty by a month or 2).
Rather than get the daughterboard bandaid, I negotiated to apply that cost to the MCU2. So out the door, it was $1500 for me.
My SC knew of all my issues as I was on my 3rd MCU1, and the car only had around 40K mi.
I also plan on keeping the car for quite awhile - so that also played into my $1500 decision.
With all that said, I haven't looked back.

Well, you gain a working web browser too.

But if you pay the extra $500 for the FM radio to not go away, you get a radio that works like s***, has frequently-choppy sound, and is choppy as you change volume. They underestimated the number of customers that rely on FM because of lack of LTE coverage, and came up with a poorly-integrated radio that sort of works.

Totally disagree. MCU2 makes the car feel fresh and updated. Drawing map tiles on MCU1 was painfully slow…and sometimes never worked at all.
I replaced my MCU1 with MCU2 over a year ago. At first everything worked faster and smoother with MCU2 but now map drawing is starting to slow down again. When I zoom out, I'd say it takes 30-60 seconds for the map to completed with the traffic color code.

Is it worth $2K to you? If your next car had a $2,000 karaoke software option, do you include it in your build?

In and of itself no, but in combination with the other added benefits of MCU2, it makes it all the more worth it to me.

If my next car had an upgraded infotainment option for $2k and one of the features was karaoke software, I'd be more inclined to purchase the upgrade.

Thanks... I did check Ebay. But just need to make sure which one to buy as a replacement.

My Model S doesn't charge anymore, and the MCU is completely dead. It did start working after a soft-reset a few weeks ago. Then one day it stopped charging, and the 12V battery error came up.
After a batter change, the MCU doesn't power on, and when I try to charge, it says "charging is complete", although it's at 60/70%

Hi Folks,

In March I upgraded my 2016 Model X to MCU2/HW3. Today I received a warning on my dash about replacing my Low Voltage battery. No problem, I have done this on my S as well. However when I booked the service they also included a VCM replacement (for another $600): “Correction: Replace VCM To Upgrade eMMC (Model X) - Remove and Replace”

I don’t understand why this would be added and if it is somehow a failure of the MCU2 upgrade why it would not be covered? For the record, this was the upgrade note:
Concern: Additional items for MCU2 Upgrade
Removed and replaced MCU, Autopilot and FM Tuner. Carried out new MCU learn procedures.
Carried out new Autopilot learn procedures.
Carried out new FM Tuner learn procedures.
Carried out Firmware reinstall.
Performed functionality check of MCU and Radio Tuner. Confirmed all correct.
Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.0 To Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (With SIM Extender)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-FOR 1.00

I am still waiting to hear back from the SC but was hoping to be better prepared with what I needed to know in case it goes another round.

Thank you in advance!

@OK-S , yep, @Krash is dead on right. Their records simply don't know your car now as MCU2, Just decline the offer. And if they started working on it, before they even did anything, they would notice its not needed.
Thanks! The problem is that I have to accept the quote and that will also determine whether I can use a Mobile Service or how long they would plan to keep the car (SC is 2 hours away). Anyway, I have replied to them in the booking notes and hope they will fix and requote.

@OK-S , yep, @Krash is dead on right. Their records simply don't know your car now as MCU2, Just decline the offer. And if they started working on it, before they even did anything, they would notice its not needed.
I think the Tesla SC is confused thinking that you still have the old MCU. AND that you you should be charged for that eMMC upgrade, since it should be free for MCU1.
Thanks, that is reassuring. It does appear strange for them not to know as software updates would be linked to it - is it possible for it to have been improperly “programmed“ when updated? Curiously, the battery warning also says that the car cannot accept a software update until it is replaced - not a warning I have seen previously. Cheers.

Thanks! The problem is that I have to accept the quote and that will also determine whether I can use a Mobile Service or how long they would plan to keep the car (SC is 2 hours away). Anyway, I have replied to them in the booking notes and hope they will fix and requote.
Accepting the quote is just that - a quote. You've not committed to the work until you sign for the work. Besides, I doubt any tech wants to become famous for voiding all common sense and installing a MCU1 eMMC update daughterboard and reinstalling a MCU1 after removing a MCU2 unit. (He would simply update the supervisor of the situation and not perform that work.) I am confident.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy