Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant buzzing from the dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone with a new AP2.5 version Model X have any sort of buzzing (as if a small fan is hitting a wire or something) emanating from the front dash area? My car has had this noise since delivery and I am being told it is normal for all AP2.5s to have this noise. All other tesla’s I have been in are dead silent when in park.

It’s a low sounding buzz/static noise but its prominent. The service person even acknowledged that it was the first he had heard of the noise but after looking at the car, they said this is a normal noise (but conveniently no similar versions of the car were available to compare the noise to — cars that they said also had the noise but were not on the lot at the time)

I had a noise that sounded like a wire hitting a fan, coming from behind the dash on the right side. It was diagnosed as "found harness cable tie is slightly contacting DAS ecu fan. adjusted harness and cable tie. inspected cooling fans for ecu. noise is no longer present and fans are functioning correctly."

I have this noise too and my Model X was delivered in October.. I dropped it off for Service last week and asked them to fix the noise (so I'll let you know if they do) along with some other minor issues.

The brand new loaner Model X they gave me also has the noise.

Same problem with our MX AP2.5 car (delivered late Sep 2017). There is another thread here: Buzzing static noise that talks about this problem.

According to my SC, this is a “known issue” with Tesla engineers. However, fixing this is a “low priority” as it doesn’t involve a “safety related issue.” My SC, however, advised that I call Tesla’s headquarters to report my concerns and dissatisfaction with the buzzing sound. I was advised that if enough people voice their concerns, engineering will escalate the matter and should result in a sooner fix.

I followed the advice of my SC and called Tesla’s headquarters to report the problem. The representative I spoke with was very friendly and promptly reported the problems we are experiencing to whomever handles issues such as this.

I have performed a series of tests in which I was able to get the sound to turn on and off. The description is somewhat long, but you may find it interesting and perhaps helpful.

Including the car we own (66,xxx), I drove three other loaner/demo Model X’s. Of the four vehicles, three had the buzzing sound and one did not. The car that didn’t have it was an older car.