Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant cracking sound in speakers; sporadic loss of audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 Model S, upgraded to MCU2 with SXM/AM/FM receiver. Since the upgrade, my SXM/AM/FM crackles anytime I turn volume up or down, and also at random/sporadically when listening to music. Now it also started cutting out for 1-2 seconds randomly when using Bluetooth for music or phone call, as well as when streaming. It is incredibly annoying and makes all audio virtually unusable. Took it to SC who told me it is a firmware issue, engineers are aware, and no ETA for the fix. Got a second opinion from another SC (I’m an hour from two different ones), same conclusion.

Anyone else having the issue? Two videos can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/@jarrodklunk, one on SXM and one on streaming. It is so bad that I’m thinking about getting rid of the vehicle.

Thanks!

Reactions: leapingwhale
I am having similar issue on my 2021 Model S. I'm in Seattle, WA. Increasingly experiencing "glitches" (crackling sound) on FM and SXM, particularly when i use left thumbwheel to adjust volume. Cannot recreate the problem when playing music from Apple Music. Definitly an issue with radio frequencies, SXM, and i think Spotify. Problem is getting worse.

Reactions: Jklunk
Same issue as of a couple of days ago. But only radio so far, Bluetooth from my phone comes out great, which means it isn't the speakers. There was an update last night which didn't fix it, so if it's something the engineers are aware of, they need to get busy. My main concern is that, if this was a widespread issue, there'd be a lot more posts here about it. (Funny little thing that arose at the same time: the turn-signal clicker hiccups every so often.)

Same issue as of a couple of days ago. But only radio so far, Bluetooth from my phone comes out great, which means it isn't the speakers. There was an update last night which didn't fix it, so if it's something the engineers are aware of, they need to get busy. My main concern is that, if this was a widespread issue, there'd be a lot more posts here about it. (Funny little thing that arose at the same time: the turn-signal clicker hiccups every so often.)
Thanks jhoughton1. Good catch that “Bluetooth comes out great” eliminating speakers as the source of the problem. This is helpful. I am schedule with Seattle Tesla Service Center and will post an update here.

Reactions: jhoughton1
For me, this specifically happened with the latest update on the car 2023.2.x. I'm currently on 2023.2.10, but the issue was introduced when I updated to 2023.2.0.5. Prior to that update, I had no issues with audio in the car.

With FM it's basically unusable as the distortion is so great all of the time. With Spotify/Apple Music/TuneIN it's ok most of the time, but I get pauses or skips in the playback and occasional glitches - it happens the most with Apple Music and seems to be less with Spotify, but prior to the update I never had playback issues with these sources. I haven't tried Bluetooth, but will give that a go to see if that's a temporary workaround.

I've raised a support case with Tesla on this as it seems to be a purely software issue that has been introduced with this update. My observation on it is that it seems to be worse when there is activity on the dashboard screen, such as the volume going up/down, shifting from park to drive, more cars visualised etc. It may be that there's been some change in prioritisation of CPU usage and the audio stack doesn't have enough to process everything properly now. That's purely a guess though.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest raising a support case with Tesla so they know there's more than just one person with the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: popgodazipa
Thanks jhoughton1. Good catch that “Bluetooth comes out great” eliminating speakers as the source of the problem. This is helpful. I am schedule with Seattle Tesla Service Center and will post an update here.
My Bluetooth doesn’t crackle, but it does pause/drop for about 1-2 seconds at random. Especially during phone calls. I cannot hear the caller and they cannot hear me.

For me, this specifically happened with the latest update on the car 2023.2.x. I'm currently on 2023.2.10, but the issue was introduced when I updated to 2023.2.0.5. Prior to that update, I had no issues with audio in the car.

With FM it's basically unusable as the distortion is so great all of the time. With Spotify/Apple Music/TuneIN it's ok most of the time, but I get pauses or skips in the playback and occasional glitches - it happens the most with Apple Music and seems to be less with Spotify, but prior to the update I never had playback issues with these sources. I haven't tried Bluetooth, but will give that a go to see if that's a temporary workaround.

I've raised a support case with Tesla on this as it seems to be a purely software issue that has been introduced with this update. My observation on it is that it seems to be worse when there is activity on the dashboard screen, such as the volume going up/down, shifting from park to drive, more cars visualised etc. It may be that there's been some change in prioritisation of CPU usage and the audio stack doesn't have enough to process everything properly now. That's purely a guess though.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest raising a support case with Tesla so they know there's more than just one person with the issue.
When you mention raising a support case, I’m assuming you are talking normal support through the app? I’ve done that, but if there is an other way to do so I absolutely will.

Interesting development today—I also have a 2016 Model X where I upgraded to MCU2 but did not add SXM/FM tuner. Was fine until today, when streaming starting pausing/skipping back just like my Model S. I just upgraded software to 2023.2.10 last night.

I’d recommend waiting on the software upgrade if you are not having problems, as I now have it with 2015 MS and 2016 MX. I’m guessing there could be issues with M3 and MY as well.

I have a situation with the iPhone attempting to interject a sound that causes the system to freak out. So I get a text on my phone and it tries to beep and the car tries to play that thru the speakers but instead of cleanly mixing it with the sound from the FM or whatever I am listening to it sounds like it quickly switching to the bluetooth and then when switching back it drops, I lose all sound except the windshield speakers and then I get the doors back and finally the subwoofer, seriously obvious lack of low end w/o it. I think I get it with other interruptions but I have yet to be able to be taking a video as my phone IS the source of the problem. When I start recording a video the sound stops from the phone.

When you mention raising a support case, I’m assuming you are talking normal support through the app? I’ve done that, but if there is an other way to do so I absolutely will.
I did it via this page: Customer and Product Support | Tesla Support

Using the contact us link at the bottom. You'll then need to log in and mention what the issue relates to, which is "Vehicle and App features", then choose "Software and Firmware". I got an initial response asking me to do a soft restart etc. which I tried, then responded with the video showing the issue in more detail. Haven't heard back from that yet.

I've had this problem in my 2013 S ever since the first day of the MCU2 upgrade, but it has gotten progressively worse. At first it was mainly the FM radio and only when I adjusted the volume or turned on the rear camera. Bluetooth phone calls were bad but still usable. Now, FM radio and Bluetooth are essentially unusable. Since the latest firmware update a few days ago, now even Spotify glitches. This is new. Also, the turn signal sound is sometimes delayed.

Question for the rest of you: do you have the FM tuner? I'm thinking of having them take mine out to see if it helps.

Tesla told me in July that they were aware of the problem and it would be fixed OTA. Ok, fine, but here we are in February and they just today told me exactly the same thing. I don't get the feeling they are ever going to fix it. I think they are just telling us these things to wait us out.

I've had this problem in my 2013 S ever since the first day of the MCU2 upgrade, but it has gotten progressively worse. At first it was mainly the FM radio and only when I adjusted the volume or turned on the rear camera. Bluetooth phone calls were bad but still usable. Now, FM radio and Bluetooth are essentially unusable. Since the latest firmware update a few days ago, now even Spotify glitches. This is new. Also, the turn signal sound is sometimes delayed.

Question for the rest of you: do you have the FM tuner? I'm thinking of having them take mine out to see if it helps.

Tesla told me in July that they were aware of the problem and it would be fixed OTA. Ok, fine, but here we are in February and they just today told me exactly the same thing. I don't get the feeling they are ever going to fix it. I think they are just telling us these things to wait us out.
LeapingWhale, head to this thread as I am updating there:

SiriusXM Volume Scratchy

Yeah man, you described it exactly. MS20 and this last update killed my system. Apple Music, SXM, Bluetooth…it is just horrible. I’m a bit of an audiophile..not extreme, but even the EQ seems off with this update. Hoping the next one will sort this out

Exact same issue here.
2013 MS, just updated to 2023.2.10
Got my car back from the Service center the other day for several unrelated repairs, and figured they must have messed up some connections or something because I had all kinds of problems...
1. Homelink no longer working - had to clear memory and re-program
2. Bluetooth no longer connecting to phone - had to re-pair, took many many attempts but eventually worked
3. WiFi no longer connecting to home - had to re-program, took many many attempts but eventually worked
4. Streaming audio stutters - ongoing and identical to jklunk's video post
5. FM radio and phone static - ongoing and identical to jklunk's video post. Also happens when you try to adjust EQ.

Submitted service request in app. Got nothing but worthless responses via text that have yet to even acknowledge there is a problem.

I had no issues until two updates ago. This is driving me nuts. I have an appointment Thursday but assume like others that there is no fix as they won’t/can’t rollback my FW two versions. Really unfortunate.
Consider yourself lucky. Mine has never worked correctly in 11 months, however it was only recently that it became completely unusable. I'm not exaggerating either. I have not been able to make a decent Bluetooth phone call since February 2022 — except for in the junker Prius I bought for four grand in 2018. That one somehow works perfectly.