Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant cracking sound in speakers; sporadic loss of audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: I just visited my local SC and stated they are aware of the issue, and engineers are working on a firmware update.
Not to be a pessimist, but engineers have been working on an update since last February. I’m just hopeful this isn’t a delay tactic. I thought about submitting another mobile appointment request just to get an update, but everyone is getting the same lip service—engineering is working on an update via firmware (I’ve had two software updates since my first service and neither has fixed the problem). I’m on 2023.2.12 now.

Not to be a pessimist, but engineers have been working on an update since last February. I’m just hopeful this isn’t a delay tactic. I thought about submitting another mobile appointment request just to get an update, but everyone is getting the same lip service—engineering is working on an update via firmware (I’ve had two software updates since my first service and neither has fixed the problem). I’m on 2023.2.12 now.
This.

I guess I’m hoping they did not mean 2023.12 as that release would likely not be until late this year if at all. And I assumed since it was 2023.2.12 that they just missed the 2.

I assume they posted correctly.

Why would it not be until late this year? 2023.6.x is rolling out a little now, so I would expect 2023.12 to show it's head in about 6 weeks. So probably in early May. (But technically it could show up as early as next week.)

Edit: The other reason that they couldn't heave meant 2023.2.12, is that they posted on 3/2, and on 3/2 2023.2.12 was already widely available, and they said that the release date still had no ETA. (The peak installs for 2023.2.12 were on 2/23/2023.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I have the crackling sound at all times when attempting to listen to FM radio. The audio pauses that are widely reported are all presenting on my car with all other audio sources. I have a 2020 model S.

However, a new problem has developed since the SC installed 2023.6.1 on my car (prior to public release). Now my Bluetooth (for phone calls) is nOt usable. The person on the other end of my phone call hears a lot of static and road noise. That wasn’t the case prior to the 2023.6.1 update.

I was also told the FM radio problem would be fixed with 2023.12.x with no ETA. SC has no idea what’s wrong with my Bluetooth as there obviously haven’t been enough bug reports on that yet (since the public release of 2023.6.1 just dropped in the past few days.

I just got 2023.6.8 on my S75D in Australia and the audio issue is FIXED!

FM is working fine (there is maybe some glitching when changing volume, but when the volume is set, it's fine. I think it may have done this before the larger issues were seen.), other audio sources are working fine too. Listened to a few songs on Apple Music in a row with no pauses in playback, glitches etc.

I just got 2023.6.8 on my S75D in Australia and the audio issue is FIXED!

FM is working fine (there is maybe some glitching when changing volume, but when the volume is set, it's fine. I think it may have done this before the larger issues were seen.), other audio sources are working fine too. Listened to a few songs on Apple Music in a row with no pauses in playback, glitches etc.
I just installed 2023.6.8 on my ‘16 MX but did not get to test the radio out yet. Hoping I can install on my ‘15 MS soon but no option yet. When it arrives that’s an easy test as it happens all the time on FM or SXM.

FINALLY!!! BT audio, streaming audio, and calls seem to be solved in 2023.6.8!!!

I took an extra drive tonight to a SC I haven’t been to about 15min away on top of running a few errands. I’m happy to report not one audio dropout for the near 1hr of random driving. The ONLY issue that persists is a weird volume crackle when adjusting radio volume. But I was still able to listen to radio again with no issues in the streaming on top of what I mentioned above. This is a HUGE step in the right direction!

Thanks jhoughton1. Good catch that “Bluetooth comes out great” eliminating speakers as the source of the problem. This is helpful. I am schedule with Seattle Tesla Service Center and will post an update here.
Any update on audio issues. I keep hearing the same old thing. Wait for the update. This is been going on for three months into updates have yet to fix the problem.

FINALLY!!! BT audio, streaming audio, and calls seem to be solved in 2023.6.8!!!

I took an extra drive tonight to a SC I haven’t been to about 15min away on top of running a few errands. I’m happy to report not one audio dropout for the near 1hr of random driving. The ONLY issue that persists is a weird volume crackle when adjusting radio volume. But I was still able to listen to radio again with no issues in the streaming on top of what I mentioned above. This is a HUGE step in the right direction!
2023.6.8 seems to have eliminated the pauses/skips, and the constant crackling in SXM/FM. I still get the crackling on volume up/down on SXM/FM whether I use the scroll wheel or the volume up/down on screen. But that is at least back to where it was before; not fixed but tolerable. Only tried it for five minutes tonight so I’ll report more after I take it on some longer drives. I’m hoping this (mostly) fixed it…all but the volume adjustment.

Next question—how many people have the volume adjustment crackle? Just trying to determine if it’s still firmware or if I could have a bad unit?

2023.6.8 seems to have eliminated the pauses/skips, and the constant crackling in SXM/FM. I still get the crackling on volume up/down on SXM/FM whether I use the scroll wheel or the volume up/down on screen. But that is at least back to where it was before; not fixed but tolerable. Only tried it for five minutes tonight so I’ll report more after I take it on some longer drives. I’m hoping this (mostly) fixed it…all but the volume adjustment.

Next question—how many people have the volume adjustment crackle? Just trying to determine if it’s still firmware or if I could have a bad unit?
I don’t have SXM but yes, the only remaining problem is a bit of an audio glitch when adjusting volume on FM. It’s not present on any other source for me.