Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant cracking sound in speakers; sporadic loss of audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have SXM but yes, the only remaining problem is a bit of an audio glitch when adjusting volume on FM. It’s not present on any other source for me.
I would be interest to hear from anyone with SXM. The skipping seemed to go away, and SXM/FM went back to only crackling on volume change…initially. The past few days it has reverted to constant crackling on SXM and FM, but still no skipping. Streaming SXM/FM from my phone through Bluetooth works fine.

Interestingly, was on the phone and when I backed into my garage the distance notification was only semi-functional. Beeped sometimes and just went muted other times.

I think where we are is where we will end up. It now seems to really only be an issue for vehicles with SXM/FM tuner, so I really doubt Tesla will bother to spend time working on that. Now I need to decide if I want to schedule a SC appointment and see if they will refund the extra I paid for the SXM/FM tuner.

FWIW 2023.6.8 also fixed it for me.

I don't have SXM (UK car), but the FM tuner has been broken for me (skips, crackles) ever since the MCU2 upgrade. My understanding is that it's a known problem and won't be be fixed, the workaround is to use TuneIn.

STRANGE, I had pretty extreme cracking, popping and sporadic loss of music and/or voice navigation. Read this thread and assumed it was what all were experiencing and would have to live with it until Tesla updates.

THEN I had a STRANG situation. I needed to do a 2 button reboot. When the screen came back up I found myself in Tesla HELL. My car must have did a complete factory reset and I lost everything. Spent a couple of hours setting up and also did a Service Menu/reinstall software.

Oddly now my audio is now working perfectly and haven't had a single pop or dropout. Even Apple Music now loads the next track almost immediately.

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
MN Native…have you noticed anything change with the temperatures? I started getting the radio issue this past week. Along with a weird chime problem I started a diff thread on. This past week was unseasonably warm in MN. Today it’s normal temps and viola my radio worked fine and chimes sounded normal. I got the MCU2 upgrade this past January so this last week is the first warm week it’s seen. Also I noticed much of the static coming from the rear drivers side speakers….did anyone pinpoint a source or was it everywhere?

I've got this issue still and made a service appointment and advisor said that Tesla knows of it and will resolve with a FW update but no ETA.

I pushed back as my issue is just (I think) with the right rear door speaker but they still said it was a software problem. I rebooted the car but that did nothing.

2020 Model Y LR and the crackling speakers is annoying. I am running 2023.12.1. Tesla confirmed it is a Firmware issue, but I noticed it only happens when the MCU is thinking or multitasking. It is particularly bad when reviewing sentry video, reversing or enabling signal video.
I just posted a seperate thread about this, i have a 2023 S and it crackles horrible when im in reverse, video goes off and on too, the loaner Model X i had this past weekend did the exact same thing. Firmware in both is 2023.12.2 (it did it in .1 also)...

I am on 2023.12.5
  • Streaming: I still have the 1/4 sec "hiccups" or "blanks" during songs randomly.
  • Left passenger window: Now when I open the rear left passenger door from the inside, the window goes down about 2 inches now, instead of the 1/2" or so to allow the weatherstripping room when closing. BUT - it does not go back up at all! When I repeat it, it goes down another 2 inches. I have to use the button to roll it back up. I have not yet checked the right rear door.

Brought my car in a few weeks ago to the SC after booking an appt. I arrived about 15 min early and while I was in the SC parking lot they pushed a FW update, and auto cancelled my SC appt. I went in anyway and the service guy told me to go home, the firmware would take care of it. He claimed they've been seeing several cases a day of this problem and if FW didn't fix it then I needed a new speaker. Complete trash. They've pushed two updates and now insist the crackling is a bad speaker. I have mobile service coming out tomorrow to look at it. I posted in another thread about my chimes going haywire....seems to happen whenever the crackling is occurring. My guess is that something is stressing or damaging the built in amps on the MCU. Firmware change is probably just decreasing the power output of the amps but if they've been pushed too hard the FW ain't gonna do a dang thing.

• Informative
Reactions: jeremymc7
I still have the same issue I've had for maybe the last six beta versions. Every so often when I turn on a signal, open a door, whatever, etc the radio stops, then usually comes back on fairly quickly but at a lower volume and with a poor quality "mono"(?) sound. Then eventually it goes back to normal. Sometimes this lasts a few seconds, sometimes minuates.