Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant creaking/croaking sound when brakes are applied. Audio included.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help identifying constant creaking croaking sound when brakes are applied. Audio included
It's been 30 days since we took delivery of the 75 model. Everything else is great, but within 3 weeks I started hearing a rubbery creaking/croaking sound every time I...

1) Turn the wheel depressing the brake, or...
2) When releasing the brake after a full stop

The sounds are emanating from the front wheel wells. I captured some audio here: Model X 2018 Noise - Clyp

That's sound #1. I have my foot on the pedal and I'm turning the wheel left and right. This happens mostlywithout fail.

Sound #2 is a short burst of the same sound in the recording.

The mobile team came out and said that this is a normal sounds Tesla's make when the brake pads touch the rotors.

Is this true, or am I crazy? Did other Model X owners experience the same sound after a month of driving? Recommended next steps?

• Informative
Reactions: spectrum
Do you have Creep on? I think that may happen to me at a point when I am trying to creep just a little bit forward, like inching out, but not as long as your recording was. Our X does rock back a bit when We fully stop, and has a noise like your #2, but mobile service tech said that can be tightened up when we go in for our annual service.

I did have creep on, but I just disabled it. I'll have to test it later today to see if that makes a difference. The mobile tech was immediately dismissive of the sound as described it as aa baseline Tesla sound. Which is why I wanted to check with other Tesla owners. Thanks.
Do you have Creep on? I think that may happen to me at a point when I am trying to creep just a little bit forward, like inching out, but not as long as your recording was. Our X does rock back a bit when We fully stop, and has a noise like your #2, but mobile service tech said that can be tightened up when we go in for our annual service.

I have the same exact sound on my 3 week old Model X. I get the same sound when "creeping" and right before or after I press the brakes. On a side note, I don't think it's a good idea to turn the wheels while your brakes are pressed anyways. It causes pressure on the car's frame and brakes as your wheelbase shifts slightly. It also wears your tires out a bit unevenly if you do it too much.

The backing out noise does sound a bit like brake rotor or chassis creaking. But you would have to be going very slow and perhaps turning the wheel for it to sound this way.

Regarding the stop at a light, I sometimes hear the same noise when the car releases brakes from Hold mode (little H in circle on right side of display) that comes on at a stop light after a second or 2 and prevents car from rolling forward or backward. As soon as you press the throttle, the brake disengages and sometimes makes a little noise. I don't use creep mode but my guess it operates similarly.

I get the noise too when I break though not this much, but I never tried to turn when brakes are applied, it is not good for your car and tires too as it can lead to uneven wear. I took delivery end of Aug 2018.

I think yours sounds a bit excessive. I would take it to the SC or if you have other issues to be taken care of then have them look at it at the same time.

It's sad. Everything in my Model X is perfect so far, except for the constant random creaking, rattles, and weird sounds that denote poor craftsmanship and poor quality.

I think instead of ranger, just make an appointment with your local SC, take it in, and tell them your concerns and that you want them fixed.

With the influx of M3's, the SC's have been pushing back or not wanting to take on minor (in their view) issues, unfortunately, so you have to be proactive about it.

One way to not have to listen to the rattles would be to blast your music, even better if you have PUP sound!;)

• Funny
Reactions: spectrum
I think instead of ranger, just make an appointment with your local SC, take it in, and tell them your concerns and that you want them fixed.

With the influx of M3's, the SC's have been pushing back or not wanting to take on minor (in their view) issues, unfortunately, so you have to be proactive about it.

One way to not have to listen to the rattles would be to blast your music, even better if you have PUP sound!;)

My BMWs (3 of them) make the same creaks. You just can't hear them over the engine. But you can feel the same vibrations in the brake pedal as you release pressure on the pedal.