Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant Emergency Light False Alarms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All:

My Model Y *repeatedly* gets tricked into activating the "slow for emergency lights" band-aid that Tesla threw in the software a few updates ago...despite there being zero emergency lights of any kind.

In my case, there's a periodic series of equally-spaced blue lights along the Metro tracks in the center of I-66 in Northern Virginia -- with some occasional red ones thrown in, as well as red brake lights from other vehicles. The Model Y seems to interpret the periodic flashes of red and blue lights as a police or fire vehicle and constantly slows down and interrupts cruise control on my rides at night. It happens at least five or six times over a space of 10 miles. Really irritating.

Ironically, the software usually fails to detect *actual* police lights along the same route.

Has anybody else been observing funky behavior like this with the "detect emergency lights" feature-bug?

I'd love to report this kind of stuff to Tesla, but there's no real way to get in touch with the company unless I file a "service appointment" request in the mobile app, wasting everybody's time because there's no appointment that will fix Tesla's flawed software. Their phone numbers all go in circles to inevitably filled-up or unactivated voicemail boxes, email addresses are all dead or outdated, and they disbanded their communications and PR offices long ago...lol. One's only hope is to randomly tweet things to Elon Musk and hope you're the one-in-a-million tweet he takes note of and responds to.

Aside: It's funny that automotive reporters are constantly having to say things like "We couldn't get comment from Tesla on [insert topic] because they have no communications, media, or PR offices."

- Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: jsmay311
File a bug report. Press the right button on the steering wheel, and say "Bug Report," and then say "False warning for slow for emergency lights." That may eventually help.
I was running across a speed limit zone that was 15 mph, and the car thought it was 25 even though it read the 15 mph speed limit sign correctly. Eventually it must have worked, because now when I pass that zone - the speed limit sign does not register at all. Just an idea.

Reactions: astrobill