Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant high-pitched squealing - Driving or Parked [ez pass device caused issue]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Model 3 LR that we've had since Dec 2019.

For about 24 hours now, it has been making a loud, piercing sound. I don’t want to call it a squeal or a whistle, because it’s definitely electronic, not mechanical. It’s definitely happening inside the car, not outside; and happens whether moving or not, so it's not wind or metal-on-metal.

I don't know whether any of this matters, but here were the circumstances when it started yesterday morning: We were in a parking garage. Got in the car and shifted into D as normal. We were close to the concrete piling on the driver's side and the proximity beeps activated as normal. Within a few seconds of starting in motion, the "squeal" started. As we pulled out of the garage past the bollards and the gate, the proximity beeps activated normally again, independently of the "squeal" and without either affecting the other.

The sound has not stopped since then, so about 24 hours now. (Including nonstop overnight in the driveway.) It doesn’t come and go, or vary at all; it’s constant. It happens while driving or while parked.

Here’s what we’ve tried:

Have been in Park, Drive, and Reverse
Have varied speeds while driving; no difference in sound

Have opened and closed all doors
Have plugged in the charger for a couple hours and unplugged it.

Have turned HVAC on and off
Have scrolled volume wheels up and down

Have restarted the car with Brake + Scrolls
Have installed a firmware update that happened to have been waiting

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Any suggestions? Thanks! We made a service appointment, but the first available one in our area is three weeks from now; not ideal.

Solution
Oh my god. It is the EZ Pass device. Similarly inexplicable why it started squealing and has continued for 30 hours (and still going), but at least we don't have to be driven crazy until a Tesla appointment on the 25th.

Thanks for the input and ideas.
Oh my god. It is the EZ Pass device. Similarly inexplicable why it started squealing and has continued for 30 hours (and still going), but at least we don't have to be driven crazy until a Tesla appointment on the 25th.

Thanks for the input and ideas.

Battery about dead. Replace the device soon or get a ticket the next time you go thru a tollbooth…and heaven for it you go thru several, in different states too. Ask me how I know…

Reactions: rpiotro
Upvote 0
Perhaps you missed it in this thread, but for the OP the issue had nothing to do with their car, it was an EZ pass device (electronic toll road device).
I saw that however I was hoping pd3stealth could help since he mentioned the power frunk. The noise won't go away for us and can be heard outside by the neighbors. Tried to open the power frunk and it didn't work so I think he's on to something.

Upvote 0
I saw that however I was hoping pd3stealth could help since he mentioned the power frunk. The noise won't go away for us and can be heard outside by the neighbors. Tried to open the power frunk and it didn't work so I think he's on to something.

I had water get into the power frunk controller. It will start making a high pitched constant noise through the buzzer. You can unplug the buzzer to see if that is it. This happened to me with two different power frunk controllers.

I ended up opening the power frunk box and cleaning it with a tooth brush and rubbing alcohol. Then I closed it up with some silicone and covered the led lens on the box with tape. Water gets in through the led lens. Runs down it to the board. Been working fine since.

PXL_20210502_141227321.jpg

Upvote 0