TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Constant hum while parked in the garage

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ArenMook, Aug 12, 2016.

1. ArenMook

ArenMook Member

I've recently upgraded my 2013 MS to a 2016 model, and noticed that the new car always seems to have a hum while parked in the garage. Doing some searching revealed that it's expected that there would be some humming due to coolant circulation and such, but I don't think it should be lasting this long, should it? For example I've been keeping an eye on the car for the past 7 hours now, and the electric hum has been present the entire time. Does anyone else experience this with their MS?

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

3. electracity

electracity Active Member

Could be your house with a bad ground, or voltage on the neutral. Is it the same at a supercharger?

4. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

Mine does something very similar. Mine hums for 30-45 seconds and then stops for 10-15 seconds. Then it continues . I have not sat and observed that long but I did notice when I returned from a "light drive?" (2-3 miles and 70 degrees; 5km- 21c) that in the following three hours I lost 6 miles of range (194-188). That seems like a voracious vampire!

I called service. They said it sounded normal and they told me Tesla pulls logs on all of our cars weekly and if anything was amiss, they (local service ) would contact me.

5. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Member

Mine does it without being plugged in and I, perhaps, should have mentioned it is a refreshed 2016 90D.

6. Cnasty

Cnasty Member

Mine hums as well.

Almost like a buzzing hum and it was just after i was playing around in the car and not after a drive.