Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant hum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:
Well I brought it into the Tesla Service Center on friday afternoon. I don't think they got to actually working on the car until Saturday. The tech stated they needed more time to diagnose the issue and wants to keep the car for longer. So far they haven't mentioned whether they found anything specific.

UPDATE #1:
I took the MS into the service center 3 days ago. They still have the car and are still working to diagnose the problem. However, what they told me is that the front fans are remaining on when they should be off while parked/sleeping. They're not sure why this is occurring and are still troubleshooting. But at least I have confirmation this is not normal.

Update: After the update 2023.12.1 was installed my noise stopped. What version software are you on?
I've created a post that is somewhat similar (here) noise wise though, not from initial observation, to the detrimental battery drain experienced by the OP of this post. Did you happen to remember if your noise was a subtle low humming that was emitted near the 17-inch landscape oriented touchscreen? I've already scheduled mobile service to take a look at it, but am tempted to see if an update to 2023.12.1 will resolve it considering that my Model S that I picked up last Saturday is on 2023.6.11.2

Update: After the update 2023.12.1 was installed my noise stopped. What version software are you on?
I'm on 2023.2.301 which according to my MS is the latest "Standard" release software. I got my car back today and this is what Tesla Service reported:

"Verified customer's concern at this time. The noise heard is the coolant pumps running. In quietareas, such as a garage, the coolant pump operation may be amplified and appear abnormal. Athermal system test was performed to rule out any possible malfunctioning component. GeneralVehicle UpKeep is allowing the coolant pumps to remain on consuming energy while idle. Reviewedvehicle logs and confirmed coolant pump requests are constantly active due to flow requests fromthe Car Computer. No coolant leaks were found at this time. Proactively performed a vacuum coolantair purge to eliminate any possible air trapped in the system from initial development. Pleasecontinue to monitor vehicle behavior over the next couple months as the vehicle is adjusting todisplay most efficient range which takes time for the algorithm to complete. For reference, the cellsused in Tesla HV battery packs naturally experience a slight capacity reduction during the firstmonths of use. This can result in a reduction in range displayed at a given state of charge during thefirst months of use of the vehicle. Following this initial decline during the first months of usage, therate of capacity reduction levels off for years and miles. No further action is needed at this time."

I'm on 2023.2.301 which according to my MS is the latest "Standard" release software. I got my car back today and this is what Tesla Service reported:

"Verified customer's concern at this time. The noise heard is the coolant pumps running. In quietareas, such as a garage, the coolant pump operation may be amplified and appear abnormal. Athermal system test was performed to rule out any possible malfunctioning component. GeneralVehicle UpKeep is allowing the coolant pumps to remain on consuming energy while idle. Reviewedvehicle logs and confirmed coolant pump requests are constantly active due to flow requests fromthe Car Computer. No coolant leaks were found at this time. Proactively performed a vacuum coolantair purge to eliminate any possible air trapped in the system from initial development. Pleasecontinue to monitor vehicle behavior over the next couple months as the vehicle is adjusting todisplay most efficient range which takes time for the algorithm to complete. For reference, the cellsused in Tesla HV battery packs naturally experience a slight capacity reduction during the firstmonths of use. This can result in a reduction in range displayed at a given state of charge during thefirst months of use of the vehicle. Following this initial decline during the first months of usage, therate of capacity reduction levels off for years and miles. No further action is needed at this time."

That explanation by Tesla SC does not make sense in your scenario. Did they update your software to 2023.12.1 while the car was in their possession?

It might be the coolant pumps running. I haven't had my 2015 P85D really long but it does this especially when I have it plugged in and it's cold. I'm guessing the car is just trying warm itself up. It comes and it goes.

If you want to make sure 100% then take out the frunk trim and bowl, then just look around under the hood when it's whining. It's how I figured out it was the coolant pumps that were whining albeit I was after something else.

I believe your issue is different from what the OP is going through, even though the symptoms seem to be similar. Since your car is much older, 1) search for pumpgate, and 2) you might have a weak 12v battery as well.

I believe your issue is different from what the OP is going through, even though the symptoms seem to be similar. Since your car is much older, 1) search for pumpgate, and 2) you might have a weak 12v battery as well.

My issue was a faulty HV battery heater. I think my car was trying to maintain the HV battery with a faulty heater so the pumps were working overtime trying to circulate less-warm coolant longer than needed to achieve the proper temps. The pumps have been a lot quieter ever since the heater was replaced.

Did the SC ever explain why the pumps are running? As in what sensor is requesting the pumps to be running all the time and for what purpose? For example, is the HV battery too cold and it needs to warm up? Is it too hot and needs to cool down? etc...

Is charger always plugged in to the car when parked?

My issue was a faulty HV battery heater. I think my car was trying to maintain the HV battery with a faulty heater so the pumps were working overtime trying to circulate less-warm coolant longer than needed to achieve the proper temps. The pumps have been a lot quieter ever since the heater was replaced.

Ah, OK. Did not see it in your previous posts.

I have a similar issue. Got MY delivered last week and I’m on 2023.6.11. Whenever car is parked after a drive; approx 10 mins later this sound starts (pretty loud fan under Frunk); it runs for about 30 mins and then stops. It happens even if I move the car from driveway to garage.

Reactions: zivac87
As an update, have owned the MS 2023 for about 3 months now. It still loses about 3% range (12 miles) overnight parked in my indoor garage. Energy app still says it is all due to "vehicle standby".

Is it normal to lose 3% overnight (12 hrs) parked in a garage where ambient temp is about 70F?

Reactions: zivac87