TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Constant (Non-Switched) 12 V source in (rear) trunk?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 1NJ85D, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 1NJ85D

1NJ85D Member

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I think we are out of luck. The only non-switched that I am aware of are:
    1. behind the mic grille above the rear view mirror on some models, not all.
    2. behind the cubby under the 17" on the passenger side. A vacant connector, like above.
    3. The OBD port on the left of the driver's wheel well.

You could always run a line up to the front. Not that hard. But a bit of a hassle. I use #1 for my front/rear dash cam.

• Informative x 1
  3. 1NJ85D

1NJ85D Member

I was not aware of this one. Any chance you could expand? Thanks much!

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have not used that port. I have read posts about it being available with power. But I think you will need to either fashion a connector to mate it or splice into it. I have not read anything about what it could be used for by Tesla. Personally, since the MS is new tech and so complicated, I have decided to not splice into anything, for fear of screwing something up. Even though it is only a 12V connection, who knows? I used the one above the mirror to power my dash cam, which was easy. All I did was pop the connector open, lay my wires in and snap it shut. From the looks of the one behind the 17", I don't know if it would be that easy. When I installed my radar in the front nose cone, I did a simple, no cut tap into the fuse box under the top cowl. Both have worked with no problems.

5. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

If you have the tech package and automatic liftgate controls, there an always-on 12v source on the lift gate controls under the passenger side liner/trim panel, which has to be pulled away for access. We use it to power the lighted rear applique. Here's a photo of it tapped:

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

Please would you expand on where this is - I don't know the topology of the car well enough. Is it in the trunk or in the car beside the rear seat.......?

8. Joe F

Joe F FUD Buster

Trunk. See their complete install docs and pics here.

9. Whitmarsh

Whitmarsh Member

Thank you very much.