TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Constant (Non-Switched) 12 V source in (rear) trunk?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 1NJ85D, Apr 3, 2016.

1. 1NJ85D

1NJ85D Member

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I think we are out of luck. The only non-switched that I am aware of are:
    1. behind the mic grille above the rear view mirror on some models, not all.
    2. behind the cubby under the 17" on the passenger side. A vacant connector, like above.
    3. The OBD port on the left of the driver's wheel well.

You could always run a line up to the front. Not that hard. But a bit of a hassle. I use #1 for my front/rear dash cam.

• Informative x 1
  3. 1NJ85D

1NJ85D Member

I was not aware of this one. Any chance you could expand? Thanks much!

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have not used that port. I have read posts about it being available with power. But I think you will need to either fashion a connector to mate it or splice into it. I have not read anything about what it could be used for by Tesla. Personally, since the MS is new tech and so complicated, I have decided to not splice into anything, for fear of screwing something up. Even though it is only a 12V connection, who knows? I used the one above the mirror to power my dash cam, which was easy. All I did was pop the connector open, lay my wires in and snap it shut. From the looks of the one behind the 17", I don't know if it would be that easy. When I installed my radar in the front nose cone, I did a simple, no cut tap into the fuse box under the top cowl. Both have worked with no problems.

5. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

If you have the tech package and automatic liftgate controls, there an always-on 12v source on the lift gate controls under the passenger side liner/trim panel, which has to be pulled away for access. We use it to power the lighted rear applique. Here's a photo of it tapped:

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1