Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constantly rattling door at highway speeds - can you help me diagnose ahead of SC visit? [video]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vibrations in the vehicle - mainly at highway speeds - make the passenger door emit a fast-paced plastic-y rattling sound. If I reach across the car and apply light pressure to the plastic cupholder area, the noise goes away as long as I am applying pressure. Hoping to test this again with someone else driving, but in the absense of that, here's a video of the noise (may need to turn volume up as there is road noise).

Assuming this is a loose clip, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this so I can point the service center in the right direction.

Wow, that's SO quiet, but for sure, annoying. It doesn't sound like a loose clip, but maybe a slight misalignment somewhere in the various curves of the plastic door panel. I'd experiment with finding the exact pressure point, and determine if you could slip a very small thin shim somewhere.

I wouldn't bother the SC over this, but that's just my opinion. In the life of ANY car, these irritating plastic "ticks" come and go. I'm lucky, at around 17k miles, my MY is silent (except for AC low-frequency grumble which is VERY ANNOYING!) (and...at 126k, our 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited is still silent...but exceedingly boring!!!!)

I've had the same sound emitting from the passenger door that I've slightly improved since I took delivery 15 months ago. It comes and goes, though, and of course is nonexsitent when I have mobile service look at it. I've experimented with adding foam tape and shims in the door panel, and it will go away for a day, week or month, and is very temperature specific. I have had similar issues in BMWs and VWs of all years, so this is not something specific to Tesla.

Reactions: turbospecc
Wow, that's SO quiet, but for sure, annoying. It doesn't sound like a loose clip, but maybe a slight misalignment somewhere in the various curves of the plastic door panel. I'd experiment with finding the exact pressure point, and determine if you could slip a very small thin shim somewhere.

I wouldn't bother the SC over this, but that's just my opinion. In the life of ANY car, these irritating plastic "ticks" come and go. I'm lucky, at around 17k miles, my MY is silent (except for AC low-frequency grumble which is VERY ANNOYING!) (and...at 126k, our 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited is still silent...but exceedingly boring!!!!)

It's louder and more annoying IRL! You can hear it when playing audio. My 2016 S and 2019 3 were pretty much perfect over many years of driving the same roads, so it's frustrating the Y has all sorts of rattles (some consistent like this, others only noticeable when going over bumps) after just 2,500 miles. And that's before you get to the noisy HVAC 😄. It was a little cathartic filling out one of those initial quality surveys last weekend.

The service center can’t tie their own shoes they definitely won’t solve this. I doubt they would do more than shove a folded paper between the panel and door frame and waste a few hours of your time.

u better get good at fixing minor stuff like this. Popping the door panel off is pretty simple. Have a look and see, it could be one of the window reg screws/. Mine had 2 loose which hold the rail which the glass slides up and down on. Real pain since the screw heads are inside of the regulator and face towards the door panel. I could only hand Tighten them but it solved my rattle

there’s a sh!tload of screws, just check them all and make sure all the door panel clips are still there

I have the same problem too! I tried taking the door panels off and insulating all the wires. However, the noise is still there. It is definitely in the location of the plastic panels/cupholder area on the door panel. No solution so far

Use a tone generator app, phone Bluetooth through the speakers. This will allow you to sweep through the frequency while parked, reproduce the rattle, and then find it more easily, and verify a fix.
I actually tried this already and it picked up some rattles somewhere in the back of the car, but I couldn't find a frequency to replicate the the door panel rattle.

• Helpful
Reactions: dduffey
I have the same problem too! I tried taking the door panels off and insulating all the wires. However, the noise is still there. It is definitely in the location of the plastic panels/cupholder area on the door panel. No solution so far
The door panel is made from several different parts that are "plastic spot welded" together and also being held by some clips (likely to make the welding easier). I had the lower panel as well as the upper fabric panel rattle. Easy to locate by gently tapping on them.
Solution was to insulate all clips with felt tape and stuff some rolled up felt tape between the main panel and the other panels so that these are under slight pressure so that there is no more movement between panels.

• Informative
I had this exact same problem on my 2021 M3. I saw on another thread to check the wheel well. I did and put some double sided Gorilla Glue tape on some areas in the wheel well and now I don't hear the noise. I noticed the right wheel well connection at the top was not properly connected like the drivers side was. I had the Homelink installed and I'm guessing when he put it back together he didn't get the passenger side front connected right. Either way, the sound that I thought was coming from my passenger side front door was actually a result of the wheel well making noise. I'm guessing it's hitting the metal.

Put your hand inside the cubby and push on the inside of it. The cubby is actually a completely different piece of plastic than the door. The two pieces are held together with plastic rivets. If the noise goes away when you push on the inside of the cubby, you probably have the same problem I had.

Solution here:

I have a similar sound coming from the rear left door. I narrowed it down to the rubber seal around the door frame, not the actual door. It’s like making slight contact and making that tiny rubbing rubber sound. Put a paper or rag in between the door and frame and is dead quiet. Not sure how to fix it yet tho