Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constellation overcharges for electricity through the Community Electricity Aggregation Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Did you get overcharged for your electricity by Eversource this month? Anyone in this group who lives in MA and in the towns and cities that are in the Southeast Regional Planning and Economic Development District (SRPEDD) Community Electricity Aggregation Program (list below) get their energy from Constellation Energy via their local utility (Eversource in my case). Last month, there was a pricing error and many accounts (not all) were overcharged for energy -- $0.1329 instead of $0.0969. Constellation sent a letter apologizing and promising a refund this month. Well, when I got our household electric bill last week, there was a refund, but the higher rate was charged again. So, I called Constellation to report the error. They said they would look into it.

I have a second meter for charging my car that was not overcharged last month, but it was in this month’s bill. So, both my accounts are affected this month. You may want to check your bills if you are in this program.

Affected communities are: Attleboro, Acushnet, Carver, Dartmouth, Dedham, Dighton, Douglas, Dracut, Fairhaven, Fall River, Freetown, Marion, Mattapoisett, New Bedford, Northbridge, Norton, Plainville, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Somerset, Swansea, Westford, Westport

Constellation got back to me yesterday and confirmed that the overcharge I noticed in my September bills did occur in all their residential and business accounts in the Community Aggregation Program. Credits will be issued as before.

I do not know how many accounts are affected, but there are 23 communities in the program, including Fall River and New Bedford, which are both fairly large. So, tens of thousands of accounts, certainly.

It is entirely likely that I would not have noticed the overcharge if I were not tracking my power costs for my EV, and I suspect that few other people have noticed it. It would only amount to a few dollars on a typical bill, and the bills vary quite a bit from month to month anyway.

Anyway, I hope that it does not happen again and that everyone gets the credits they are due...