Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Construction detected warning!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
Driving on the right lane on I-5 there were a bunch of safety barrels off on the shoulder for a couple hundred feet.and I got a warning "Construction detected, Navigate on Autopilot limited". I wonder what is limited? It can't respond to construction lane shifts or detours?

I doubt you will get a consensus on what this means in the same way that today I go the same autopilot limited warning but it was because "poor weather detected".
The weather warning message went away and I never did find out what "limited" meant.

Got the same "construction detected" warning few weeks ago.

But the funny part was I drove through MANY construction zones on that trip and it only gave me the warning for one of them.

I just took it as, EAP is leaning new tricks... slowly but surely ;)

It will not go off the ramp by itself.
Oh, I've had EAP decide to take a LEFT ramp into a closed off EPass lane without warning, if I hadn't had my hands on the wheel to stop it we would have crashed. It does go off onto RIGHT ramps if that's part of your route but it will take LEFT ramps without warning and for no reason (even if you have avoid Toll roads and HOV lanes ticked). This happens going from VA towards Washington DC with those center EPass lanes into and out of the city.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and RunMadM3
A better question might be is: How does it identify a construction area?

1) Neural Network learning and a very basic recognition of a construction site like orange barrels
2) Picks this info up from a 3ed party like traffic info

I bet it is still probably #2 but there will be a time (soon) when it MUST and will switch to #1.

I would think the warning came on because in a construction zone there could be a reduced speed limit that NOA won’t know about, and there could be a worker directing traffic to do something different than normal that NOA would not recognize. These are all things that Tesla is going to have to figure out on their way to Level 5.