Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Construction Started at Brighouse and Grantham

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grantham has had some groundworks in evidence for months, though slight uncertainty whether it was actually superchargers.

However, it was confirmed at the Clubhouse event last week that Grantham is indeed a Supercharger site; construction had apparently been delayed by multiple complex wayleaves being required, but it was said that the last one had finally been signed and construction can be expected to resume.

Grantham now open and working! 8 charging bays situated in the services at park (on the left when you drive in)

Attachments

• IMG_5925.PNG
    IMG_5925.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 122
The tesla.com charging map is showing a Supercharger planned for 2017 in Leicester. Oddly the pin is near to the Leicester Forest East service station, but not on it, so no idea whether it's north, south or both. It's not listed on supercharger.info yet.

Oddly the pin is near to the Leicester Forest East service station, but not on it,

Most of the "coming soon" pins are indicative rather than precise locations - for example, Grantham appeared with a coming soon pin in the town centre even though we've known for months that it's at the service area on the A1. The pin then moved when it opened. Tesla have long been cagey about forthcoming supercharger locations: this was explained to me that they have too often had sites fall through at the last minute from a whole host of reasons, so they like to keep relations warm with the 2nd choice site in an area even when they've made the decision to go with the 1st choice.

However, in this particular case the Welcome Break website gives the game away - they say "Leicester Forest East (North and South)" so it's both sides.

Oh, and amid all this celebration of new sites, one has just closed - the Heathrow (Park Inn) 2-stall site says "closing 4/5/2017" on the in car display, and has disappeared from the website map.

FB Group reporting Tesla boxes have arrived at Fleet north, although the Welcome Break website says south bound so maybe they are in transit. Either way, good news.

I thought that one was mostly ICE'd anyway, and presumably too small for Tesla current strategy of larger supercharger stations + destination charging

I hadn't heard of ICEing being a problem (certainly not when I was using it), but congestion of other Tesla users was a problem, and it is a busy carpark so no room to expand. Probably the site owners weren't doing well out of it either.

No activity at Brighouse?
Everything has been ready for a long time, but still not open for business.
Anybody have any news?

It’s so frustrating... the Leeds supercharger can be a nightmare because of how popular it can be. I don’t have any news on the Brighouse site but it is badly needed.

Can’t see any activity in Wetherby (presumably at the services) or Hull either. Both sites are showing as coming soon on Tesla website.

Can’t see any activity in Wetherby (presumably at the services) or Hull either. Both sites are showing as coming soon on Tesla website.

Comment from Tesla was that after the embarrassment of these sites like Brighouse being built and then held up for (typically) legal agreements relating to power, the planning for the next batch of sites is going to get the power sorted out before starting work on site to build the stalls.