Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Construction Started at Woodall - M1(S) near Sheffield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
According to Supercharger Info: at Services on M1 J30-J31 - South-side (based on zooming-in on the map co-ordinates).

6 stalls

SC_Woodall.jpg

If you look on other forums, there are photos of definite supercharger construction at Woodall southbound (the one you mention above) and also Newport Pagnell southbound, and reports of a conversation with the workers at Woodall saying they were moving on to do Warwick services (M40) next - which aligns with the info on the Welcome Break website, apart from the fact that they say "Woodall (north)" when the construction is visibly happening on the southbound side.

Separately, there are photos of construction activity at Grantham North services on the A1, but it is not yet clear whether this is Supercharger construction or something else unrelated.

Footpath definitely not recommended for wheelchair users - there's a 12" drop over a kerb from the path to the tarmac and no ramps that air could see.

Charging was fast for my X - 372mph

Quite tricky to find the chargers - immediately after the fuel station on the RHS just before rejoining the M1.

Not at South Mimms

Good point. Haven't looked in the car, but I assume its the same as Tesla Website:

sc_SouthMimms_Tesla.jpg

Whereas Google has this which, from memory, is not quite right either - I've stuck a square on it where I think the superchargers are, but maybe Google's Pin is correct?

sc_SouthMimms_Google.jpg

That said from either of those spots it would be easy enough to see the stalls, which is a bit different to where they are tucked away and you'd never stumble over them without an accurate map reference - such as at Birchanger, Stanstead ... actually, now I look at it, that's not in the right place either! but at least the pin is on the right slip-road, so people will find it as I did navigating to that pin the first time I went there (Tesla and Google have the same pin-location)

sc_Birchanger_Google.jpg

Google Maps and Tesla's (website) Map have it here:

View attachment 220633

does that look about right?

When i'm at a new location I assume SatNav map is correct :rolleyes: and I zoom right in, switch to Satellite if that helps (by showing buildings etc) and, so far, that has taken me right to the pump!

Yes, this is correct - the in car navigation is pretty good although I managed to end up in the hotel opposite's car park! It looks as though you are about to rejoin the M1 when you spot the chargers lined up a few yards before. There is a separate entrance which is immediately before the M1 on the RHS - not shown on your map here or the in-car nav.

The in car map is normally highly accurate as to location, not necessarily helpful on how to get there via site roads.

I'm not near my car at present to check the South Mimms situation - possibly it hasn't been updated since the Superchargers moved. Certainly the map extract above shows the old place (but it looks like the website map, and that's not always in sync with the in-car map).

Reactions: WannabeOwner
it looks like the website map, and that's not always in sync with the in-car map

My screenshots are from Tesla Website and Google Maps (which don't always agree). I haven't checked the car, interesting that that might be different from Tesla's website. Supercharger Info seems to mirror Tesla website, but 'coz its using Google Maps you get to see both pins. I wonder why some effort isn't made to get all the key sources in sync, and accurate

I'm not near my car at present to check the South Mimms situation - possibly it hasn't been updated since the Superchargers moved. Certainly the map extract above shows the old place (but it looks like the website map, and that's not always in sync with the in-car map).

Now back in the UK!

Forgot to check when I was at South Mimms yesterday, but looking at it now the marker on the in-car map seems to be in precisely the right place (matching the google marker in the map extract above: your red square is slightly south of the true location, as they created some extra parking spaces when building the superchargers: the google imagery is significantly out of date, also missing the Starbucks Drive-thru).

However, the Tesla website map doesn't match the in-car map: the website map has the old location next to the Ecotricity chargers, by the entrance to the service building.

I visited the Woodall southbound supercharger twice over the bank holiday weekend. Only 2 of the stalls have been converted for M3 use. 3A and 3B. However 3A does not work, after saying "Charging starting" it immediately goes to "Charging stopping".
I did phone the number on the supercharger to report the problem, but after 15 mins with no reply I gave up. I've tried emailing
[email protected] (which I found on some forum), but no reply.
Anybody know of an email address to report such problems?

In the mean time be aware that 3A at Woodall South on the M1 does not work.

We bumped into a Model 3 driver on the 11th Aug in Newport Pagnell who was driving south and had had a similar problem trying to CCS charge in Woodall that morning.

Rather shocking that a problem has been left to go this long unfixed... and not exactly impressive that only two stalls have been converted this far into the Model 3 surge.

Reactions: Rooster6655
not exactly impressive that only two stalls have been converted this far into the Model 3 surge.

Seriously? Tesla completed all-stalls conversion to CCS at 8 sites in UK during AUGUST alone ...

Tesla rolled out 2 CCS stalls at over 65% of Supercharger sites across the whole of the EU in the first two months, and 88% by the end of month 3, including UK ones before left-hand-drive M3 was available (first CCS stall in UK was end Feb 2019)

I think the rate of rollout of all-stalls has progressed at a much more impressive rate than anyone would have expected.

can a model 3 not use the rest of the chargers without the CCS bit?

M3 can charge at any 3rd party CCS site in the UK (1,796 available according to ZapMap), so if Supercharger not available/convenient M3 can use any of those, but ...

What rate if any would a M3 get at a normal non 3 stand?

... 3rd party charging is usually dreadful compared to Supercharger; however some, such a Ionity, have a good reputation and actually charge faster than Supercharger.