Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constructive input - Would you like back-of-front-seat storage pockets?

Constructive input - Would you like back-of-front-seat storage pockets?

• Yes, they should be standard

Votes: 67 55.4%
  • Yes, they should be a no-cost option

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • Yes, they should be a for-cost option

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • No, they should not be an option

Votes: 15 12.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fold down things tend to be at the expense of middle seat comfort (the center back is made for the fold out rather than padded and shaped for people). That's not a bad tradeoff, but I think I actually prefer the removable rear center console prototype Tesla has shown in a few pictures. Ok, it's odd to have something removable, but 99% of the time I'll leave it in place and that other 1% I'll throw it in the frunk. That little bit of hassle is ok by me if my middle back passenger is more comfortable.

I know others hated the removable console though, so I suppose it's a matter of taste and priorities.

I guess I just have a hard time in thinking it would be that hard to make a middle fold-out option while retaining passenger comfort when in "seat mode". This isn't going to make me not buy, but sure would be nice way to add cup-holders in the back! :)

Last edited:
I had no idea these things were so popular and universal.

Universal (what you found) doesn't necessarily mean popular, though obviously there's a subset of Model S folks here who want them. But some of these things are like checkboxes for car-makers...doesn't mean all their customers want them, but the items are standard, so you don't know who actually cares about them or not (or who dislikes them) just because they all make them. IMHO anyway. I'm not saying "they're not popular"...I'm just saying that finding them in most cars doesn't make them popular [with auto buyers]--just commonplace.

Anyway, the mesh-with-reinforced-top is the only way to go, if Tesla offers this as optional or (at some point) standard, IMHO. I don't care for the looks of them (or how many of those cars' seat backs look in general! now I forget what the Model S seat backs look like...), but they seem like they'd be the least troublesome. I don't want them, though. ;-)

Thanks for posting those pix; I didn't realize there was such a variety of seat back pockets out there. The ones you posted of the 2013 BMW series 3 are interesting--cutouts for bottles, it looks like. Instead of "normal" cup holders, I guess? Sacrilege! ;-)