Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports - Automated Driving System Rankings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched but could not find anything on this. I have a CR subscription which includes online and notifications. I received an email with several new tests, including this one. I cannot post since it goes to my online subscription. Has anyone else seen this?

Rankings:
1) Cadillac Super Cruise
2) Tesla AutoPilot
3) Nissan ProPilot Assist
4) Volvo Pilot Assist

Cadillac Better Score:
- Clear When Safe to Use
- Keeping Driver Engaged
- Unresponsive Driver

Tesla Better Score:
- Capability & Performance

The highest criteria was keeping the driver engaged and unresponsive driver. Since Cadillac uses a camera to determine the driver’s eye position it received the higher score. Also since Cadillac only waited 4 seconds to warn the driver to respond and Tesla waited 24 seconds it received the higher score.

GM only allows use in areas that it has previewed and added to their maps, a positive to CR. Since Tesla allows use on secondary roads, even though it may limit speeds to 45, a negative to CR.

It was interesting that CR viewed Tesla’s impressive ability to keep the vehicle centered in its lane as a negative because it’s easy for the drivers to become overreliant on it!!

• Informative
Reactions: V__2 and BlueRocket
That is my concern with autopilot. It’s so good for so long I start to tune out. I also tend to overreact when something does go wrong. It gets tricky. Also the car tracks so well I forget that I have it off and think why anI drifting and realize it’s not on.

Sounds like CR’s assessment is fair at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: V__2 and jdcollins5
The CR report was posted here before, but many don't agree with the weight of their scores. If anything they should have separate #1 awards for different categories; one for performance and capability, and another for keeping drivers engaged. A lesser autopilot system should never have gotten #1 just because it is better at keeping drivers engaged. They are not the same things, people looking for autopilot/driving assist systems care mostly about capability and performance.

Anybody who owns a Tesla and have used EAP knows, the last thing we want is to be nagged even more than we already do. But that's the thing, Tesla's autopilot system with the Model 3 works so well. It's annoying enough to be nagged while the system is doing such a good job at self-driving, we don't need more of it. For other car's autopilot systems, people are going to focus more on the roads because their systems don't work well and disengages randomly quite often. It probably makes sense for other cars to place such high values on keeping drivers engaged.

The overall score should put more weight and reward the car with superior autopilot system in performance and capabilities. Because that's what really matters when it comes to autopilot systems. Or they should have just separated the categories and did away with the overall score. It's like the dumb crash ratings, so many cars have overall 5 star NHTSA crash ratings, even though they are not equally as safe under individual categories.

I get CR monthly from a family gift. It has some interesting reviews but needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It’s opinion, not fact.

AP has surely suffered from the fight with Mobileye that forced massive changes from the ground up instead of incremental improvements. But the fight was two years ago. I would place my money that Tesla will far exceed the Cadillac system someday soon.

Reactions: jdcollins5
I searched but could not find anything on this. I have a CR subscription which includes online and notifications. I received an email with several new tests, including this one. I cannot post since it goes to my online subscription. Has anyone else seen this?

Rankings:
1) Cadillac Super Cruise
2) Tesla AutoPilot
3) Nissan ProPilot Assist
4) Volvo Pilot Assist

Cadillac Better Score:
- Clear When Safe to Use
- Keeping Driver Engaged
- Unresponsive Driver

Tesla Better Score:
- Capability & Performance

The highest criteria was keeping the driver engaged and unresponsive driver. Since Cadillac uses a camera to determine the driver’s eye position it received the higher score. Also since Cadillac only waited 4 seconds to warn the driver to respond and Tesla waited 24 seconds it received the higher score.

GM only allows use in areas that it has previewed and added to their maps, a positive to CR. Since Tesla allows use on secondary roads, even though it may limit speeds to 45, a negative to CR.

It was interesting that CR viewed Tesla’s impressive ability to keep the vehicle centered in its lane as a negative because it’s easy for the drivers to become overreliant on it!!

I cancelled my CR subscription based on how they've been evaluating Tesla.

Just so off on many accounts.

They should rank all cars 0-100, and then start tesla at 100 and go from there.

All gas cars just plain suck for consumers. They are horrible.

Consumer Reports just hasn't woken up to how much easier buying, owning, driving a Tesla is.

I agree with @Gavyne that my personal #1 criteria would be the Capability and Performance category. I will have to give credit to CR for being up front and honest with what they considered most important at the very first of the article. If you read the article with their perspective you can understand how they rated the four vehicles.

Having said that, I am afraid most people reading this article will not have a very good understanding of Automated Driving Systems and will take CR ratings at face value.

I always take CR with a grain of salt and use it for one more piece of information when doing research. More times than not, what I think is important is different than CR.

The CR report was posted here before, but many don't agree with the weight of their scores. If anything they should have separate #1 awards for different categories; one for performance and capability, and another for keeping drivers engaged.
Yup. Their scoring system would rate a terrible system that doesn't actually drive but keeps the driver engaged as comparable to EAP.

One little issue that doesn't seem to be calculated in the CRs score is where does the automation. Cadillac, I believe, is only on some Interstates, and only Interstates.
Everybody else's, is essentially all roads.
To me, that would criteria for exclusion, but not to CR.

I wonder what would happen if CR added something like a 1965 Ford Mustang to the test. It provides the same functionality on 4.12 million miles of roads, compared to the Cadillacs 4.08 million miles of road.

(4.12 million miles of road in use, 42000 miles of Interstates)

One little issue that doesn't seem to be calculated in the CRs score is where does the automation. Cadillac, I believe, is only on some Interstates, and only Interstates.
Everybody else's, is essentially all roads.
To me, that would criteria for exclusion, but not to CR.

I wonder what would happen if CR added something like a 1965 Ford Mustang to the test. It provides the same functionality on 4.12 million miles of roads, compared to the Cadillacs 4.08 million miles of road.

(4.12 million miles of road in use, 42000 miles of Interstates)

CR stated that GM will only allow use on limited-access highways that they have already mapped. CR says this is the best system since it cannot be used on back roads or other places where it could be difficult to maintain control. :(

My wife's Mercades has adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping which mimic Autopilot, and on long drives I do find myself becoming reliant on them and forgetting sometimes when they are turned off. Hasn't been an issue for short drives, but over an hour and I seem to just expect it.

• Informative
Reactions: V__2